Runt of the litter?

Timolgra

reformed
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've had a GS 650 Dakar in the past and didn't like it:( but have recently got my hands on Chris the Fat Twats ex proper Dakar bike which is awesome.

I've been tweaking and riding it off road every day since I got it home it bears very little resemblence to the standard bike

So do you reckon the 650 is the runt of the GS litter?
:hide

Nope, the engines smaller and its slower than the others, but by no means the runt. :rob

Its Just the smaller, better looking sister :p, Not that i'm biased or anything :augie

DRZ400 (snooperized :rolleyes:) V HP2 V Fat Twat's ex?

Walk the talk ;)

:popcorn

I've had a GS 650 Dakar in the past and didn't like it:(
Why not?:nenau

You didn't like it on the road? or didn't like it on the dirt?

I think those in the 650 section need to know.;)

Always thought mine was a great compromise, easily coping with 140 miles of M62 commute, and getting mucky at the weekends. :thumb2

I've been tweaking and riding it off road every day since I got it home it bears very little resemblence to the standard bike

What is it that makes it so different from a regular Dakar? And in what way does it feel different? Is it a power thing? Weight? Suspension/ride?

After buying the HP2 I didn't have the heart to sell my Dakar as it was my first bike and I'm kinda hoping my G/F might like to try it. But I was also thinking about making it in to a projct bike :augie

I had a Dakar once - new in late 2001.

Thought it was a great road bike - once I'd make a mod to the standard screen.

Never really used it off road but it pelted along really rough tarmac.

Yeah load of crap....... Not a proper BWM........ It don't break down enough....... It's not enough of a fashion statement....... Leave us alone we're quite happy as we are ...........Move along nothing to see here.

:D
Yeah load of crap....... Not a proper BWM........ It don't break down enough....... It's not enough of a fashion statement....... Leave us alone we're quite happy as we are ...........Move along nothing to see here.
:clap:D:D:D

Why not?:nenau

You didn't like it on the road? or didn't like it on the dirt?

I think those in the 650 section need to know.;)

To be honest I probably didn't give it a real chance in terms of getting it sorted.
It had a Remus and K&N but always felt wooly without the grunt you'd expect from a 650 single.

The Rallye bike on the other hand flies off the whiff of throttle.
Obviously the engine has been 'breathed on', the exhaust was straight through although has a small baffle in it now, it's running a 15T front and 49T rear sprocket oh and the throttle is 1/8th turn to full:thumb

But it was the handling which I couldn't get on with on the standard 650 Dakar, the front always felt vague, too soft and as if it had too much front rake:confused:

The rallye bike has 50mm Marzocchi forks (the ones that should have been fitted to the HP2) WP rear shock and taller subframe.

The 650 engine seems to be bullet proof and the whole bike has far less reliability issues than many of the bigger bikes, so Runt of the Litter was a question not a statement.
Just a shame BMW didn't make the 650 Dakar like this one I found on ADVrider.

Attachments

• dscf00117ff (Small).jpg
    dscf00117ff (Small).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 166
Since in these colours, it has to be one of the best looking bikes BMW have produced .....1150SE aside;)

I've ridden the Rallye 650 offroad every day since I've had it, which is only around 10 days, when I'm even more familiar with it I'll post my thoughts, some of which may help improve what is already a great bike.

Here's that pretty Dakar again:)

Attachments

• dscf00161xu (Small).jpg
    dscf00161xu (Small).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 177
Since in these colours, it has to be one of the best looking bikes BMW have produced .....1150SE aside;)

I've ridden the Rallye 650 offroad every day since I've had it, which is only around 10 days, when I'm even more familiar with it I'll post my thoughts, some of which may help improve what is already a great bike.

Here's that pretty Dakar again:)

My Dakar has that paint job - another reason why I've been unable to sell it...

Lets see some pics of your Rallye bike Tim.

18" or 17" rear wheel? The bike above looks like it's got an 18"er, from what I remember there aint a lot of room for an 18", leaving somewhat limited chain adjustment (with standard swingarm).

Back
Top Bottom