Level 1 course for B-Day/Xmas!

johnnystorm

Reaction score
I've just found out I'm off to Wales to muddy up one of BMW's bikes as a combo Birthday/Christmas pressie.:D

Had to choose from the 650Xcountry, 650XChallenge and the new F800GS. Clare chose the new one for me as it's closest to my 1200 I guess. Part of me fancied the new one for that reason but the Challenge as it's going to be easier to pick up (I'm realistic about my abilities!).

I've had a quick search through the archives and a few broken bones have cropped up but I'm not unduly perturbed.....:augie

As an absolute beginner would you opt for the 800 or one of the 650s? The challenge does look more like a Cross country whippet...I guess there will be a chance to try the others anyway?

I've just found out I'm off to Wales to muddy up one of BMW's bikes as a combo Birthday/Christmas pressie.:D

Had to choose from the 650Xcountry, 650XChallenge and the new F800GS. Clare chose the new one for me as it's closest to my 1200 I guess. Part of me fancied the new one for that reason but the Challenge as it's going to be easier to pick up (I'm realistic about my abilities!).

I've had a quick search through the archives and a few broken bones have cropped up but I'm not unduly perturbed.....:augie

As an absolute beginner would you opt for the 800 or one of the 650s? The challenge does look more like a Cross country whippet...I guess there will be a chance to try the others anyway?

I reckon Clare made the right choice, I did it on the 1200 a couple of years ago and found it ok, only the girls were on 650's! You'll enjoy it, and the bigger bike doesnt seem to matter when you're riding, only when you're pushing it around and lifting it after a fall.

There have been a few broken bones, mostly ankles I think getting caught on rocks sticking out of the sides of the tracks - wear decent off-road boots.

I'm a bit jealous, must do it again someday.

NigelL

You lucky man! I'm dead envious . . . but you'll LOVE it!!

I'd love to try the 650X Country & The 800GS. I did level one in August on the 650GS, which was a good starting point . . . I might be a bit more adventurous next time and maybe try the 800GS!!

Have a fab time :D You're going to be so knackered at the end of it, but it's well worth it :thumb2

Shirley

I did it about a month ago on the 650GS, that was all they had left when I booked.

To be honest you're learning skills, therefore, the type of bike doesn't matter that much IMO. I had a go on the 1200GS too and it's bloody heavy to pick up when it's in a deep muddy rutted area of ground, especially when you are knackered. Saying that, the 1200 is great fun and it's a brilliant feeling getting both wheels off the ground on the dirt ramps:D

The 800 is a good choice I reckon, the 650 will be the 800 derivative anyway so not worth bothering with IMO.

I broke two ribs but still enjoyed myself immensely. I would advise you to get fit, if you are not already, as you will be knackered. You can hire the kit there, I had my own but their stuff looked decent. I stopped at the Abercrave Inn and stayed for 3 nights, glad I did too:thumb

Enjoy.

Ive done it twice now and both on a 1200, if thats what you own then i would recommend getting on a 1200 for the course. imo

Ive done it twice now and both on a 1200, if thats what you own then i would recommend getting on a 1200 for the course. imo

Clare decided for me but asked me to call back and choose what I wanted. The 1200s were all booked so it was the 800 as it was the next biggest and the "new" bike.

Back
Top Bottom