Bike Work Table

I reckon the best way would be with a scissor table, powered by compressed air, or a remote hydraulic pump. Not sure that the foot levers could easily be used if recessed.
It could be done with a non-scissor table but it will be a great deal easier with a scissor lift.
I've not figured out how the usual type of locking pin/bar could work, if it's within a floor recess.
I reckon that a standard manual operation will do.

Scissor-lift benches don't seem to use a lock-bar, they have a ratchet type lock but that said, the bar on my Sealey doesn't have to be horizontal when it's inserted through the first side. Alternatively, cut the lock-bar into two separate, short, lengths, it will still do the job.

When it comes to the foot-pump levers, I've always removed the ones on my lift when not actually raising or lowering the table and it would be simple to include a recess to one side, in which the levers operate, then use checkerplate or similar to make a cover.

I'm planning on lining the pit for the table with blocks so making a small recess on one side shouldn't be too difficult.

Bike lift

Check out ebay for a set of plans they cost £10.00 and look handy to make Im waiting for a set to arrive :rob

Been thinking about buying a table lift for a while but those ProBike lifts are seriously expensive.

Think I'll be thinking a lot longer before I buy at those prices.:eek:

I would be interested in a multiple purchase at a discount if anybodies interested.

Been thinking about buying a table lift for a while but those ProBike lifts are seriously expensive.

I'll let you know if the quality matches the price (mine arrives Tuesday).

Machine Mart

Bought my lift last week from Machine Mart may not be to the pro bike standard but for an amateur garage its well adequate. GSA and Harley fit on it with ease goes up and down smoothly and with no effort using the foot pedal. Safty bar is by way of a long pin which goes through the front arms it is a cantilever and as already stated the bike/table moves a small distance backwards as it rises not a problem in my garage but could be in others. Front wheel stop and clamp seem better than some of the more cheaper version I looked at.

I got mine on a vat free day so 15% off and as they were not in stock (loads sold so can't be all bad) and they let me down on the first delivery date I got a further £30 off. So overall it cost me £269 which I thinks a bargin.

Currently have my lads ZXR400 on it front wheel in clamp and rear on paddock stand solid on the table.

The Harley does'nt have a centre stand so will also be buying a table scissor jack for that in the near future......well happy :thumb2 with my purchase for the use it will be put to. I'm sure you can get a more professional table at around four to five times the cost.

The ProBike lift table arrived first thing this morning, pretty good as I only ordered it Friday morning (they told me it would be Tuesday). :thumb2

Just taking a break from unpacking it for a coffee, I'll post photos later.

It seems a serious quality bit of kit.

Right, never done a write-up on a bike-lift before but here goes.

As said, up to now I've been using a Sealey, the biggest one they do. There is no comparison between ProBike and Sealey.

Don't get me wrong, the model I've bought isn't perfect but the design, construction and operation are streets ahead.

462192267_iNvpK-M.jpg

The ramp section can be removed but unlike the Sealey that's just hung on two lugs, this one has a full width hinge pin.

462191439_SRr4o-M.jpg

Additionally, the ramp can be left attached, locked in a horizontal position by a simple swing-out prop for either bigger bikes or as additional work surface.

462191571_2C85b-M.jpg

To remove the wheel plate there's a simple lock.....

462192729_dHP8Z-M.jpg

The plate itself is much better than the Sealey one. It's more substantial and slides into place as opposed to having to be lifted clear.

462192890_ZGsH7-M.jpg

The wheel clamp is the screw type. It's solid and comes with a safety chain that goes over the wheel rim.

462190620_mZs3m-M.jpg

The chain is bare so I put some heat-shrink on it to protect the rim.

462190766_UwU76-M.jpg

The safety pin has three, not two positions.

462191863_fXDw2-M.jpg

When not in use it sits in its own slot.

462191727_STeQM-M.jpg

The foot pump clouts one of the side lash-down bars. Not very well thought out but a bit of rubber foam and a couple of cable-ties protects the two parts.

462192161_ZT3Nn-M.jpg

ProBike offered me a discount. I paid £549 (before VAT) and £73 delivery (it weighs in at a quarter of a tonne. The pallet took me ages to dismember but I have some decent 4x4's to use for my work-bench frame :thumb2).

Sealey want £735 (incl VAT) for a 400kg lift.

Okay it's a fair chunk of money but it's less than a set of new TT panniers and less than half the cost of Metal Mules. Given the amount of use my Sealey lift table has had over the last four years, I can justify the outlay. The difference is that this lift should out-last me.

Instead of recessing it into the floor, what about putting some duckboards around it to make it level? :nenau

Nice report BTW Mike. :thumb2

Mine arrived today MikeP :D had it delivered to Pats lads garage to keep in store until i have made the frame to go over the pit. Mucho Pics will follow:D
I intend to fit it ( on a frame ) in the top of the pit, about 1 inch below the floor level, then i can pop a sheet of Ply over it and carry on as normal when not in use..

Mini Jack for table use....

The best price I could find for a table Mini Jack was £42.51 + Vat.

This is from Sound Distribution, sales@sounddistribution.co.uk

Motrax is the make, good quality screw jack for under the sump etc

Anyone got experience of the Sealey MC365 lift.

I asked the same question PM of Bmmike08 on the site, in response to some pic's he posted up in a thread Here.

Here is a copy of his PM reply:

I am pleased with it. I use it for the R1200RT and R1200GS - the size up may be easier as this one is on the limits but works fine. I reversed the front well stop plate so as to increase the position the GS rests on the lift - it moves the bike 2" forward which helps it balance better.

The rear wheel is overhanging but the centre stand is well on the lift and the weight of the bike is well forward of the back end of the lift. It certainly makes cleaning much easier.

The scissor system lifts the bike vertically.

I think I'll be getting one and / or having a look at the Machine Mart version.

I would like one like Mike P's but I do not have the room in my garage.

Beware having lifts flush with the floor. One day you WILL chop your toes off.

I would like one like Mike P's but I do not have the room in my garage.

Richard,

It doesn't take up much more room than the 500kg Sealey I left with my mate.

47346402_NzkAo-M.jpg

Compared to:

486580627_BqmsZ-M.jpg

If you don't attach the three side bars each side, it would be about the same width as the Sealey.

The ramp is longer and heavier. As it's attached by the long hinge pin as opposed to the Sealey which was just two pegs, it does make the whole table longer.

I wanted the scissor-version but they were not available, no known date for re-supply and the bloke at ProBike said that this one doesn't actually move backwards much in operation.

It doesn't. At least not compared to the Sealey (which is made by Yankee BTW).

In operation, it takes-up less room than the Sealey/Yankee 500kg lift.

The real difference is in the weight of the two because the ProBike lift is so much more substantial.

Back
Top Bottom