Replacing fuel injectors with carbs?

blackduck

Hi,
has anyone any information about replacing all this high tech injection system with carbs and the sort of results achieved?

Stephen Edwards

Why do it?Are you going for a trip or a bit of desert racing?
HPN do it to Desert Racing GS's aka Deeks Factory bike.

It isn't on the cards for the moment. I am just skeptical of all this technology that makes us so dependant on the dealers. My dream bike would be my 1100 with nothing I couldn't work on myself. Mind you there is not a lot to work on as she works so well and she is a 94 model to boot.
Ever asked yourself why the Paris - Dakars all have carbs but the civie bikes have injectors?
It must be more than just emissions because after all they have factory backing.
If I was headed for the bush big style I think I would want to simplify things a bit. One would not want to fry one's motherboard or what ever half way across the Gobi or anything.

Stephen

I asked this question ages ago, and got pretty much the same reply. At the end of the day anythings possible and I know Bings will fit and work. How much is then left for the motronic to do is a matter of interpreting a circuit diagram.
It will probably require a new loom and this will have to work with a normal oil temp gauge.
As to wether this is worth it is a question only you can answer.
I hate the injectors and have been rubbish from the start. I have always longed to go back to a straightforward setup.
There are plenty of websites with R11 with crbs on and I have a few German magazines with racing R11`s on carbs, I feel a properly setup carb is as good as any injector, and is only a way that BMW can ensure we dont interfere with the workings of the bike too much.
Best of luck.

If you ever do this let me know.

Back
Top Bottom