"Enduro" or "Rally" suits

jimmystewpot

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently ride using a Rukka suit which is primarily for road use. I am however currently looking for a new riding suit which is more suited to off road use. Particularly in warmer climates like northern Africa, Southern Europe and the Middle east. The Rukka suit I have (steel jacket and unit pants) is awful in the heat, but nice in the cooler temperatures.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Rukka AllRoad, Hein Gericke range or BMW enduro products, I am open to suggestions if anyone has any advice. Has anyone ridden with these suits before and if so are they good when its hot and when its cold (even If the clothing requires a liner to be added for cold weather conditions). We are planning a Trip next year which will cover Scandinavia, Russia, Iran and a large mix of central asia, and the temperature variation is huge.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy.

i have a bmw savanna 2 jacket which is superb in warm weather. i would buy the trousers too, but they appear to be for long legged giants :(

I find my Rallye2 ONLY good in warm conditions :blast

so this might be an option for you :)

Hi,

Out of interest what do you define as warm vs cold ?

Regards,

Jimmy

warm 20* +

cold = less than 20*

to give you a more practical illustration last month I travelled from Dresden to Sicliy - the first stage from here to Innsbruck was around 15* and rained. I was genuinely chilled despite sweatshirt and gore-tex liner. :mad: Wasnt too impressed with my 1000Euro new suit. :tears

All changed however when I passed in to Italy and continued south. Temperatures rose to mid-35* at certain points and I simply ditched the liner and opened the vents and found the suit to work perfectly :)

There is NO perfect suit and it will always be a compromise - if you're lucky enough to remain in one temp zone then you can buy the suit that's most suitable. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Rallye2 for warm climes :thumb

makes a good make-shift table-cloth too :D

hope this helps

Trev

Attachments

• 0020000.jpg
    0020000.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 778
I've got an old savana suite and an new R2 jacket both are good

the savana now has as real lived in feel about it and lasted really well for being thrown about in all sorts of cr4p. the R2 I think is fine did not find it too bad in cold came back from lakes this morning had the liners in plus fleece it was alright I thought.

windchill chart is something like this

+6 centigrade still
wind chill at 10Kph = +3
wind chill at 20Kph = -2
wind chill at 30Kph = -5
wind chill at 40Kph = -7

I have no idea what it was at 90mph but i did stop every 90 mins for a stretch and coffee.

Been wearing my Rallye 2 today and it's quite chilly up North. Got a buffalo mountain shirt on underneath it and it's toasty, on it's own with the liner it is a cool jacket though.
I've also got a savanna 2 I use on the road during the winter. The key to being comfortable in both jackets is to layer up properly and use a prober base layer not something cotton.
Due to the savanna being longer you don't get the draught round the torso you do with the rallye.
I use the rallye for trail riding too when the versatility is a real bonus. When out on sunday it was freezing (literally as I found out when I lost the front on ice) at first so had the liner in with a helly base layer. By 11 it was warming up so out came the liner. A few miles further on and i got stuck on a snotty climb, sweating like a good un so opened up the vents and returned to a comfortable temp in no time:thumb2
If I was going on a trip where the tempereature would not drop below 15*C then I personally would take my rallye. If there was a chance it would get colder then the savanna.

I agree with the recommendation for the Buffalo as a thermal layer, toasty.

As for windchill, a mountaineering instructor told me that windchill increases as windspeed increases, but only up to about 40mph. After that the windchill remains roughly constant.

My Belstaff jacket is spot on (not a waxed effort, cordura etc). Hein Gericke trousers are fine till it rains, then the wedding vegetables get proper soaked. Probably my fault for going for the cheaper version instead of springing for Gore Tex.

was just looking at my jumper thing it's a merino wool top:thumb north face extreme series fleece and then the R2 or savana ontop no trouble around the old melon well the neck I've got my old TA wooly balacalva just as good as a buff and had it 20 years.:thumb(top value for money)

just extrapulated the figures for windchill

still -2 =
-8 at 10 kph
-12 at 20 kph
-16 at 30 kph
-19 at 40 kph

BBRRRRGGGHHHH!:eek:

suit

Hi,

I currently ride using a Rukka suit which is primarily for road use. I am however currently looking for a new riding suit which is more suited to off road use. Particularly in warmer climates like northern Africa, Southern Europe and the Middle east. The Rukka suit I have (steel jacket and unit pants) is awful in the heat, but nice in the cooler temperatures.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Rukka AllRoad, Hein Gericke range or BMW enduro products, I am open to suggestions if anyone has any advice. Has anyone ridden with these suits before and if so are they good when its hot and when its cold (even If the clothing requires a liner to be added for cold weather conditions). We are planning a Trip next year which will cover Scandinavia, Russia, Iran and a large mix of central asia, and the temperature variation is huge.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy.

I have only been using my new SPADA 2 peice suit for a couple of months now but its been getting rather cold last 2 weeks. I can honestly say this is a great suit for the money. It has kept me bone dry in a very very heavy downpour i was in for a couple of hours. I have not had the thermal liner in yet, even in the colder days and i'm plenty warm enough. I can imagine the heat with it in as its well quilted. it comes with ce approved protection and has about 20 pockets, so great for travelling in and storing all your small items. Has loads of vent zips for hotter climes and looks good too. These sell for only £200 for the suit but if you look in my thread in the bargains forum you will get it for £149.99 which is a real steal if you ask me. there is loads of adjustments on this also so you can get it to fit you perfectly.
I know the bmw suits look the part (Ewin Mcgreggor film star looks :augie) but i cant see the value in a suit thats not warm enough for all seasons and weathers. I particularly dont like the fact its not waterproof unless the liner is in. If it gets soaked it adds very unwelcome weight IMO. Maybe some other tosser will put me right about it and as ive never owned one so cant really comment, other than the points already made here and on other bmw forums. Which made my mind up for me, and also the fact the SPADA suit costs so much less ( enough to fuel your trip?) "pays yer money and takes yer chance" mate.
Only my 2p's worth. :rob

I particularly dont like the fact its not waterproof unless the liner is in. If it gets soaked it adds very unwelcome weight IMO.

quite agree. i use a lightweight waterproof jacket OVER my savanna. don't know what it's called, but it's made by bmw and costs £60ish, less than 1/2 the cost of a liner. legs available too.

definitely waterproof, makes the savanna warm + the bonus is, you can wear it as a fairly presentable jacket off the bike, at your destination :thumb2

edit: it's called RainLock

j_rainlock_anthrazit.jpg

Have a look at Rev'it also. I have just aquired an expedition jacket that has removable liners & thermal layer + it has loads of vents and stuff.

A good base layer for summer and a mid layer when it's getting chilly.

I rode in 2-4 degrees 'tother day and I was not too hot, not too cold.

Really good gear.

Jacket is £220 rrp IIRC.

:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Sorry guy's, can't get round why you would want a £700-£900 bit of gear that,
1, wont keep you warm if required,
2, wont be waterproof.
And having to buy a further over jacket and trousers to keep the weather off that VERY expensive suit????? Boy i cant understand it!
Spada suit
1,less than quarter the price,
2, waterproof,
3,warm as toast, even without the extra thermal liner!
4,and has more pockets than fagan.

Hello, hello, hello, is there anybody in there?

suits you sir

this should be rephrased as ONLY good in warm and DRY conditions

im using the rally2 pro kit and feck me its cold out there!! Wishing I didnt ditch all my cheap gear in Germany now...

Ah Chris, its a fashion thing, it must be. may as well have bought a borat mankini, wont look as good but probably warmer than that bit of bling.
good ventilation too.:aidan

I like the fit and hang of the Rallye suit but am very disappointed with the lack of waterproofing. Just one waterproof pocket, so whilst you can keep your passport dry, your mobile phone, wallet, hanky and everything else you're carrying gets soaked. And the soaking outer layer means the chill gets through directly to the liner, so you then need multiple layers underneath that to compensate.

What's with the zip-off bum bag? And the zip-off arms feature is totally wasted on me. Why would I want to wear the outer layer with the armour removed, then take the arms off?

And due to a design cockup, the latest version of the suit doesn't include the securing loop for the hydration system.

And in the heat of Morocco recently I asked myself several times a day why I had bought a suit with black shoulders and arms.

Tim

Sorry guy's, can't get round why you would want a £700-£900 bit of gear that,

Hello, hello, hello, is there anybody in there?

Bit hard to look like a Dakar legend in a crappy Spada suit :augie

Herein lies perhaps the answer - why buy a cool bike and then use dull/boring gear? :nenau

It just gives you a good excuse to go out and buy something that is waterproof and warm i.e Aerostich here we come :)

(not to self - gotta stop wasting money on bike stuff :blast)

Back
Top Bottom