Check before buying BMW version of Zumo

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
Garmin has issued several new versions of firmware for the Zumo 550 and the latest version on the web site (which has major enhancements in usability and bug fixes) is v3.30. As you would expect from the numbering system, v3.00 was a major release with many important enhancements. However... the BMW-badged version of the Zumo is unable to make use of this firmware and is stuck in the dark ages with v2.10.

AS FAR AS I AM AWARE, NONE OF THE FEATURES LISTED BELOW ARE AVAILABLE WITH THE BMW VERSION

Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:
Correct display of diamonds that could occur in some translations in the route planner menu.
Correct issue that could cause vehicle to move sideways on the map.
Correct issue where Restore Defaults did not permanently save the Default Voice language.

Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:
Corrected error in address searches for some cities using City Navigator Europe v9 maps
Corrected error that caused changes to be lost when editing the active route
Properly maintain point name when selecting route point and review on map and zoom
Corrected autozoom for off road navigation
Find user waypoints and custom POIs when diacritic values are present in names or search text
Corrected error in position propagation when entering a tunnel
Improved MPC map support
Decrease Proximity alert tone volume when connected to a Bluetooth helmet/headset
Re-enable Browse button in MP3 player when insert card
Corrected shutdown when select Extras from the phone or route planner menu if no extras are loaded
Corrected shutdown when searching for cities near another city
Corrected shutdown if active route recalculates while displaying user data pages
Corrected shutdown when selecting Auto as the service provider in FM traffic setup
Corrected rare shutdown when find traffic events along route

Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.50:
Correct issue with mount detection logic when power is briefly interrupted.
Correct issue where SiRF chip cannot lock on after firmware update.
Correct issue when selecting a GPI point from the review map for a route.
Correct shutdown when displaying some banner messages in Italian/Spanish.
Correct issue with overlapping points in tour guide feature.
Correct issue with drawing the avoidances options page.
Use Locale setting to select American/European style traffic icons.

Changes made from version 2.50 to 3.00:
Allow panning from main map.
Touching vehicle on main map displays coordinates and elevation in save dialog.
Added more fields to the trip computer including fuel gauge odometer.
Enabled compass display full time with additional data fields (e.g. altitude!).
Enhanced XM weather support which is available from XM button on the main menu.
Enhanced traffic incident reporting.
Added support for SDHC cards and increased MP3 playlist limit to 1000 songs.
Added Audible books support.
Added option to limit BT headset audio to phone only.
Added option to display track log on map.
Added track log archive function.

Modified import /share pictures to work directly from jpeg viewer without the checklist.
Added support for the modified drawing styles present in certain specialty maps.
Display unpaved roads differently than alleys, expanded zoom level where favorites are displayed.
Disables auto-zoom operation when off-road.
Added ability to treat certain route vias as shaping points which will not be flagged or announced. Qualified shaping points are Intersections and points on roads which are not addresses, such as I-35N or HwyA. Requires routes to be created with MapSource 6.12.1 or using the zumo route planner.
Enhanced off-route recalculation for mixed on/off road routes and routes with shaping points.
Added support for new Pre-Recorded voices for Brazil, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Romania, Serbia.
Updated US/Canada Daylight Saving time support.
Correct shutdown when enter more than 4 vias.
Correct issue preventing conversion of tracks to routes in southern hemisphere.
Correct issue which prevented writing recent tracks to the GPX file.
Correct issue which prevented finding points of interest after search where city was spelled.
Correct issue which prevented finding some addresses with overlapping maps.
Correct issue where a truncated route could contain an erroneous point.
Correct issue where a truncated route could be stopped incorrectly.
Correct behavior when two Cyclops safety cameras are in range.
Correct handling of track to route conversions that are completely off road.
Correct issues with simulator going off route.

Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:
Corrected unit shutdown related to map drawing.
Corrected position of the traffic alert button on main map.
Pause trip computer time update in charge mode (automotive mount).

Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:
Add support for coordinate entry in alternative grid formats
Maintain zoom level when panning from main map
Correct Extended Postal Code searching error in the UK
Correct shutdown when import waypoint with unsupported symbol
Correct import of certain route points with MapSource 6.12.2
Correct issue that prevented trip log archive function from activating

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:
Added a user selectable Off Route Recalculation Mode
Updated Compass and Trip Computer displays to remember their last page mode
Enabled Bluetooth troubleshooting whenever a phone is paired
Allow volume adjustment when using a Bluetooth headset with audio option set to phone only
Added Lithuanian text language support
Corrected issues in Trip log archive support that resulted in 0 length files and false reporting of full logs
Corrected issue on Compass page that prevented it from displaying the heading
Corrected flashing on the Enter Coordinates page
Corrected issue that allowed the page key to escape from the pin entry for Garmin Lock
Corrected rare issue that could prevent proper startup when custom POI files contain a large number of bitmaps
Corrected problem ejecting on Mac computers

Tim

IMHO, if you can't run v3.00 or greater of the Zumo firmware there's no point in having a Zumo.

The 3.00 release made it worthwhile spending all those beer tokens - I was dissapointed to say the least with the supplied functionality. Then Garmin seemed to listen to the users and quite quickly added in sensible functionality that made it the 'premium' sat nav it was supposed to be.

The confirmation has to come from someone who actualy owns a BMW Zumo.

Rumor has it too that the BMW version 2.20 IS in fact the normal version 3.30 ....

Hmmm I plan a trip to my dealer now. Might as well have a look at it (if they have one)

(sorry for the monologe)

@ Tim :

You may have read it on the Zumo forum, but the confirmation finaly hit the streets:

The BMW Zumo can NOT shut off recalculation, so it is in fact the old firmware. No talk of updates to make it so at this time..........

This thing sucks.....

Thanks for the confirmation, Ton.

Actually it saddens me, I would much rather be penning an apology for daring to challenge BMW and being proved wrong. The BMW OEM unit looks cool in black and paying £300 over the top for some bling is one thing, but then having what I consider an unusable unit is sheer crazy.

Let's hope the word gets out on other forums and BMW are forced to do the decent thing.

Tim

Thanks Ton

I didn't realise the BMW branded version of the Zumo 550 didn't come with a car mount or the combined car power lead/speakers. :(

One of the great things about the Zumo 550 is that I can use it in the car as well as on the bike. :thumb2

Tim

Can you use the bmw zumo in the car,

looks like i will be getting one fitted to the new bike.

I hope my unit comes with some updates,

Its coming striaght from bmw parts, should be fitted to the bike for tuesday delivery,

at present i have a 2610, is the set up just like that, are they a nt version, so you can do full post code searches,

anything else i should know.

thanks

The short of it all should read... IF you are about to buy BMW Zumo over the normal Garmin....have your head read and give the money to charity!

Why would you bother?????

\it was being fitted as part of the deal , should i insist on a zumo 550 instead, anyone have an idea of the price difference between the twol.

(sorry for the monologe)

@ Tim :

You may have read it on the Zumo forum, but the confirmation finaly hit the streets:

The BMW Zumo can NOT shut off recalculation, so it is in fact the old firmware. No talk of updates to make it so at this time..........

This thing sucks.....

So are you saying that even though the recalculation mode is showing off it is still active?:nenau

just upgraded the software version to 4.6, audio version is 1.5 gps sw version 3.00, bluetooth sw version 3.10

it has the 2008 nt maps loaded up,

how up to date is the 2009 maps.

At this point, with all the updates, what exactly are the differences (other than the auto mount and possible price) between the Zumo 550 and the BMW Zumo?

i have no idea,

got to say very pleased with the unit, it has all the bmw locations already set into the unit

other than that, i have not a scooby regarding other differences

I think that is it. On the plus side it looks cool, has a BMW badge and all the BMW locations, on the negative side it is (far) more expensive and doesn't include the car mount. Firmware is now the same.

Tim

as said, bought the car mount via the web, was also pleased i did not have to link up the external aerial, as it works fine without it through the windscreen of the car, unlike the 2610,

i think the phone connection is great via bluetooth, so much better than having to get the phone out to make calls.

Thanks Tim. Now to fully understand the differences between the 550 and 660.

Back
Top Bottom