The sheer beauty of Macs....

I'm on Vista now and it works fine :nenau

(although I only ever use it to go on this site :eek:)

Mine does a cracking chess. Beyond that I really can't help you, as it's been too many years since I was 15.

thanks mister
cant wait to grow up and realise its only a fecking computer

:thumb2

Have you tried the latest releases? They've taken big strides with the last two. I did 'gutsy gibbon' the other day, worked 'out of the box' - network, wireless, mouse, graphix card, the lot, and that's on my ancient (5 years old) IBM laptop. You even get a software installer so no need for terminal and fancy desktop effects that mac fanboys would love :)

Still in geek terittory a bit but they are getting there.

i'm on GG too, and you're right, it's marvellous to use what is available via the GUI installers etc.

but why oh, why can't they understand people have more than 3 buttons on a mouse FFS!
gotta do the Terminal thing to sort it out, but i can't even get Terminal to fetch the fecking config file!

sudo gedit/etc/X11/xorg.conf my fecking arse :spitfire

Congratulation Sir - you have crossed the great divide and will never journey back. That's a great machine.

The only criticism I have of the G5 over the G4 is that the sound isn't as great as with the little Hardon Karma speakers - it's worth getting the remote player via your Airport to squirt your toonz through your hi-fi.:thumb2
Thanks for the tip - I was thinking of getting the Harman Kardon soundsticks II - I'll see what the standard sound really is like and go from there.:thumb

Just upgraded me RAM. I timed it - took under 90 secs. Undo 4 captive screws, lift off panel, press in chip, screw panel back up. Done.

Did same on PC once. Casings apart, farting about with dodgy connectors in tiny spaces, loads of casing nuts and bolts - nause.

OK you red-rimmed glasses wearing tree hugger, a challenge if you're up for it.......

I think I can close down my PC from where I am now, open it, remove a ram chip, re-boot, post here, close down again and re-inseert my ram chip before coming back to post I've finished faster than you can with your trendy clone machine.

(all nuts bolts and screws must be put back properly)

It's not a PC/MAC thing, it's design.....your MAC is more complicated than my PC to get into- because I know my PC's and buy accordingly.....whereas a MAC owner gets no choice in what they get :)

I grant you that there are a lot of poorly designed PC cases, but you at least have the choice of what you get and you can build a PC from scratch without fuss ;)

Thanks for the tip - I was thinking of getting the Harman Kardon soundsticks II - I'll see what the standard sound really is like and go from there.:thumb

Dunno what they sound like, but the wee round ones I have are absolutley amazing - when you first hear them you keep looking for the real speakers - I'm sure the IIs will be as good or better.:thumb

It's not a PC/MAC thing, it's design.....your MAC is more complicated than my PC to get into

Have you seen a G4? Turn it upside down on your lap, 4 captive screws, the whole base comes off and that's it. How can it be any simpler?

Oh - and my glasses aren't hair coloured - they are azure.

there's no screws to get into my PC.

or get the drives out.

as i've said before - XP latest version is almost perfect

it never crashes, i can even run MAC OSX on it ( interface ) - makes me think i've got a cheap mac.

but if i need to mess around under the hood - i still can : )

as for ubuntu ? it'll be good when it works properly and is finished properly :mmmm
its a joke at the moment though

Anyone see the Gadget show last night? Nokia N95 v's Apple iphone. Those that didn't - N95 comprehensively mullered the iphone in everything except how fashion victims responded to the looks and interface. Unbelievably in this techno day & age the Apple only has a measly 2.0Mp camera (2.0! FFS! :eek: ) and no video capability.
Result IMHO, Smart people who actually want to use their phone (mini PC) will get the N95, fashion victims who just want to be seen with it will by the iphone. Oh dear! :D

.....stay on XP until Vista is as solid and utterly reliable as it should be.

And XP is both those things!?
There was a vicious rumour that XP only came out because NT was too stable;)

J

Anyone see the Gadget show last night? Nokia N95 v's Apple iphone. Those that didn't - N95 comprehensively mullered the iphone in everything except how fashion victims responded to the looks and interface. Unbelievably in this techno day & age the Apple only has a measly 2.0Mp camera (2.0! FFS! :eek: ) and no video capability.
Result IMHO, Smart people who actually want to use their phone (mini PC) will get the N95, fashion victims who just want to be seen with it will by the iphone. Oh dear! :D

Which has exactly what to do with Macs?

And Fwiw you can get a perfectly decent picture out of 2MPS:nenau

OK you red-rimmed glasses wearing tree hugger, a challenge if you're up for it.......

I think I can close down my PC from where I am now, open it, remove a ram chip, re-boot, post here, close down again and re-inseert my ram chip before coming back to post I've finished faster than you can with your trendy clone machine.

(all nuts bolts and screws must be put back properly)

It's not a PC/MAC thing, it's design.....your MAC is more complicated than my PC to get into- because I know my PC's and buy accordingly.....whereas a MAC owner gets no choice in what they get :)

I grant you that there are a lot of poorly designed PC cases, but you at least have the choice of what you get and you can build a PC from scratch without fuss ;)

In time honoured debating fashion, I propose a counter motion:

'MAC's are over priced, under performing PC's dressed up as fashion accessories to complement SMEG fridge freezers'

perhaps this should be moved to the 'virtual pub', but I guess here, there might be a sensible debate.

(sticking a bit of RAM in should indeed only take a few mins! and I bet you can't build a MAC from scratch in a few hours!)

ps - I have both a MAC's and a couple of PC's and use them for the jobs in hand

And XP is both those things!?
There was a vicious rumour that XP only came out because NT was too stable;)

J

If it's set up properly, yes.

Given that Windows runs on a total mish mash of hardware and has to cope with an infinitely large combination of dodgy software and non-standard add ons, it does bloody well.

Macs are just so limited :nenau

Which has exactly what to do with Macs?

And Fwiw you can get a perfectly decent picture out of 2MPS:nenau
They couldn't get a decent pic with the 2.0Mp camera let alone video with the Apple phone thing under real world test conditions. Don't get sweaty :D It was just a comment in reference to the PC v's MAC debate. Personally I wouldn't touch anything sold by Apple ever ever ever on principle :thumb2

I bet you can't build a MAC from scratch in a few hours!)

But why would you want to, unless you enjoy messing about with pooters? Macs come out the box, plug in, work perfectly, and do everything that about 99% of normal people want. In a nice logical sensible compact and tidy way that suggests intelligent design, rather than an effort to spawn a massive necessary support indrustry?

They couldn't get a decent pic with the 2.0Mp camera let alone video with the Apple phone thing under real world test conditions. Don't get sweaty :D It was just a comment in reference to the PC v's MAC debate. Personally I wouldn't touch anything sold by Apple ever ever ever on principle :thumb2

I'm not "sweaty" - I saw the prog and agree. I wouldn't buy a iPhone either, but what does that proved ref. computers? Are you saying it's some manifestation of imcompetence or summat?

By the by, I have a little dig camera with less MP than that and it takes perfectly good pics, as does my Nokia phone in reasonable conditions - point being no of MPs isn't the be all and end all.

Ahh well, there you are - Macs get brought by people who make a reasoned decision. Why not, out of interest?

Back
Top Bottom