Cafes, coffee stops and favourite greasy spoons in Yorkshire & Humberside

Tried the new Fish & Chip Restaurant/Takeaway in the middle of Helmsley today located next to the bookshop.

Nice food,decent portions, nicely done out and friendly staff. We had a sit down meal as we were in the car and SWMBO only does takeaway when we're in our bike gear :nenau.
Cost £10 each for Haddock and chips and it came with bread,sauce, mushies and a pot of tea. They did have an offer on for £7 for Cod and chips however.
Takeaway was around a fiver I think

Recommended :thumb2

Heres a few I enjoy and a couple I have just been introduced to.

The control tower of the Gliding club, just above the White horse, Sutton bank. Lovely breakfast £4.00 tea 50p Garmin N54 14.072 W1 12.093

The tea room at Fizor, its up a dead end road just outside Settle but the tea is plentifull and the owners friendly. Its not too big and the village is small so no large groups please. Cup of tea from a pint tea pot with top up water £1.20. Garmin N54 06.348 W2 19.418

I always enjoy a visit to Castle Bolton, the cafe is open to the public without paying an entry fee, its a bit twee and the tea is a bit fancy, but its good value. Garmin N54 19.332 W1 56.935

For a good ride across the moors to the sea side you cannot beat Sandsend for a destination. A small wooden hut on the road to Whitby serves good value snacks. Easy parking near , great view over the bay but the toilet is a walk up the road.
Garmin N54 30.039 W0 40.037

An unusual Cafe is in the Yacht club on the South gare, Middlesborough.
You drive between the sea and the steelworks (past a sign saying no motorcycles, put up to try stop kids riding on the beach) Its a very unusul are and the Cafe could put some off but I love it. Garmin N54 38.466 W1 08.362
P1010049.jpg

The graphite on the harbour wall makes me think a local has a GS1200
P1010036.jpg

Millington (or known as Millington Wood).
There's only one cafe there so you cant miss it, its on the main street just down fron the pub, right hand side. I think its called the walkers rest.
Fad home made soup in winter.
She doesn't open until 11am on Sundays though.

A small wooden beach hut with a veranda at Hunmanby gap,(Turn towards the sea up a dead end road off the A165 at Hunmanby Near Filey)) Not the best food in the world but a wonderful location overlooking the beach and rapidly retreating cliffs.

Grindleford Cafe
Station Approach,
Grindleford
Upper Padley,
Hope Valley,
Derbyshire
S32 2JA
01433 631011

How a greasy spoon should be! I started going there as a student cus it was cheap, in great countryside and ridiculously large portions! ie. A chip buttie is a slice of bread on a plate, then plate covered and piled high with chips, slice of bread on the top!
Not just a biker haunt, all sorts of outdoor adventurers keep the place busy, but being in Derbyshire it makes no difference which way you go there, the roads around are fantastic!

"Dunny's" - Otley

Dunnys cafe Otley
Bridge street Otley
There is only 1 bridge over the river in the town, find the bridge you find the cafe. This is a real old type greasy spoon. Tea 30p chipbutty £1 full breakfast less than £4
Allways a few intresting locals or bikers there to chew the fat with.

What YanYou says, plus friendly and chatty staff, and you can usually park your bike up across the road directly in front of the outside seating......................................... but their coffee is undrinkable!

All the best, Jim.

Lord Graystones cafe, just at the top of Carlton Bank near Stokesley used to be good but I have been told its been taken over by new owners who have banned motorcyclists, Any confirmation on this?

Lord Graystones cafe, just at the top of Carlton Bank near Stokesley used to be good but I have been told its been taken over by new owners who have banned motorcyclists, Any confirmation on this?

I,ve been told the same by several bikers, some who use to go regular.....:nenau

Dunnys cafe Otley
Bridge street Otley
There is only 1 bridge over the river in the town, find the bridge you find the cafe. This is a real old type greasy spoon. Tea 30p chipbutty £1 full breakfast less than £4
Allways a few intresting locals or bikers there to chew the fat with.

That will be my old man on his scooter early doors.

Cracking cafe and cracking value :thumb2

Wensleydale Cafe and Creamery Hawes

My biking brother put me onto this one two years ago, in Hawes, very nice food, friendly and a wide selection of cheeses to snaffle at home.
Vrooom

If your over in Bridlington try the Harbour view dinner, next to busy bees chippy. Biker friendly:thumb2, Good meals with a free top up coffee/tea. You can leave your helmet there while you have a walk round the harbour shops.
Run by a biker family who also have a B+B in the town.

:beerjug: Dave.

fimber cafe, is a good one its just down the hill from seaways, turn right at the roundabout and the entrance is into some woods just on your right, good little timber built cafe in a wood with picnic benches squirrels and finches,
popular biker cafe.

They said the same in Mountain Bike Rider magazine, but I keep forgetting to call in - the lure of a Brymore ice cream in the Reeth ice cream parlour is always too tempting :drool

Try it, I kept passing it but glad I stopped this time

You could incorporate Brymor proper later in the afternoon for a double treat day

For info the cafe in the car park at the north end of the Humber Bridge - Mrs B's Woodland Cafe - has now closed. Premises completely stripped out so will not be reopening anytime soon.

free

the rest and be thankful cafe
swinton road
mexbrough
pick your own brekky and as many free top ups of tea and coffee as you like:jager

The Sundial, Low Bentham (6 miles from Devils Bridge...)

A great cafe/pub/snug. Alex is a welcoming host and her cooking is simple, healthy and very tasty. Log fire, local produce, great coffee and guest beers on tap. What more could you ask? Ok, great roads.... Of which there are PLENTY in the area.

Try it, you won't be disappointed. In Low Bentham on the road to Burton.

:thumb2

A great cafe/pub/snug. Alex is a welcoming host and her cooking is simple, healthy and very tasty. Log fire, local produce, great coffee and guest beers on tap. What more could you ask? Ok, great roads.... Of which there are PLENTY in the area.

Try it, you won't be disappointed. In Low Bentham on the road to Burton.

:thumb2

Post code for satnav is LA2 7DS

sun dial

Post code for satnav is LA2 7DS

the sun dial is one of my local pubs, and yes it is quite a nice little place,
it's biggest problem is the lack of any parking.
a few hundred yards down the road is the punch bowl, tosser sized portions of home cooked food, propper chips. has a nice beer garden, and loads of parking beside the river.
fester the landlord (youll see why they call him fester) likes a bit of banter aswell.
and as you say, the area has some great riding.

Back
Top Bottom