DIY oil cooler guard

(RIP) MOTÖRHEAD

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK, Sunday afternoon and feeling in the mood to do manly things.
Making something out of metal and wielding an angle grinder seemed a good way of escaping the house to a retreat where I could beat my chest and strut about with a tool that produces sparks (easy now ladies).

Today's 'Look what I made at school today' topic is -

Build your own oil cooler guard for my 1150 GSA.

First you will need some perforated stainless sheet/gause that you blagged off a mate who intern blagged it from his work to make a part for his DIY BBQ.

Next. Some old rubber screen trim that had come off some old GPZ screen that has been hiding in the corner of the garage for a while.

Angle grinder (Using a hack saw on stainless is a pain)

Glue gun for attaching rubber screen trim to edges

A piece of cardboard & pen for making a template

And finally - A door to shut to keep the kids away from the spinning angle grinder wheel & to block out the vision of the wife going mental over the noise.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 3,159
A bit of measuring, cutting, bending and a smidge of rhino gack from the glue gun, and we get this.
There is an angle bent on the top edge of the grill but my crappo angle of David Baily-ism doesn't show it to well.

Doesn't look like much. Well, what did you expect - a scale model of the Bismarck?!

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,108
After a bit of faffing with the beak to loosen and drop it a tad, new creation was put in place and the beak was tightened back into place.

Now, stand back and beat your chest with pride.....
Not THAT hard. You don't want to wind yourself!

Now I know it doesn't have 'GS' carved out of it & there are no fancy turned out louvered bits on it, but it's polished stainless, has holes, will protect the rad, and still allow the oil to be cooled.

And besides, the one in the Tourette's catalogue is about £35 and this one was free.

Best of all, I made it.

Queue: theme tune to 'Why Don't You'.

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,576
First you will need some perforated stainless sheet/gause that you blagged off a mate who intern blagged it from his work to make a part for his DIY BBQ.

Any chance of a picture of the DIY BBQ?

same as you made one up one day when i bought the bike in april.also got a sheet of thick black plastic and after 30 minutes had made hand guard extensions,20quid from touratech,front mudflap and rear mudflap.not sure how much they would cost but reckon ive saved about 100 quid in total,nice to know im not the only tight git on here

Back
Top Bottom