Netgear Router

A few more questions...

What model of Netgear router do you have - can't see that mentioned above?

How many other computers are you trying to connect?

from your latest description it looks like you are trying to achieve this network config
hn_topology1.gif

You need two network cards in the "ICS" PC.

Hiya Clive .
Netgear 108 Mbps Rangemax ADSL Modem Wireless Router.

All i want is 1 main pc connected to the router from the telephone line(and not using any other modem, im not trying to use the speedtouch at the same time, the new router was to replace that modem) and to be able to get my wifes laptop running wireless.
I would have thought this is the simplest setup going:blast(well simple if youre not some kind of computer retard like me that is:nenau)
All i can say is, im glad its giving you all something to pass your time:thumb2
off to work now so ill be looking again tomoro afternoon

my wifes laptop running wireless.
Hopefully the laptop will also have a "wired" etehernet connection?

If so power up the Netgear router and connect the Laptop into it - can you get into the config screen with the laptop?

Sounds like it might be disabled in the BIOS after all :confused:

Assuming all kit is switched off. Connect phoneline to router and LAN cable from router to 'puter and switch router on. Wait a couple of mins then switch 'puter on.

Once booted up, goto START>Connect to>show all connections. There ought to be Local Are Connection showing.

If not, it may not have been enabled in the 'puter's BIOS. BIOS is accessed whilst computer is booting up by swiftly hitting a 'F' key, usually F8, but sometimes F2 or F11...your 'puter manual should tell you.

Once in the BIOS, check through the various screens until you find something which allows you to 'enable LAN' port or something similar....and enable it. Remember to SAVE the settings before you exit BIOS, then reboot 'puter.

You should now be able to see a LAN connection in the 'Show all connections' mode.

If you R click on this and select 'properties' it should show the LAN adapter and if you look on the 'Advanced' tab, it should show some selection for the Adapter's configuration mode. If it doesn't, select something like 'full duplex' and apply it.

You should now be able to both get into the router's setup screen to input your ISP username and password and then connect.

It 's easier than it sounds....no really it is.....Daz.....come back....Daz....?

should i be getting sparks and fings and black smoke cumming out of the air vents?

Ok things are looking brighter.
Been into BIOS and eventualy found OnChip Lan(nvidia) (disabled)
This was the only thing i could see with Lan.
Ive enabled it , rebooted and my pc can now see the Lan connection.
But i now have to install some software or a driver for it to work.
Will this be the motherboard driver?
Im getting all excited now:thumb

if you have disc for the motherboard try that or go on the net to find the driver, whoops you can't get on the net can you!

Try windows for the driver aswell.

NO !

Follow my previous notes about configuring the LAN connection, since you've been able to enable it !

Ignore the black smoke.......drive thru it...you know it makes sense.....

LOL

Guys,

If you can't see a LAN (Local Are Connections) in networks it aint running,

Fresh rebuild of XP says to me that you havent load the correct drivers for teh on board lan card, After first reboot it won't tell you its failing again...

So first test plug network (RJ45) cable from lan port on pc to router while all turned on does a pop up tell you you have connected ?

Does a green light on the router appear on the front number 1 -4 ?

Look up you PC model type go to maufacutures website and download NIC (network interface card) drivers and install them,

Light come on?

Let me know or ring me www.parkernet.co.uk

R's Graham MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Ediot) LOL

Just a little update, things have been put on hold .
Had a big smash on bike on Saturday, offroad , 3 different hospitals within 12 hours and 40 stiches along with other aching and stiff parts(no comments on that ta)
Oh yeah and a fooked bike:augie

Bloody 'ell mate, I guess the router's the least of yer worries.

Glad you're around to post on the forum so soon and hope its not long before the parts that aren't meant to be stiff aren't, and the parts that are, well, are......

Go easy on the "painkiller":101 and all the best for a speedy recovery.

Just a little update, things have been put on hold .
Had a big smash on bike on Saturday, offroad , 3 different hospitals within 12 hours and 40 stiches along with other aching and stiff parts(no comments on that ta)
Oh yeah and a fooked bike:augie
Should have stayed in and worked out the router problem :eek:

Get well soon.

:tears:tears:tears

Get well soon mate - just don't break the Speedtouch connection while you're laid up or we won't be able to abuse you in your time of need :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom