Light bar options for 650

There's something to be said for the satisfaction to be gained from making something for yourself that fits your requirements perfectly. And half a day in the garage is time well spent IMO. :D

Now who's gonna have the last say on this one :augie

What's the problem with mounting near indicators Foodle?

An idicator flashing means only one thing in my book... the bulb works :thumb

Dealt with so many accidents over the years where people have pulled out in front of a vehicle indicating... and splat :mcgun

Don't trust 'em misen :rob

:beerjug:

www.adventure.gs

Bought some fog lights from Wunderlich a few years ago. I did like that they mounted on the top fork brace and away from the indicators. Probably does not make a difference really as Micky says, otherwise the Touratech lights would have never passed the German TUV.
One of the mounts, despite of apperently nice quality, vibrateded off during the first longer trip through Corsica. So I am left with one since then, never bothered to replace the other (they disappered from the Wunderlich catalogue as well, at least for the F650GS). So much about quality of professionally produced items sometimes. But, as Foodle, I too prefer to make money at work instead of making my own thingys in my spare time.

However, during the brief time using both of them (twice 55 Watts) I had the impression that my alternator and/or battery have been suffering (flattened my battery). Do you notice something like that if you use yours for a longer period of time?

As I have just recently moved from London to the Continent I have to change my main lights soon to get the bike registered here. Thinking of getting the Touratech Twin Headlights Micky has got on.

Micky, how do they compare to the original lights (my bike is the 2000 model, the later ones I believe to have better lights)? Is it worth the extra compared to the BMW original? Is there still a need then for extra lights in your opinion?

Hi Der Lustenauer

As you know the standard lights are crap... too much light scatter in the wrong direction. I don't know about the TT conversion for the single spark models, because the headlight isn't xenon like on the post 2004 'bikes. But I bet they're better than standard for sure.

The post 2004 Touratech headlights have a xenon headlight, and that just turns night into day. No beam as such, just a fan of bright light in front of you reaching much further. Having a xenon aux headlight, and a fog light to match things up gives you all the light you'll ever need.

I've run the bike with heated jacket plugged in, heated grips on, and all four lights at the front lit.... and the battery/alternator can't quite cope. It will cope though if I don't have the aux xenon and fogs light on :thumb

ie I can run with heated jacket and grips on, and headlight main/dip beam... no probs :)

Hope this helps...

www.adventure.gs

Thank you Micky,
I thought that alternator /battery can't really cope with additional lights for long, will try out the Touratech Twin Headlights and leave my single foglight on (using it only when absolut necessary) till I can see the F800GS in the flesh. Hopefully the alternator on that one will be able to cope with more.

never had a problem with my dakars battery, running pretty much the same setup as micky, cept that all of the lights are hids, 3 running hids at 35 watts is 5 watts less than having both the standard high and low beam on at the same time (which the tt light allows you to do)

dak4hid.jpg

All 4 lights work now, the left one had a starter go bad :blast

Ran it all the way down from scotland with all lights on (pissing down and dark) with no problems, even had the heated grips on at some points :mmmm

The alternator on the 650gs bikes are 400 watts :thumb2 (possibly only on abs equipped bikes tho,i'm not quite sure on that one)

Last edited:
The alternator on the 650gs bikes are 400 watts :thumb2 (possibly only on abs equipped bikes tho,i'm not quite sure on that one)

I can remember reading something on the lines of the ABS model having higher watts alternator. Can anyone confirm?

What's the problem with mounting near indicators Foodle?

Some articles suggest that having them mounted near the indicators doesn't make you as visible to other road users as much as the triangular setup. Plus they can reduce the visibilty of the indicators - allegedley.

Aye up John (RC Mad)... wondered how long it would take for you to pop up on this one :eek: What took you so long :D

Foodle... I don't give a damn about my conspicuicy... I've been T boned while riding a fully marked police bike! I ride as if THEY don't know I'm there... stood me in good stead for the last 44 years and half a million miles :thumb

Police pal of mine was T boned when he had his two tone horns and blue lights on.... my cocoon of safety is in my head :eek:

www.adventure.gs

hi micky, how are you :D

Been busy looking at lgv courses around here, bloody expensive they are too :eek: Only a week left till i'm down at drago for two weeks :bounce1

You do know it was your fault i bought the tt headlights micky, the pics put me over the edge :rob :D :D

micky is right about the not seeing you, and the indicators. I've had someone look right at me on a roundabout and pull out. Ride like you are invisible, cos they don't see you anyway :nenau

Aye up John (RC Mad)... wondered how long it would take for you to pop up on this one :eek: What took you so long :D

Foodle... I don't give a damn about my conspicuicy... I've been T boned while riding a fully marked police bike! I ride as if THEY don't know I'm there... stood me in good stead for the last 44 years and half a million miles :thumb

Police pal of mine was T boned when he had his two tone horns and blue lights on.... my cocoon of safety is in my head :eek:

www.adventure.gs

Not quite sure what your point is?

Any arse that rides around thinking a hi-vis jacket or extra lights avoids any problems is slightly deluded.

BUT, making yourself more visible cannot be a bad thing, surely?

Not quite sure what your point is?

Any arse that rides around thinking a hi-vis jacket or extra lights avoids any problems is slightly deluded.

BUT, making yourself more visible cannot be a bad thing, surely?

I quite agree Foodle, making yourself more visible can indeed be no bad thing!

BUT does one then become complacent... "I've done my bit, THEY can see me!" OK you say you wouldn't, but by the very nature of saying 'it can be no bad thing' we are subconciously going down that path.

There are lots of deluded people out there thinking they are safe because they have HiViz. The highway code says we should wear white helmets, bright clothingetc.... so as to be seen! What the feck... we are there to be seen and any education should be with the miopic car drivers to look properly.

So I rely on my wits, on body language, and I ride as if I am totally invisible, like RCMad. In days gone by I would have been a gunslinger, a town marshal, Wyatt Earp... I don't look for the hand going to the gun, I look at their eyes, their body language. I can most often as not tell where a car is going to be going even before the driver makes a move....

About 70% of motorcycle accidents are caused by car drivers, about 30% we cause ourselves by falling off, hitting gravel, getting corners wrong etc. That 70% of accidents caused by car drivers I'll put £50 on the table and say that 80% or 90% of those could have been avoidable had we spotted the prat behind the wheel and done his thinking for him :eek: The accident was his fault... but we could have avoided it!

I've never had an accident that was anyone elses fault but mine:eek:

www.adventure.gs

So I rely on my wits, on body language, and I ride as if I am totally invisible, like RCMad. In days gone by I would have been a gunslinger, a town marshal, Wyatt Earp... I don't look for the hand going to the gun, I look at their eyes, their body language. I can most often as not tell where a car is going to be going even before the driver makes a move....
www.adventure.gs

Had someone pull out on me in the car yesterday,my young passenger who has recently passed his said "you braked before that car started moving!" Daft thing was,I couldn't explain why! Sometime you just get 'that feeling'

Tony

Had someone pull out on me in the car yesterday,my young passenger who has recently passed his said "you braked before that car started moving!" Daft thing was,I couldn't explain why! Sometime you just get 'that feeling'

Tony

The force is strong with this one...

Pictures as promised

Pictures as promised, although a bit late :augie

Main beam and LED's
P1010043.jpg

All lights on
P1010044.jpg

P1010045.jpg

P1010046.jpg

P1010047.jpg

Looks nice. I s'pose it could also double up as cruise pegs as well perhaps?
Is that a Stebel Nautilus you have there as well? How have you got that mounted?

Does look good alright, just got a friend to pick me up one stateside.

It should be here in a couple of weeks. With a set of Les's Micro DE lights - converted to HID, it should light up the road literally :D

Looks nice. I s'pose it could also double up as cruise pegs as well perhaps?
Is that a Stebel Nautilus you have there as well? How have you got that mounted?

Yes thats a nautilus, time for another piccie? I bought two shelf brackets from B&Q, quite sturdy, about 5mm thick, cut them down, sprayed them cos they were B&Q brown, bolted them together to form an 'S' shape and used the bottom bolt on the frame to mount it.

I can do DIY, but it's got to look good :)

Nice work Foodle. I've been looking to fit my Nautilus and you've given me an idea. I've got a bit of steel lying about that will do nicely.
Cheers! :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom