Waterproof Motocross Boots?

PhaedrusMC

By which I mean actually & fully waterproof - does such a boot exist?

Mark

I stand to be corrected........but.............not that I've ever come across.

I use Seal Skin socks - makes my MX boots more waterproof than 'waterproof' boots :thumb2

Andres

Sidi Tepor range are MX / Trials boots with goretex type liner so unless you let the water in from the top of the boot they are waterprproof as much as anything can be. Diadora also make a waterproof trails boot with a removable goretex inner boot.

If you're going to use them off-road and in the winter then no. No such boot exists. You'll pay more for a lesser quality boot with a goretex liner that's as much use as the proverbial fireguard when you razz through big puddles or cross streams.
Get a good pair of motocross boots and a pair of sealskinz socks as mentioned above.
At some point if you're doing a bit of serious trail riding you will end up with a boot full of water. Sealskinz are neoprene so they absorb a small amount of water and heat it up so it acts like a thermal layer ala wetsuit:thumb2
Anything else just ends up wet (thats my personal experiance anyhoo).
There's something quite satisfying about being able to wade into 2 foot of water to suss out a line and know your feet will still be toasty on the rest of the ride:thumb

Problem with waterproof boots when off roading is that they fill up like wellies

Tesco bags:thumb

For some reason, my Sidi Top Actions never leaked, though the design seemed to be a model for water ingress ath the instep.

My Alpinestars Vectors let so much water in in moderate rain, it wasn't funny. I ended up wearing bags when I knew it'd be wet.

If they can make truly waterproof hiking boots (my current pair are Chiruca Canadas: http://www.fal.es/ing/chiruca/caza/invierno2006/ing/index.htm ), and road riding boots (Sidi's own Black Rain/Evo boots have won awards for being waterproof, FFS!), why can't they make truly waterproof motocross boots?

Of all the types of bike boots, it strikes me that a prerequisite function of a motocross boot should be that it's waterproof, IMO.

The tongue of my Chiruca boots is gusseted right up to the top of the boot. I've stepped in the shallows of a lake to within a couple of inches of the top (and these are high boots) and there was absolutely no water ingress.

Obviously if the water gets in over the top of any boot it's game over.

It just really baffles me that if you're spending £200+ on boots designed for riding off road (where there is occasionally some water... :eek:), that you also need to take measures yourself to stop your feet getting wet.

Crazy.

Problem with waterproof boots when off roading is that they fill up like wellies

Tesco bags:thumb

I suppose that makes sense in thoery, but realistically motocross boots are by necessity of function very snug-fitting, with almost no room for water to "fill up".

Mark

Seal Skins worked for me in two weeks of torrential rain in Norway last year although they did smell a bit. Most important thing to remember is that although they are machine washable they are destroyed by tumble dryers as I found out to my cost.
I spent ages looking for waterproof boots and found nothing. Now switch between MX boots and HG Tuareg Gortex ones depending on type of riding and weather forecast!!

Waterproof

I'm told that sidi courier's are waterproof, but I'm skeptical about that one.

I wear alpinstars tech 4's and they get water in them - as i think every motorcross style boot does.

However, when w went to Garmisch this year, Baron had a good trick, ne bought a pair of hikers gators - you know that go over the boot and up the leg to the knee.

Clever idea, helps to stop the water getting into the boot - just need to find a pair that are big enough to go over the boot itself, otherwise as someone else has mentioned - a good old tesco bag :)

Hope that helps

By which I mean actually & fully waterproof - does such a boot exist?

Mark

For some reason, my Sidi Top Actions never leaked, though the design seemed to be a model for water ingress ath the instep.

My Alpinestars Vectors let so much water in in moderate rain, it wasn't funny. I ended up wearing bags when I knew it'd be wet.

If they can make truly waterproof hiking boots (my current pair are Chiruca Canadas: http://www.fal.es/ing/chiruca/caza/invierno2006/ing/index.htm ), and road riding boots (Sidi's own Black Rain/Evo boots have won awards for being waterproof, FFS!), why can't they make truly waterproof motocross boots?

Of all the types of bike boots, it strikes me that a prerequisite function of a motocross boot should be that it's waterproof, IMO.

The tongue of my Chiruca boots is gusseted right up to the top of the boot. I've stepped in the shallows of a lake to within a couple of inches of the top (and these are high boots) and there was absolutely no water ingress.

Obviously if the water gets in over the top of any boot it's game over.

It just really baffles me that if you're spending £200+ on boots designed for riding off road (where there is occasionally some water... :eek:), that you also need to take measures yourself to stop your feet getting wet.

Crazy.

I suppose that makes sense in thoery, but realistically motocross boots are by necessity of function very snug-fitting, with almost no room for water to "fill up".

Mark
ALL MOTORCROSS BOOTS LEAK..SHOCK HORROR:blast

solution
long (up to top of shin)version of army gortex socks, any good surplus store should have them, no more wet cold feet
wear them with a pair of sports socks, no cold feet BUT the luxury of dry feet on a long hard days trail riding cannot be beat:thumb2

My own thread from around the time I first joined. :thumb2

Now we do have choice - Sidi Adventure, Alpinestars Toucan, Alpinestars Corozal, and others.

Not motocross boots by a long stretch, but still with levels of protection that come much closer to MX that the average touring boot. For cost reasons, I got a pair of Alpinestars Roam 2 - a basic waterproof (TBC) road/touring boot - until I can splurge on a beefier boot.

So now that there are waterproof options with near-MX levels of protection, have all y'all opinions changed in terms of non-waterproof boots + SealSkinz vs waterproof boots? Would the SealSkinz fanz (oh yeah :thumb) still go that route, or could you be persuaded to the waterproof camp?

Mx boots are designed for racing 1/2 hr on a prepped track,why would you expect them to be waterproof (goretex)
That said, when new ,my tech 10 boots are not bad,the last pair took a few years before being porous.
Also the boots are designed to be worn with the trousers "in", the armour is bulky so most textile suits won't fit over them easily .
So they fill up from the top making sealskinz essential for trail or road riding
the soles are smooth,cos you don't really want the boot to grip too much when you take a dab at speed,rendering them pretty shite for trail riding
The modern adv Boots just have "the look" and are nothing like a top end mx boot.
Just a fashionable touring boot with reasonable protection

I'm told that sidi courier's are waterproof, but I'm skeptical about that one.

I bought my Couriers in 07 and they are still 100% waterproof to this day. Not an MX boot tho - trials or green lanes only.

Mx boots are designed for racing 1/2 hr on a prepped track,why would you expect them to be waterproof (goretex)
That said, when new ,my tech 10 boots are not bad,the last pair took a few years before being porous.
Also the boots are designed to be worn with the trousers "in", the armour is bulky so most textile suits won't fit over them easily .
So they fill up from the top making sealskinz essential for trail or road riding
the soles are smooth,cos you don't really want the boot to grip too much when you take a dab at speed,rendering them pretty shite for trail riding
The modern adv Boots just have "the look" and are nothing like a top end mx boot.
Just a fashionable touring boot with reasonable protection

For actual motocross use, I don't imagine boots must be waterproof. I was asking from the perspective of using an MX boot as a daily boot or a touring boot.

A full-on MX boot may not be everyone's cuppa for daily use, so the "adv" boots are the appropriate compromise. Personally, I'd see them as a beefy touring boot with better protection than a "normal" touring boot (though obviously - as I mentioned - not in the same league as an MX boot), rather than a wannabe MX boot,

For me the fashion factor (in terms of "looking the part", or following a trend) is irrelevant, though I would want a boot I like the look of. I used Alpinestars Vectors (probably a trail/trial boot?) as my daily boot when I had my FireStorm. They were more hefty & solid than any road/sports boot I tried, but still gave plenty of feel & comfort. Did I care when lads passed remarks?

Anyway, given that we're nearly 9 odd years on from my original question, and that new types of boot have come to market: waterproof adventure [sic] boot (Sidi Adventure, Alpinestars Toucan et al) vs light-medium MX boot (O'Neal Element III, Gaerne GX-1 Evo, et al) with SealSkinz for touring with a mix of on- & (light) off-road?

Back
Top Bottom