Short rider advice

fritz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
North Yorkshire - but the map isn't the territory
Looking into possibility of Bev being able to ride a 650GS (none Dakar!), need some first hand experiences of ladies (or gents) of similar height so we can make a decision on whether a 650GS would be possible. Bev is 5Ft 1” and a standard 650GS would be too high (tip toes one side, foot in air other). That’s with rear suspension on lowest and forks in normal position. I know Kouba links will lower rear suspension and forks could come an inch through clamps, but would that be enough? No point finding a bike and then it being no good for her to ride.
Practical experiences only please

:rolleyes:

My wife's F650 GS (A 2003 model) is fitted with a Wunderlich lowered saddle which means that she can just about touch down with tippy toes (The bike also has the slightly lowered suspension). Emma's 5'00" if that helps.

:thumb

didn't beemer do a cs650 a belt driven one....they were very low....think the gs650 is 770/780mm seat height linkage or a different shock will lower it more...i know kopcat has her gs650 lowered and shes shorter than me......and you can always get the foam removed from the seat....good luck with the gs lowerin......janie

My 650 is on standard at the moment 780 I believe, I think the lower seat is something like 730 or 740 not sure now, my previous bike was 840 and much better, have found the 650 a tad low, I am five foot 4 I think :confused: But it all depends on the inside leg measurement really not how tall you are I feel. Its all down to personal preference I guess.

if thats the case buy it and make it lower.........at 5ft1 there are very few bikes that u can flat foot.......i don't infact even with a lower seat and the linkage/shock done she will be able to flat foot the gs........its all about confidence and learning that all you need is the balls of your feet on the floor.........good luck with your hunt....i myself is whats known as a shortarse.....i'm 5.4 and i ride a lowered 1200gs with no problem at all.....maybe a boot with a think sole could help as well..... daytona do a boot with a built up sole......

:eek:

I don't know how BMW made the bike lower, whether it's via the linkage at the back end or via a different shock. I also lowered the preload down as far as it would go which helped a little.

I think that the lower version was approx 20mm lower than standard but don't quote me on that.

:thumb2

I'm 5' 2.

I lowered the back with Kuba links and dropped the forks (OK, I got someone to do it for me...:p)

That was enough for me to get both feet about 80% down.

Last week changed the saddle to a Corbin - I took it our for a test ride and Sunday, and as well as being like sliding around on a bread board, it was a fraction of an inch higher, which made a huge negative difference to my confidence. So I'll be going back to the standard seat.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find a combination of adjustments which will work. Good luck! (When will bike manufacturers start designing bikes with women in mind eh? Mutter, mumble....)

Couple of other points to remember when lowering:

It's not as stable on the side stand (since the angle's compromised) so watch out on a less than flat surface.

And putting it on the centre stand is a real bugger!

Couple of other points to remember when lowering:

It's not as stable on the side stand (since the angle's compromised) so watch out on a less than flat surface.

And putting it on the centre stand is a real bugger!

BMW list a shorter side and centre stand from the "factory lowered" model. :thumb

Stumpy

I tend to agree with this statement :nenau

The only thing I've found in all research that meets requirements - hush my mouth - is in the dark side corner.....

"The Suzuki DR650 is the ONLY dual sport 650 that is adjustable from the factory to be set lower. The rear shock has a two position adjuster to lower the bike by about 3/4". On the forks you simply turn over a spacer inside the fork to lower it 3/4" up front. All dealers know about this and its in the manual. Suzuki even make a shorter side stand for the lowered bike"

Although the F650 has the factory option of lowered, you can't lower 'on the fly'

Biggest advantage of the above is MUCH lighter weight

Biggest disadvantage.....only available in USA

bugger :(

The only thing I've found in all research that meets requirements - hush my mouth - is in the dark side corner.....

"The Suzuki DR650 is the ONLY dual sport 650 that is adjustable from the factory to be set lower. The rear shock has a two position adjuster to lower the bike by about 3/4". On the forks you simply turn over a spacer inside the fork to lower it 3/4" up front. All dealers know about this and its in the manual. Suzuki even make a shorter side stand for the lowered bike"

Although the F650 has the factory option of lowered, you can't lower 'on the fly'

Biggest advantage of the above is MUCH lighter weight

Biggest disadvantage.....only available in USA

bugger :(

I 'may' be selling my very sorted DR650SE (electric start) soon.:blast

Attachments

• IMGP2263%20%28Small%29.JPG
    IMGP2263%20%28Small%29.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 45
I may be interested :rolleyes:

Would need lowering though - not got the in-built options outlined above...well I assume not anyway :confused:

It does:)
The rear shock has two positions for mounting, at present it's on the higher setting.

I sold a mint GS650 Dakar to buy this bike and IMO it's a much better, although less refined bike. Proper offroad capabilty as opposed to a token on the GS and much lighter as you say. Also crash and bomb proof by comparison.
A shame they can't be bought new in the UK, the market here seems to fall for all the bling.

Better brakes on the GS and options of ABS and heated grips and better for long distance road work, plus of course it's a GS if that matters;)

Back
Top Bottom