Mud, Sweat & gears-A Sunday In Hampshire & Surrey

(RIP) MOTÖRHEAD

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Being Inspired by Clive's OS 144 map thread & realising that there's quite a bit of fun to be had in the local are, me & Dave (pinkytiff) rendezvoused at Farnham Station, each brandishing some form of map with routes highlighted all over.
I'd got most of the 144 map (Hampshire area) covered but Dave had a few routes tucked up his sleeve from his OS 145 (Surrey) map.

Now I'm never happy in the morning until I've got a coffee down my neck. It was 10am and I'd still not had one (Earlier I was too busy taking the chocolate BMW fogs of to minimise potential damage that could possibly occur later on).

So with a quick review of highlighted bits of paper and the programming of Dave's Garmin box of magical mapping, we headed from Farnham to Hindhead (for an extortionately priced brew and butty courtesy of the National Trust) and using a few lanes along the way, to get us there.
So although inspired by all of Clive's hard work on the 144 routes and the night before I spent mapping it all out, naturally, we head in the other direction.:blast

The first run was off Sheephatch Lane to the B3004.
We then took a second route up Crooksbury Hill and the Third was was across Frensham common from Sandy Lane.

Had a little run in with the local ranger/warden while on the common.
He seemed to insist that we got to where we were by accessing a bridal path that had no access for motorised transport. Dave wasn't having any of it, I tell ya, and the warden was a bit taken back when Dave dismounted (nearly dropping his 1200 in the sand but recovered with dignity) and marched right up to our accuser while firmly, yet politely,(and quite loudly) said "YOU show me where you THINK we were & I tell you where we REALLY were.:rob:D

We ended up having a good chat with the warden while overlooked by his two backup bods who appeared out of their Landy once they hear Dave giving it some polite, yet firm, volume.
Dave pointed out he knew this particular area well, as it's where he walks his dog. I on the other hand didn't have a F*ckin' clue where we were but bluffed along with some blarny about always respecting the local area, bla,de,bla,de-bla. :eek

Here are a few pics that we took on our way to Hindhead for our brew.

Dave in mid save after the back end of his 1200 had snaked all over the place in the loose sand :eek: & a ,composed 'no sweat' pose, after :cool:

Attachments

• 01-SandSlide.jpg
    01-SandSlide.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 479
  • 02-Dave12onSand.jpg
    02-Dave12onSand.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 514
Nice little water crossing & after puddle to get the boots damp.

My camera is crap, so sorry for ballsing up what could have been a great pic of a 12 going through the water at a fairly rapid pace.

Attachments

• 03a-DaveWaterCross1.jpg
    03a-DaveWaterCross1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 404
  • 03b-MeAboutToCross.jpg
    03b-MeAboutToCross.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 404
  • 03c-MeWaterCross.jpg
    03c-MeWaterCross.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 397
  • 04-DavePuddle.jpg
    04-DavePuddle.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 405
After we had our Breakfast (Cheers Dave) we planned a direct route back to Alton way, so we could at least try some of Clive's 144 routes, but we'd do this via a route that was recommended as being do-able for GSs.

water lane was where we were heading next. Bring it on!

Oh how it always looks so inviting and easy when you get to the entrance, confirm it's a legal byway and enter thinking you'll have this 1.2 mile section sorted within no time at all.:augie

As we rounded the first bend we were greeted with a bit of an incline.
Not a problem, just keep an eye on the ruts and just hope the stones don't get any bigger.

It was all going quite well at this stage.

Attachments

• 05-DaveInRutts.jpg
    05-DaveInRutts.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 397
  • 06-DaveRuttClose.jpg
    06-DaveRuttClose.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 397
After what seemed like a fairly nice ride down a sloping track, it all started to get a bit tougher.
Sod stopping for pics, I was starting to boil in my kit (and yes, I'd taken my thermal liner out this time:blast;)) and I really didn't want to lose what momentum I'd got. Not always entirely comfortable on the pegs, I would do a few metres on the seat instead of standing.
Every now and then, when stopping to see if my engine bars would fit down the next section, Dave would be yelling behind me, to get back up on the pegs.
He was making good ground and having to wait every now and then to avoid a possible sliding shunt.
You could tell the difference in riding styles, confidence, and the BMW level 1 course had definitely proved benifisial for the rapidly closing 1200 pilot.
We eventually came to an elevated clearing and we realised that the lane was a channel in between two fields.It was time for a quick break.

Then we saw what was ahead, did a quick walk forwards, muttered a few expletives at what lay ahead and came back to the bikes for a breather, some banter and a few choice clichés to lift our bravado for the next section (and we weren't quite at the half way mark yet!)

The pics looking down into the next section, really don't convey the steepness of what lay ahead.

We swapped over & Dave took the lead for the next half.

Attachments

• 07-D-WaterLane.jpg
    07-D-WaterLane.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 404
  • 08-1150-WaterLane.jpg
    08-1150-WaterLane.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 385
  • 09-D-ReconWaterLane.jpg
    09-D-ReconWaterLane.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 379
  • 10-D-DownWaterLane.jpg
    10-D-DownWaterLane.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 390
Remember I mentioned steepness?

Dave snapped this half way down the second half of Water lane.
I think you'll get the gist of what riding/sliding down.
(Top shot btw mate :thumb2)

I know it may be a walk in the park for some, but it was a definite eye opener for us.

Attachments

• 11-CrazyManInWoods.jpg
    11-CrazyManInWoods.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2,203
I was starting to flag a bit & knackered was an understatement but needed to press on in order to catch the 1200 that was now about 100 metres ahead.

In the end I could start too see the exit & Dave in brighter light. The avenue and tunnel of overhead branches had stopped and a welcoming grassy track lay ahead.

Why is it, that you can make it through an incredibly demanding route, avoid potential & expensive disaster to break out into the safety of the open and very easy ground to THEN drop the bloody machine!!!!!
How the f*ck does that happen?

"I did exactly the same bloody thing!" came Dave's voice with a note of hilarity.

So we both made it through (the now legendary) Water Lane, into the safe open ground and both dropped our GSs at exacly the same point?:blast

Again...How the f*ck does that happen?:nenau:D

So Water Lane - about 1.2miles and done in about an hour & a half.
And yes, it is do-able on a GS (Jesus wept) & I'm bloody glad we did it :D

Attachments

• 12-LieDown1.jpg
    12-LieDown1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 424
  • 13-LieDown2.jpg
    13-LieDown2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 598
  • 14-DaveEndOfWaterLane.jpg
    14-DaveEndOfWaterLane.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 416
My kitchen pass was soon to run out so we headed off to an air field where they had a café & finished off with a coffee and some well deserved banter.

Dave, cheers for a reet good laugh and I'm working on a fresh kitchen pass so we can get stuck into the 144 routes.:beerjug:

Bloody good day and the couple of beers I sank later went down a treat.:clap

Nice report and pics the same thing happens to me all the time :thumb

Nice report,Motorhead :thumb2 . Glad you "enjoyed" yourselves.The more i read of these reports,the more i'm glad that my GS has 17" wheels and Road Rubber.Fair play to those that go Off Piste,but it ain't EVER going to appeal to me.

Mud. Sweat & Gears!

My kitchen pass was soon to run out so we headed off to an air field where they had a café & finished off with a coffee and some well deserved banter.

Dave, cheers for a reet good laugh and I'm working on a fresh kitchen pass so we can get stuck into the 144 routes.:beerjug:

Bloody good day and the couple of beers I sank later went down a treat.:clap

First things first - you're officially appointed as the reporter for future runs - great write up! Just to make sure that all those Tossers flocking to try Water Lane can find it - its here! Hurry up with the kitchen pass matey, bike needs to get dirty again;-):thumb2

Attachments

• water_lane.jpg
    water_lane.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 346
Just to make sure that all those Tossers flocking to try Water Lane can find it - its here! Hurry up with the kitchen pass matey, bike needs to get dirty again;-):thumb2
Well done guys :clap

Water lane can get a bit deep (from wetroads site)
east%20worldham2.jpg

I find it easier to go the opposite way you did ;)
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=696509&postcount=17
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=696511&postcount=18
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=696514&postcount=19

Forry, Dee Tee, Clive - Cheers guys.

Well done guys :clap
Funnily enough, we were actually wondering if you'd done Water Lane yet.
Should have known you'd already got it covered.
Feel quite good now, knowing that we made it through a route that you've rated technical. Nice one.

Thanks for that report and I'd be up for joining you guys next time. We need more dirt!

Dave,

Nice report - was all you mentioned on Sunday.

Cheers - Jeff

Back
Top Bottom