SELF SERVICE

Ginger DJ

Reaction score
By my own admission I am not all that mechanically minded but i would like to be able to do an oil and filter change on my own. Any recomendations for what oil filters and plug i should use and what is the best way to go about it, is there an order I should do it in?
Thanks
650 GS 2002

Hi, gingerdj!

I can't help you with a source for parts, but I can point you to a very good source of information. Visit the Chain Gang website for tonnes of information, both in the forums and in the technical faq's.

Two bits of info about your oil change: first, you should be able to re-use your drain plug unless it's really bunged up. You'll want to replace the crush washer, however, to keep the plug from leaking. Second, read the oil change faq on the f650 site. I've linked you to the procedure for FI and Dakar models; I believe the 2002 is injected. If not, you can find the other procedure in the faq's.

Good luck! Oil changes are quite easy on the f650!

Bohdan

Buy your service items from BMW.
As they're cheap anyway any savings are going to be minimal buying elsewhere.

It's easy. I'm a mechanical moron and I do my own oil changes. I buy my parts and oil from BMW, I figure they'll have the right stuff. I recall in the FAQ's it tell you that to drain the oil tank you should remove it from the bike, no need to do that. It's got a drain bolt on it, just un-do it and drain the tank oil into a pan/bottle/whatever will hold it.

I recall in the FAQ's it tell you that to drain the oil tank you should remove it from the bike, no need to do that. It's got a drain bolt on it, just un-do it and drain the tank oil into a pan/bottle/whatever will hold it.

I'll second that. On my 650, when it would come time to drain the tank, I'd simply leave the bike on the sidestand and remove the drain plug, making sure I had a pan or some catch-basin strategically placed to catch the oil. No need to remove the tank at all!

Bohdan

Cheers guys.. One more thing, what's the best spark plug i can put in the old girl

I did my first oil change last weekend. To get all of the oil out of the tank you do need to take it off and turn it.

You will also need to remove the sump guard to get at the sump bolt.

When changing the oil filter, put a piece of drainpipe under the filter cover before removing it and it will save a big mess (there is a BMW bit for this but I just used an 18" piece of drainpipe and it worked perfectly).

Oil. I just used Halfords oil. I checked on other sites for the best type and most people recommended this one.

One thing you might need to be careful with is putting in new oil. The manual recommends putting in 2L then running for 30 secs and putting in another .3L. I couldn't get 2L in to start. Then after running for 30 secs and putting in the rest, there was too much oil.

I'm not terribly mechanically minded but it only took me about 1 1/2 hours to do, under the strict supervision of my chap.

I

Oil. I just used Halfords oil. I checked on other sites for the best type and most people recommended this one.

One thing you might need to be careful with is putting in new oil. The manual recommends putting in 2L then running for 30 secs and putting in another .3L. I couldn't get 2L in to start. Then after running for 30 secs and putting in the rest, there was too much oil.

That's very odd,I always do just that and it works fine - 2.3litres is the correct quantity! What makes you think there was too much oil?
Also,just wondering who recommends Halfords oil and why -it's certainly cheaper than the Castrol I use.

Tony

That's very odd,I always do just that and it works fine - 2.3litres is the correct quantity! What makes you think there was too much oil?
Also,just wondering who recommends Halfords oil and why -it's certainly cheaper than the Castrol I use.

Tony
To start with it just wouldn't fit in. And then after following the workshop manual instructions and where the oil level should be it was much too high.

As for the Halfords oil my signigicantly better half looked into it. It might have been on the F650 forum. Gladys Emmanuel is now running soooo sweetly.

On the spark plug front is it the NGK DR8EB that is best?

The DR8EA is the recommended plug,I think the DR8EB is for later (twinspark?)models.
Whether it's 'the best' depends on how your bike is running! I you are suffering any surging problems you may like to try the Iridium extended tip DPR8EIX-9.
I've been running this type for the last 25,000mls. and it has eliminated the surging.It's not approved by BMW though so it's at your own risk!Plenty of info on the chaingang site:http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/custom_fixes_for_s_and_s.htm#Projected Tip Spark Plug Fix
and else where.

Tony

Another vote for DR8EA for my single plug, 2002 model.
It's the recommended plug so it's what I use.
£2.50 from Moto-Bins.

Back
Top Bottom