Cafes, coffee stops and favourite greasy spoons in the East Midlands

Has anyone tried the cafe on the A17 south, it has a load of artillery guns and a tank and a warplane (jet) of some sort ouside, covered in flags and bunting... I pass it on the way to and from Sutton Bridge but not dropped in.

Cromford, before you get to the dreaded (and aweful) Matlock Bath, the old station kiosk on the A6 - great little family run cafe with home cooked food.

When I was driving lorries I popped in there once, it was disgusting in every way, as is the one opposite owned by his brother.

There is another on the left as you are travelling towards Sutton Bridge, it is before these two horrible cafes and it did get a recommendation in one of the trucking mags...That was also horrible!

Best food on the A17 is at Saracens head, Michelles snack van, good ingredients, fresh bread everyday delivered by the local baker and a choice of two butchers sausages, clean, friendly and some say expensive, I think not when you are getting quality ingredients cooked fresh in front of you...Nothing burnt, all cooked really well.

The 2 cafes opposite each other on the A17 are both well past their sell by date.

Stopped at each, just the once, that was enough.

When I was driving lorries I popped in there once, it was disgusting in every way, as is the one opposite owned by his brother.

There is another on the left as you are travelling towards Sutton Bridge, it is before these two horrible cafes and it did get a recommendation in one of the trucking mags...That was also horrible!

Best food on the A17 is at Saracens head, Michelles snack van, good ingredients, fresh bread everyday delivered by the local baker and a choice of two butchers sausages, clean, friendly and some say expensive, I think not when you are getting quality ingredients cooked fresh in front of you...Nothing burnt, all cooked really well.

Cheers Dave, that saves me a wasted stop. I might go and find your Michelle. Hopefully a bit of a 'Belle'. :D :beerjug:

This week, four of us had a really enjoyable breakfast with excellent service at would you believe Tescos at Dumfries. Even more surprising was that the coffee was good. Also the cheapest petrol we saw in the area.

Toilets were clean and fresh.

Bikes could be seen from our table, masses of parking.

Four of us left almost speechless as the whole experience was far better than expected.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the cafe on the A17 south, it has a load of artillery guns and a tank and a warplane (jet) of some sort ouside, covered in flags and bunting... I pass it on the way to and from Sutton Bridge but not dropped in.

Cromford, before you get to the dreaded (and aweful) Matlock Bath, the old station kiosk on the A6 - great little family run cafe with home cooked food.

I've used both of them and had excellent meals at each, every time.
Good value, hot and tasty food.
The menu and surroundings are a bit 1970s but so am I.
I'd happily eat there again and undoubtedly will.

Where is that ? im riding over to Sutton Bridge next week .

I've used both of them and had excellent meals at each, every time.
Good value, hot and tasty food.
The menu and surroundings are a bit 1970s but so am I.
I'd happily eat there again and undoubtedly will.
The one on the southbound carriageway appears to have closed down but the one on the opposite side of the road is still open and as good as it ever was.
I ate there about 10 days ago, steak pie, chips, veg and gravy followed by apple pie and ice cream. Yum.

A new ‘Moto Cafe’ has been opened just outside Market Rasen, Lincs.

Market Rasen, Lincolnshire LN8 3JF

‘Moto Jo’s‘ is a small cafe selling homemade cakes, sandwiches, tea and coffee.
there is also a small motorcycle shop offering servicing and second hand bike sales.

Jo has a wealth of experience in motorcycle travel including twice round South America.
it’s open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays 10.30 - 4.30
it’s a cool little place.

A new ‘Moto Cafe’ has been opened just outside Market Rasen, Lincs.

Market Rasen, Lincolnshire LN8 3JF

‘Moto Jo’s‘ is a small cafe selling homemade cakes, sandwiches, tea and coffee.
there is also a small motorcycle shop offering servicing and second hand bike sales.

Jo has a wealth of experience in motorcycle travel including twice round South America.
it’s open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays 10.30 - 4.30
it’s a cool little place.

Went there today, what a great little set up.
Here is the Sandwich I felt compelled to have, good value at £4.50 .
Jo says that she will be closing for winter from mid-October to April.
Discussed the possibility of a communal meal where she and Mum provide a couldron of hot steamy stew and homemade bread for an agreed minimum number of UKgsers.
If she knows in advance, happy to open up over winter especially for us a group.
Will post this up as under a separate heading to guage interest.

Attachments

• 53C2B42A-9AFC-4D1F-902B-596DB1666091.jpeg
    53C2B42A-9AFC-4D1F-902B-596DB1666091.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 11
There's an excellent old school greasy spoon on the A57 between Saxilby and Lincoln, next to the car place selling 2nd hand 4x4s.
Plenty of indoor and outdoor (covered) seating.
It’s called Colbourn’s cafe.
Changed hands a while back and has just won Cafe of the Year - Lincolnshire food and farms.

A631 between Market Rasen and Louth - South Elkington Post Office, 2 miles west of Louth

Serves a real bacon roll, fried in front of you not the microwave tasteless stuff you normally get. Tea and coffee in proper mugs. Large car park. Layby in front. Picnic tables in garden.

Great place to stop :thumb2
Popped in here the other day - just sandwiches and cakes but I had a very nice Victoria Sponge and coffee.

Ah yes. I thought you meant within the last few weeks. (y)
I concur, it's a terrific little place - proper old skool, great value greasy spoon.

Back
Top Bottom