Bike Work Table

I have just bought a Sealey 365 from the same company as eliminator. TNT tried to deliver it today but I was at work and my wife was out. She phoned them when she returned home and the driver returned specially.
He unloaded it himself just using the taillift on the lorry - I am surprised given the weight of the item (but he did manage to reverse his vehicle very close to our garage).
So my experience of TNT was very good.

Other than unpacking, assembling and testing, I have not had the opportunity to use the lift yet though.

Thanks Stroller, their on e-bay at 240 quid at the mo and the seller said they come direct from Sealey so it would probably be TNT.

4th visit! Tail lift and trolley jack, driver did it all himself. Childlike delight in pumping the bike up and down:D

MC 365 ordered tonight, lets see when it turns up.

£238.95 in total so it'll probably come by snail mail.

GS now sitting on bike lift.

Think I'll have to make a modification to it. Seems that the GS rolls backwards a lot when lifted onto mainstand, so I'll either have to drill more holes so that I can move the wheel clamp back. Or get another front wheel stop made for the ramp, so that the bike goes on further, then when lifted onto mainstand, it will line up with wheel clamp. This is all based on me assuming that ideally the wheel clamp should sit directly under the front wheel spindle?

Unless of course, I didn't hit the bump stop in the first place?

It's going to be a shit to lift the Yamaha Divvy onto the mainstand, as it's a poor design, and bad enough when on the drive, let alone 8 inches off the ground on the lift!

i never use a stand unless the wheels are coming off.
i prefer using the straps :thumb
get it on ramp hook one strap over foot rest tighten up allowing bike to lean a tad away from strapped side.[in gear]
then i lock the front down, then apply the over strap. easy
and don't i have k'nackard arms and hands :thumb
as per-
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=180504

MC 365 ordered tonight, lets see when it turns up.

£238.95 in total so it'll probably come by snail mail.

Turned up within 48 hrs and TNT loaded it into the garage. Unpacked it last night and plonked the RS on it this morning. For the money I think its a good piece of kit and saves crawling around in the dust.

Attachments

• Picture 035 resize.jpg
    Picture 035 resize.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 579
Tried loading my 1200 GSA onto the Sealey 365 for the first time today, and it did not go smoothly!
First, when I tried using the bike's centre stand, the centre stand was not on the main bike table, but was on the ramp, which I thought was a bit dodgy.
I next tried just strapping the bike onto the table as has been suggested here, but the rear wheel was obviously on the ramp, and when I started raising the table, the ramp deflected downwards under the weight of the bike, which again seemed less than satisfactory. Also, the staps became loose because the rear wheel was lower!
I know others have used this product successfully with the GS/GSA, so what am I doing wrong?
The only fix I can come up with is to extend the front wheel stop so that the bike is further forward on the table enabling the centre stand to be used.

Thanks for any advice.

Stroller, Don't let the bike rest on the ramp when attempting to lift the table its not designed to support any weight other than for loading.

Have you located the front wheel in the clamp assy in the most forward position, if so there's no way the centre stand should be any where near the ramp.

A photo would be helpfull.

PW, I did not take a photo unfortunately, but I had the front wheel touching the stop at the front of the table. When I lifted the bike onto the centre stand it obviously moved back from the stop a few inches and this brought the stand off the end of the table (hope that makes sense).

In one of the earlier posts, someone mentioned that he usually doesn't use the centre stand and relies on tying the bike down. I tried this, but it resulted in the rear wheel being on the ramp, which as you rightly say is not designed to carry this amount of load, so I am puzzled how this works.

PW, I did not take a photo unfortunately, but I had the front wheel touching the stop at the front of the table. When I lifted the bike onto the centre stand it obviously moved back from the stop a few inches and this brought the stand off the end of the table (hope that makes sense).

In one of the earlier posts, someone mentioned that he usually doesn't use the centre stand and relies on tying the bike down. I tried this, but it resulted in the rear wheel being on the ramp, which as you rightly say is not designed to carry this amount of load, so I am puzzled how this works.

I think Ash uses a second lift under the sumpguard to enable him to use the straps, have a look at his pics.

Sounds like the 1200 centre stand is positioned a long way back.

Yes, I looked at Ash's post again after I posted.
The 1200 stand must be further back - I think extending the front wheel stop is probably the best solution.
Thanks for your input.

DSCF1796.jpg

When the tyre hits the bump stop, the weight is over the point where the supports are welded on, when it is pulled onto the mainstand, it will sit on the lift itself.

yes, I know I should have had it painted.

DSCF1796.jpg

When the tyre hits the bump stop, the weight is over the point where the supports are welded on, when it is pulled onto the mainstand, it will sit on the lift itself.

yes, I know I should have had it painted.

I like this idea. I've been toying for a while with fitting a plate to stop the bike flying off the stand when rocked off the centre stand. Hadn't occurred to me to fit an extension. Seems so obvious now. :blast

Did you make it yourself? What thickness plate have you used. How did you bend it?

Same thickness as the original. about 3mm I think. I bent it on the brake press at work. Last bit wasn't helpful was it! The feet were welded on, you could always bolt these on.

Looking at the other guys extension, it would seem that he has bolted the original bump stop onto a flat piece of plate............ sorted!

i own clarke clm3 and find it an exelent bit of kit, and find it handles a bmw with ease. it lifts up to 450 kg however ive never bolted the front wheel clamp on as i use small ratchet straps to secure the bike.

Hman

Back
Top Bottom