Have I dropped a Clanger with this oil?

Les Wassall

HiD50.com leading light in HiD
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just bought some engine oil for the 1200 as I dropped the sump on Saturday and as I need the bike tomorrow thought it best to put some in, just my luck but the only shop's in town did not have any 20/50 so went the Shell garage and they had stock it is Shell X100 Super 20w/50 Multigrade Motor Oil, so the question is, it surpasses API SG/CD but I thought SG was obsolete and it does not state any ware that it is Mineral Oil, is it ok to use?
Want to get of 10w/40 so the engine is a little less rattle and all the shops are shut now :blast

Depend how many miles you have done Les. Think bmw don't recommend semi or full synth till about 10,000 miles
SG is technically obsolete but wet clutch motorcycles require none slip additives, but the GS having a dry clutch can take anything

Thanks for the link Dean, it says on the label Diesel and Gasoline, also the blurb next to the picture says,

is ideal for gasoline engines, which are under long service;
features CPP (Clean Performance Protection) formula to keep the engine clean;
is cost-effective for engine maintenance;
protects engines and extends their lives; and gives peace of mind while driving;
Exceeds: API SH/CD

Also the exceeds is Sh on the site and SG on the can :confused:

The 1200 runs 10/40 semi sinth as standard. As I do quite high round town milage NOG told me to change to 20/50.

I actuly put in 20/50 mineral in an effort to reduce the rate of oil use. After 10000 mls of this I have put in 20/50 fully sinthetic car oil.

:eek: you might think. But the common motorcycle engine uses it's oil to feed the crank and gear box as well as having a wet clutch. Having so much to deal with the oil needs to be a bit different from a normal car oil.

The BW engine however only has the crank and valves etc, the same as a car 'would you not agree'. So therefore needs not the extras included in a standard M/C oil, and will therefore run very nicely on a good quality motor oil of the viscosity that you desire.

Much easier to find the right oil for your bike, with the full spectrum of choice of type, viscosity and price range.

I'm sold, no more paying the extra for those important addetives I don't need.:D

Err except diesel oil that is. :-((

Les, 'Long service' would equate to; engines with very high milage. A 1200 gs with 50+ thousand miles on it would IMHO still not fit in to this catagory.

Val.

Last edited:
i run all my bikes on car oil, first bike i used car oil was a diversion 600, its still going strong with 68,000 miles on it, i have also used it in two diversion 900's and a Fazer 1000 and my current 600 Fazer, mostly it was halfrauds semi synthetic car oil, i must have done upwards of 150,000 miles on car oil on bikes with a wet clutch and i've never had a problem with slipping clutches, i'me now running car oil in my Gs1150 and Rt1100, I know this does'nt answer your question as your bike is probably still in warranty, I just find this bike oil/car oil a bit of a scam :rob

Bike is just out of warranty, and I usually like to do my own oil change just left it a bit late to get some this time so very limited choice, but after reading the link of Dean :thumb2 think it will be OK so will pop it in in the morning.
thanks for the replies :thumb2

Bike is just out of warranty, and I usually like to do my own oil change just left it a bit late to get some this time so very limited choice, but after reading the link of Dean :thumb2 think it will be OK so will pop it in in the morning.
thanks for the replies :thumb2

Oil will be OK - in fact, the additives in diesel engine oils are good for the valves due to anti-wear properties....in the US, people use Shell Rotella (can't get it over here) for this very reason...oh, and it's cheap...:thumb

i run all my bikes on car oil, first bike i used car oil was a diversion 600, its still going strong with 68,000 miles on it, i have also used it in two diversion 900's and a Fazer 1000 and my current 600 Fazer, mostly it was halfrauds semi synthetic car oil, i must have done upwards of 150,000 miles on car oil on bikes with a wet clutch and i've never had a problem with slipping clutches, i'me now running car oil in my Gs1150 and Rt1100, I know this does'nt answer your question as your bike is probably still in warranty, I just find this bike oil/car oil a bit of a scam :rob

Castrol Magnatec and VS1400 Intruders don't mix, as a mate of mine found out the hard way. 2 sets of clutch plates later, the bike shop said "So, what oil are you using?" :blast

However, if the machine hasn't got a wet clutch or doesn't rev much higher than cars, you're probably safe with car oil. Even with the GS, lower viscosity synthetic oils will probably just result in more oil burning off, so shouldn't be a problem if you keep an eye on the oil level.

i thought magnatec was a fully synthetic oil,as i said, i used semi synthetic and never had a problem, we used to have a diesel van a ldv pilot, that in 60,000 miles we never changed the oil, was still running perfectly when sold, we wanted it to go bang, just so we could get rid of it :D

i thought magnatec was a fully synthetic oil,as i said, i used semi synthetic and never had a problem, we used to have a diesel van a ldv pilot, that in 60,000 miles we never changed the oil, was still running perfectly when sold, we wanted it to go bang, just so we could get rid of it :D

Magnatec is a semi-synth.

"Ere, have some of this off the Shell website.....

"Can heavy-duty diesel oil be used in motorcycles?

Motorcycle gasoline engines may not seem in the same league as the big displacement diesel engine under your hood, but they share some of the same lubrication requirements. So yes, in many cases, a premium heavy-duty universal oil capable of serving both diesel and gasoline engines is the best choice for your bike.

The high power-to-displacement ratio of a motorcycle engine means rod and main bearings are subjected to loads that are not normally found in passenger car engines. The valve train is also highly loaded, and requires extreme pressure boundary lubrication. The same can be said about gears in the transmission, which are normally lubricated by engine oil. Oil additives containing phosphorus protect these highly loaded extreme pressure areas (in both gasoline and diesel engines). Because diesel engines have higher loading of components, more of the phosphorus-containing additive is present than in typical passenger car oils. And with advanced catalyst systems for gasoline engines, the phosphorus content has been declining in passenger car oils.

Since many bike engines are air-cooled, and tend to be operated at high power outputs and speeds, their lubricating oil needs to be more resistant to high temperature oxidation. That?s another advantage of a premium universal oil. Another thing you want in your motorcycle is oil that has excellent viscosity control, so that with use it retains high temperature viscosity. Some multiviscosity grade passenger car oils, subjected to extreme loads, can quickly thin out. Their viscosity can drop to the next lower grade.

One last thing to consider is whether oil contains friction modifier additives. For improved fuel economy, most passenger car oils have such an additive. But the wet clutch in your bike doesn?t perform right with friction modifiers. Universal engine oils don?t have friction modifiers.

Be careful choosing diesel oils. Not all of them are universal. In addition to the API Service Category CI-4 PLUS for diesels, look for API Service Category SL.

Premium universal oils like Shell ROTELLA? T Multigrade are formulated for heavy-duty performance, and your bike engine has some heavy-duty challenges for oil. For optimum performance, be sure your oil is up to the challenge."

It doesn't really matter whether it was synth, semi or purest huile de T-Rex - the friction modifiers meant that the clutch slipped under full throttle. All I'm trying to say is that there are valid reasons to not use car oil in a bike, but they're probably not relevant to GSs :beerjug:.

"Ere, have some of this off the Shell website.....

"Can heavy-duty diesel oil be used in motorcycles?

Motorcycle gasoline engines may not seem in the same league as the big displacement diesel engine under your hood, but they share some of the same lubrication requirements. So yes, in many cases, a premium heavy-duty universal oil capable of serving both diesel and gasoline engines is the best choice for your bike.

The high power-to-displacement ratio of a motorcycle engine means rod and main bearings are subjected to loads that are not normally found in passenger car engines. The valve train is also highly loaded, and requires extreme pressure boundary lubrication. The same can be said about gears in the transmission, which are normally lubricated by engine oil. Oil additives containing phosphorus protect these highly loaded extreme pressure areas (in both gasoline and diesel engines). Because diesel engines have higher loading of components, more of the phosphorus-containing additive is present than in typical passenger car oils. And with advanced catalyst systems for gasoline engines, the phosphorus content has been declining in passenger car oils.

Since many bike engines are air-cooled, and tend to be operated at high power outputs and speeds, their lubricating oil needs to be more resistant to high temperature oxidation. That?s another advantage of a premium universal oil. Another thing you want in your motorcycle is oil that has excellent viscosity control, so that with use it retains high temperature viscosity. Some multiviscosity grade passenger car oils, subjected to extreme loads, can quickly thin out. Their viscosity can drop to the next lower grade.

One last thing to consider is whether oil contains friction modifier additives. For improved fuel economy, most passenger car oils have such an additive. But the wet clutch in your bike doesn?t perform right with friction modifiers. Universal engine oils don?t have friction modifiers.

Be careful choosing diesel oils. Not all of them are universal. In addition to the API Service Category CI-4 PLUS for diesels, look for API Service Category SL.

Premium universal oils like Shell ROTELLA? T Multigrade are formulated for heavy-duty performance, and your bike engine has some heavy-duty challenges for oil. For optimum performance, be sure your oil is up to the challenge."

What he SEZ :thumb
it will be fine in your 1200, nearly as good as Castrol or Silkolene 20/50w
and far better than 10/40 or any semi synth cr@p
I know my oils :rob

It doesn't really matter whether it was synth, semi or purest huile de T-Rex - the friction modifiers meant that the clutch slipped under full throttle. All I'm trying to say is that there are valid reasons to not use car oil in a bike, but they're probably not relevant to GSs :beerjug:.

agreed, but synthetic and semi synthetic have different amounts, otherwise there would be no reason to buy synthetic, or to use non fully synthetic to bed the bike in and as there are different versions of magnatec including semi synthetic and fully synthetic, then it could have made a difference, wont matter in a gs though :nenau

What he SEZ :thumb
it will be fine in your 1200, nearly as good as Castrol or Silkolene 20/50w
and far better than 10/40 or any semi synth cr@p
I know my oils :rob

What's wrong with 10/40 then, mate? Or semi-synth? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom