Route de Grande Alps 2007 : Photos and log

Day 7 cont: Lunch down in Jausiers and a chance to watch some of the Tour de France on TV. They were riding the Col du Galbier which if you've ever riden you'll know what it must be like on a pedal bike...'specailly those nutters who ride 'le tour'. The Col du Galbier gives fantastic views but the trick is not to take your eyes off the road.
Moved onto Braincon via the Col d'Iseran.
Miles travelled: 115 miles

Col d'Iseran

Day 8: Braincon - Morgex (Italy)
Left Braincon, fueling just out of town. Mak's Speed Triple starting to play up with some stalling and general lethargy. It was running so decided to push on, hoping it was just an altitude thing....although, yes..it is f/injection but that's all we could put it down to.

South side of the Col de Galbier

Day 8 cont : Like I say, the Galbier offers great views. You can chose to take a tunnel which cuts off the peak or take the old road going up and over.
Quickly followed by the Col d'Iseran

Day 8 cont : Road up the Grande Bernard Pass but what a mess. Major road works during our trip and the Italians ignoring the red lights caused problems. Having to stop a fully laden GS on a hairpin ain't no laughing matter....W@n$$rS !
Picked up a nice campsite on the Italian side at Morgex.
Waking up to this view is what it's all about :

Day 9: The Speed Triple needs help so we head for Brig in Switzerland where we know there's a Triumph dealer..........the best in town apparently. Sure enough, they plugged in the computer and re-mapped the system. EU20 later.........off we went on our merry way with a hesitant, lazy speed triple taking up 3rd spot. Oh well, my GS was running brilliant.
Camped up at nr the Furka Pass then Baz and I went off on the Honda an GS to Andermatt via the Furka Pass. Brilliant......the bikes were unloaded and it was play time.
Miles travelled : 140miles

Andermatt in the distance

Day 10: Up and over the Grimsel Pass. (The size limitations on this site impact the true dimensions of this shot...the original is superb) Reservoir on the left..........cloud in front.

Day 10 cont: Picked our way through Switzerland (didn't have a vignette) and headed up to the Vosges. Bad weather started to move in (this was during the flooding in the UK) so made a steady ride up to Verdun, finishing off at Argonne........the largest American WWI cemetry.

Day 11 : Heading back to Zeebrugge in heavy rain. Got to the Brussels ring road and lost Mak. Normally I wouldn't be too concerned with Zeebrugge being straight up the road but I wasn't sure if his bike had died.......couple of text messages later and we discovered he was on his way to Antwerp !!....half hour later we met up...getting to the ferry terminal an hour later.

.......so that was that.........another trip done and gone. Some of the photos are disappointing but like I say, it's down to the limitations of the site.

Total Miles travelled: 2430

Really nice pics and report. :thumb2 Yet another place to mark on my "must got there one day soon" list.

Thanks for letting us see :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom