Finally HiD H4-3 in stock

What about a dual setup?
My africa twin has 2 h4 lights
Is there a different-double version?

What about a dual setup?
My africa twin has 2 h4 lights
Is there a different-double version?

No just two H4's need to be fitted, there should be loads of room for the ballasts on the AT :thumb2

How long do these take to become fully bright and if switching from dip to full beam on a H4 is there a delay?.... Mind only concern is that the time it takes to get to full beam from dip and visa versa

How long do these take to become fully bright and if switching from dip to full beam on a H4 is there a delay?.... Mind only concern is that the time it takes to get to full beam from dip and visa versa

I think the H4-3 uses the one bulb, but has a solenoid to move it from the dip to the high beam focus

btw Les i have sent a cheque

I think the H4-3 uses the one bulb, but has a solenoid to move it from the dip to the high beam focus

btw Les i have sent a cheque

I take it the bulb moves or shroud moves then if Im correct to alter the beam?

I will post some pictures to give you more an idea.

I have fitted a few of these now and you are right, the change from Hi to low is lightning fast. The only problem with these 'telescopic' HID conversions is that on some the lamp does not move far enough to reveal the shroud cut out at the bottom. What this means is that the 'focus' point will move to the correct high beam location, however, the lower half of the reflector is left in the dark. Net result is that the high beam pattern is cut off too low and the road is not iluminated above the horizon. The cure is to carefully file out the lower cut out on the lamp shroud untill the light emitting 'globe' part of the HID lamp is open to the slot (high beam position only) and hence light will now shine onto the lower part of the refector as it should do.

I have done this small change to a few of these kits now and the results give a beam pattern of the same shape as the origonal H4 lamp but with much more light.

RESULT :thumb

I have fitted a few of these now and you are right, the change from Hi to low is lightning fast. The only problem with these 'telescopic' HID conversions is that on some the lamp does not move far enough to reveal the shroud cut out at the bottom. What this means is that the 'focus' point will move to the correct high beam location, however, the lower half of the reflector is left in the dark. Net result is that the high beam pattern is cut off too low and the road is not iluminated above the horizon. The cure is to carefully file out the lower cut out on the lamp shroud untill the light emitting 'globe' part of the HID lamp is open to the slot (high beam position only) and hence light will now shine onto the lower part of the refector as it should do.

I have done this small change to a few of these kits now and the results give a beam pattern of the same shape as the origonal H4 lamp but with much more light.

will i need to do this to the one your supplying Les, or does it work straight out of the box :nenau

Richard ... do you have a foto of the before and after shots of the chrome slot, so we can work out what side you file and how much?

Fitted my kit today. Really straight forward, the only snag on a 1100GS is that the burner/solenoid assembly is too long to fit in the black plastic Headlamp housing as it catches the adjuster pin that runs through the rear centre of the housing (sorry, no pics as I've still not got a camera sorted:eek:). Whip the pin out and cut about 5mm off and it'll just to say fit :thumb
Not been out in the dark yet but a quick trial in the garage looks impressive :)

I've just spent the last couple of hours fitting on of Les 's kits to main and dipped on my 1200- really easy to fit and it makes a huge difference!

I'd go out for a ride to properly test them but instead of drinking tea as per the supplied instructions I was on the "Old Speckled Hen"...

HID light upgrades

Don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade but you need to be aware that upgrading you bike to HID technically invalidates your bikes type approval, while it is a massive leap forward , I just wonder where you stand with your insurance. According to the DVLA HID lights have to be coupled to a mechanism that can lower the aim of the lights on the move to compensate for load.
One could argue that the 1150 have such a device with the toggle on the headland adjuster, but it also has to have a headlamp washer, and the reflector and lens has to be type approved with the HID discharge bulb to E standard, which pretty much kills it.
Before you start booing, I converted my 1150 almost two years ago, and being 25 twice I can actually see where I am going so consider myself safer, I told my insurance and they didn’t seem to bother too much, It wasn’t until I got insurance for my sons car that it was one of the questions on the online proposal, and if you declared you had retrofitted they declined to quote. Just wonder how long it will be before they ask the bikers

Don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade but you need to be aware that upgrading you bike to HID technically invalidates your bikes type approval, while it is a massive leap forward , I just wonder where you stand with your insurance. According to the DVLA HID lights have to be coupled to a mechanism that can lower the aim of the lights on the move to compensate for load.
One could argue that the 1150 have such a device with the toggle on the headland adjuster, but it also has to have a headlamp washer, and the reflector and lens has to be type approved with the HID discharge bulb to E standard, which pretty much kills it.
Before you start booing, I converted my 1150 almost two years ago, and being 25 twice I can actually see where I am going so consider myself safer, I told my insurance and they didn’t seem to bother too much, It wasn’t until I got insurance for my sons car that it was one of the questions on the online proposal, and if you declared you had retrofitted they declined to quote. Just wonder how long it will be before they ask the bikers

I am sorry I haven't see you is the end! I prefer to pay £200 extra in my insurance and to be in a safe side an one piece.HID's transform the bike riding.
You see me you know I cam and I am fast and furious No more sorry.:rob

I am sorry I haven't see you is the end! I prefer to pay £200 extra in my insurance and to be in a safe side an one piece.HID's transform the bike riding.

you just cant see your clock :augie:augie

You have missed my point,no matter how you dress it up,better or not by fitting HID kit your bike/ car without the type approved lens,reflector, or paying extra insurance wont change the fact that your vehicle is no longer type approved.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.
In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

Transport Technology and Standards 6
Department for Transport
Zone 2/04
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street Telephone: 020 7944 2078

"HID lights have to be coupled to a mechanism that can lower the aim of the lights on the move to compensate for load."

The K1200GT & LT have factory HID as option but no mechanism to compensate for load:nenau . I had HID on 1150RT & 1200RT huge improvement

Back
Top Bottom