switch to Mac?

2.4 = 4.8 as it's a dual core.

If your old one is Hyperthreaded, it's worth about 1.15 real cpus. So it should be about 50% faster in basic cpu terms.

It's also probably got a faster memory bus, and better video card, and will knock spots off it in real application use.

1GB is o.k. for OS X but I'm sorely tempted to stick another 2GB in both my machines now the prices are down to about £20/gb. (www.macsales.com)

:)

Just run that by me again in language that a bufoon would understand.

Intel's last generation of CPUs could interleave operations a bit, i.e. execute something while doing something else. It presents itself as 2 logical cpus to the OS, but in practice you can only really do about 1.15 times as much work per second as a single CPU.

Core 2 - 2 separate CPUs sharing only a cache on the processor, essentially able to do twice as much work as a single.

Core 2 Duo - better still, 64 bit enabled, bigger caches I think.

There are quad core cpus available now. Much easier to add cores than up the processor speed (and get rid of the additional heat required) these days.

Hardly any application these days uses all that power, bar games and encoding video or music, so the really important things are the speed and quantity of memory, similar for disk. Also for a gamer the ability to delegate all the drawing on the screen to another CPU on the video card.

Just recieved the macbook, like it!
now just need my bonus to fund a 24in imac!!

oh, and yes, it just works!!

23" cinema display and a mac mini is also a price sensitive option. in the order of 1k.

Back
Top Bottom