Got my 1st 'proper' bike :) a few Q's?

Zafira

Reaction score
Picked up my new bike today - Yamaha ybr 125 in red:)
Much better than that chinese import i had:D(to which the dealers had already sold it on:nenau:D)

Anyhow rode it back 18 miles home and it is really good:bounce1
But i have to run it in obviously as its new....

the dealers said not to go over 6000 revs for first 600miles- which equates to approx 45 mph??:mmmm
But they said you can go over those revs b/c the engine will be tight but not excessively?

what does that mean??

obviously i want to get out on it and do a lot of miles to get used to it etc and practise for my test on 2nd nov....

But not really sure how to ride it to run it in properly?

Any advice? please:D

:redlight:redlightCan of worms alert:redlight:redlight

Personally, I'd just ride it normally, under all sorts of loadings and revs and speeds.

Modern engines don't need as much running in as older ones....and there's a lot of evidence that supports the theory that wringing their necks seats in the rings and coats the barrels of the pistons properly- without that happening, in the future the engine won't make as much power and will use more oil.

Whatever, it's probably irrelevant because you can be damn sure that the guy who sits on every bike as they come off the production line in a sound proof booth revs the nuts off them in all gears and even if the first owner doesn't do it, this initial hard treatment may well be enough.

Have a read of THIS superb site :thumb2

Enjoy the bike though....and again, will it really matter, 'cos how long are you planning to keep it?

Wring its balls, then sell it :thumb2

Running In!

Hi Zafira

Congratulations on getting your new bike:beerjug:

All engines when they are new should be treated gently to give all the moving parts inside time to wear in. The harder you work or rev an engine, the hotter it will get, and when metal gets hot it expands, and there is a risk that parts that move may get stuck... :eek: and seize up.

Manufacturers would recomend that the engine is not revved to highly for a short amount of time, based on how long they think it will take for all the parts to get a small amount of wear. Also, the engine shouldnt be laboured. engine speed should be varied and good use of gears also help. New engines also often use oil during their running in period.. so you should keep an eye on it:thumb2

Hope that a help

Enjoy your bike:D

Chris

:rolleyes:
2 different answers!

what it says in my manual....

0-300mile
avoid prolonged operation above 6000 r/min.
after every hour of operation, stop the engine, and then let it cool for 5-10 mins.
vary the engine speed from time to time.
Do not operate the engine at one set throttle position.

On my way back home i didnt go above 6000 revs which equated to 45mph....
But there was national speed limits and also 30 and 40 mph limits so i was going between 30-45 all the way home? and cars were overtaking me :(

so would it be best to drive around town and some country roads then give it a bit of wellie above 6000 rpm now and again or not?

It just says if it might overheat with prolonged full throttle operation?
does that mean like it would overheat possibly sticking at 6000 rpm for quite a few miles:confused:

Fanums link sounds tempting but.....:D

Use the rpms by all means BUT DO NOT "slog" the engine (attempt to pull too high a gear at lower rpm/road speeds) - this will do it no good at all.

Been out again today:)
Did 58 miles , through town,country roads etc- loved it:D
Tried not to 'slog' the engine-didnt do too bad i thought- gradually getting used to it:D
Trying to make it all come together smoothly:)
Upped the rpm to 7500 on a national speed limit - it did 60 easy enough and it felt like it could do more easily enough but i didnt want to push it just in case:)
so hopefuly i will be running it in ok:)
Did loads of u-turns some good -some had the foot down:blast
Still- i'm getting some practise in and enjoying it:D
And if i'm doing anything wrong i'm sure i will get told when i get my DA training:D
Out to do a load more miles tomorrow- love it!-its great:D:thumb2

Been out again today:)

And if i'm doing anything wrong i'm sure i will get told when i get my DA training:D

You will certainly be guided professionally and with courteosly during your course :D

Pleased you are getting out there and most of all enjoying it :thumb2

keep up the good work :D

Hi Ian- cheers:D
enjoying it?- yes very much:D:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1
shall be heading out your way end of next week or the week after-want to hopefully get my 1st service done(600miles) before my course:D (almost 100 down - 500 to go:D)
:thumb2

At the rate you are going your service could well be next week! :D
Good to see you getting the mileage in, on your course you will be doing anything from 50 - 100 miles per day. It will be lots of hard work as i will be making you do all the things you dont like, for instance, the infamous u-turn. You will also be doing lots of slow speed tight left and right turns, mini roundabout and everything else that requires slow speed control skills. it goes without saying that you will be shown the correct technique first and then set about practicing it in real road situations.
I am a firm believer that the more road and junction types you experience under guidance during your training the better rider you become. I am not promising you will enjoy them, but you will master them :thumb2

lots of 'slow' riding- now that sounds scary:D!
yep- hope you get me to 'master' those turns etc-still a bit dodgy trying on my own at the mo:D
Not worried about enjoying them lol- just want to 'master' it:D
asked b/f earlier how do you slow down on a bend?- what brake do you use?
he said brakes? - you slow down first with throttle and gears -don't use breaks on the bend?
Oops!:nenau

hope my arms and wrists stop aching tho(wasn't expecting them to be thatachy:eek:- or i get accustomed to it:D

:rolleyes:
2 different answers!

what it says in my manual....

0-300mile
avoid prolonged operation above 6000 r/min.
after every hour of operation, stop the engine, and then let it cool for 5-10 mins.
vary the engine speed from time to time.
Do not operate the engine at one set throttle position.

On my way back home i didnt go above 6000 revs which equated to 45mph....
But there was national speed limits and also 30 and 40 mph limits so i was going between 30-45 all the way home? and cars were overtaking me :(

so would it be best to drive around town and some country roads then give it a bit of wellie above 6000 rpm now and again or not?

It just says if it might overheat with prolonged full throttle operation?
does that mean like it would overheat possibly sticking at 6000 rpm for quite a few miles:confused:

Fanums link sounds tempting but.....:D

Hi there. Just a thought but you'd think Yamaha might have considered how best to treat their new engines? I think they've made a maybe a million or so, so ought to be getting the hang of it now? :thumb2 :rob

Above all have some fun and let the warranty take care of the worry.......

Hooky

asked b/f earlier how do you slow down on a bend?- what brake do you use?
he said brakes? - you slow down first with throttle and gears -don't use breaks on the bend?

Hope my arms and wrists stop aching tho(wasn't expecting them to be thatachy:eek:- or i get accustomed to it:D

It is best to slow down using the brakes before the bend and focus your vision up through the bend looking for the exit. super impose yourself riding where you will be in 3 seconds time and look there. if you do feel the need to slow down, try to only use the rear brake whilst using a slight throttle. This will keep the bike more stable and not put too much force on the front wheel.

your arms and wrists are aching because you are tense and holding on too tight. Try to relax. if you try talking out loud or singing it helps. The more you ride, the more comfortable you will feel on your bike and the less you will ache.

Why don't you ask everyone what oil to put in it that should be good fun:clap:clap

Back
Top Bottom