Which DR?

scots_jon

Reaction score
After years of moaning, have finally moved out of London to leafy Wilts and this means I have the ultimate of luxuries, a garage. The shoping list of toys to fill it with is pretty long and near the top is a cheap trail bike to start experimenting with my first green lanes.

I've pretty much decided on a DR of some sort, but looking through the opions here and on thumpertalk I've got pretty confused with the different models and the relative merits of each.

What are the main differences between the DRZ400 S and E versions? E is the enduro, right? What does that actualy get over and above the S?

What about the 350, these seem to come with an even bigger range of suffix.

Looking on eBay I'm reckoning to spend around 1500 on the bike, then who knows what on farkels.

It would be great if it was also up to being used as a winter hack to keep the salt of the GS, but that's not vital.

Cheers,
Jon.

Can't tell you much about the DRZ's, but:

The DR350's essentially came in 2 models, the 350E 'enduro' ( kickstart and not road legal ) and the 350SE 'dual sport' ( electric start, speedo, rev counter, lights etc - enough to make it road legal ). The 'E' model also has a better Mikuni carb flatside carb as opposed to the SE model Mikuni CV carb. The DR's were virtually unchanged up until 1998/99 (last year of production) when both models got better ( cartridge in the front ) suspension. There's also a SHC model which had upside down forks and height adjustable suspension, but it's very rare. £1500 should get you a DR350 in VERY good condition - or an average DRZ.

DRZ's (I've never ridden one) are reportedly basically a better bike, but more complex and less reliable than the older DR's, if you're into that kind of thing (recognise the theme?!).

Plenty of info on the DR models here, here and here.

I recently got an '99 SE model from Mike off this site and I'm smitten :thumb

Pluck

Get the S if you are not going to use the bike just for enduros. Forget the 350, the 400 was brought out to replace it (yes the 350 is a cracking little bike but its old tech).

A.

Get the S if you are not going to use the bike just for enduros. Forget the 350, the 400 was brought out to replace it (yes the 350 is a cracking little bike but its old tech).

A.

But for £1500 you'll buy a shed of a 400 or a mint 350, spend a tad more and you 'could' buy a fully sorted DR650SE:)

But for £1500 you'll buy a shed of a 400 or a mint 350, spend a tad more and you 'could' buy a fully sorted DR650SE:)

Hi Timolgra, I'm trying to narrow it down, not add other options! Seriously though, I reckoned the DR650 would probably be a bit to heavy as I reckon i'll be droping it a lot (haven't really ridden off road for almost twenty years). I had a XTZ750 once and I wouldn't like to have been picking that up too often.

Sounds like a DRZ400S is the one for me. Are there any major differences in the model years to look out for?

Cheers everyone for all the help.
Jon.

£1,600 will buy you an 03 400S mint, 3,000 miles on the clock. :thumb2

350's and 650's are holding high value as there are not many of them about. All three are great bikes with lots of customisation stuff available.

• The 650 is better at cruising but not as good off-road, stock suspension is crap. Go for the 97 model. 55MPG~
  • The 350 is worse off-road and on-road than the 400 but is very cheap to maintain and reliable. Basically a small 650. Slow. 65MPG~
  • The 400S runs newer technology which may introduce secondary issues unless added protection is added to the radiators and magnesium engine covers. Stonking engine gives same power as 650 but less torque. 70MPG~

Sounds like a DRZ400S is the one for me. Are there any major differences in the model years to look out for?

Cheers everyone for all the help.
Jon.

Avoid the 2000 DR-Z 'S' - the front forks are weak.

The S model has:

• softer cams
  • different carb
  • quieter exhaust
  • different final drive gearing
  • indicators
  • mirrors
  • horn
  • cooling fan
  • pillion footpegs
  • pillion seat strap
  • toolkit-come-sandwich bag on rear fender
  • decent headlight
  • decent speedo/computer
  • metal fuel tank
  • rear sub-frame for fender/numberplate
  • Trailwings

This is a DR-Z 400 S:

2465_DR-Z400S20blue.jpg

This is a DR-Z 400 E (now no longer available new):

2465_DR-Z400E20yellow.jpg

Greg

DO NOT BUY A PRE 52 MODEL

They come with crap weedy suspension. 52 models came with the brilliant E suspension which is Showa top-end stuff (as good as KTM).

Greg beat me to it. I believe the E model is still being sold but they switched the carb to the Mukuni 'S' model for emission regulations.

If you go for the E you'll get more power (quite a lot), wont be able to run it on low octane gas and will get 45MPG (ish)

That looks perfect, if the timing was better I'd probably have had that off of you. Flying to the states tomorrow morning though and don't have time to make it all the up to Chester and back tonight. Damn. I know it's unlikley but if you've still got it in a little over a week, i'll come up and see it.

Back
Top Bottom