Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cafes, coffee stops and favourite greasy spoons in the South East

Perhaps I might be able to mention one of my favourite pubs here - the Gate Inn at Marshside. Situated out in the country about 1.5 miles south of the 'Roman Galley' on the Thanet Way, this is a prime example of how pubs should be. The Shepherd Neame real ales come straight from the barrel (gravity), the log fire is always glowing, the floor is Yorkstone, and the doorstep Black Pudding/wholemeal bread sandwiches are unbeatable. If it's fine, there's a small garden where ducks from the stream wander around waiting for scraps. No canned music, no fruit machines, no chavs. Idyllic.

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Rochdale View Post
    Perhaps I might be able to mention one of my favourite pubs here - the Gate Inn at Marshside. Situated out in the country about 1.5 miles south of the 'Roman Galley' on the Thanet Way, this is a prime example of how pubs should be. The Shepherd Neame real ales come straight from the barrel (gravity), the log fire is always glowing, the floor is Yorkstone, and the doorstep Black Pudding/wholemeal bread sandwiches are unbeatable. If it's fine, there's a small garden where ducks from the stream wander around waiting for scraps. No canned music, no fruit machines, no chavs. Idyllic.
    Lovely - But i never drink alcohol during the day, or evenings if i'm driving/riding.
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
    Lovely - But i never drink alcohol during the day, or evenings if i'm driving/riding.

You certainly make up for it when you stop though.
    Any spelling mistakes, punctuation errors or missuse of capitals are intentional and are designed to wind up the doughnuts amongst us.

Loomies

Loomies Cafe

A32 southwest side of the junction with the A272 West Meon Hants

In the centre of mid Hants best biking roads.

Was the Little Chef now in biker friendly hands . Family run . Is proving to be a busy spot for local bikers of all descriptions. Good grub and reasonable value
    Frank

Dave Williamson

Coffee/ Eating stops in the SE

Dear all here is a couple of venues we use regularly.

Shorham Flying club at Shorham Airport I think they call it terminal 1. It is to the East of the main building, better value too.

Popham Airfileld in Hants just to the NW of the A 303/ M3 junction and N of the village of Micheldever. The owner of the airport is a Ducati fan and the cafe is regularly frequented by bikers of all kinds.

Dave W

Cafe at Goodwood aerodrome. Nice breakfast etc and you can watch the planes, helicopters and then wander over to watch a bit of racing at the circuit.

Co-ords are N50.85762 W0.75310

Another good place to aim for in the South East, the Belgian Bar on Ramgate's seafront. Right opposite the obelisk. Park your bike(s) on the pavement opposite. Gadd's Real Ale used to be brewed on the premises until recently, and they also used to bake their own baguettes and cakes. Leffe Blonde and Brune on draught and the entire range of bottled Trappiste beers. Went there on Saturday and had piping hot French Onion Soup with a baguette. Very nice subdued atmosphere, no music, no fruit machines and no chavs. Just pleasant people in conversation. Walk around the Royal harbour afterwards, or to the end of the piers.

www.bikercafes.com

M'stone Kent - still not far enough away from Burnley!

Burger van A20 leaving Ashford (west)

good sized portions
    N51 10.668 E0 49.294

Roy

a) Waterside cafe in Benson. In Benson Oxfordshire next to Thames. Plenty free parking.

b) Burger van on top of Portsdown overlooking Pompey.

c) National trust cafe on Dunstable downs.

Strand Cafe The Strand, Rye East Sussex

The Strand Cafe is located on the A259 on the "kettle o fish" roundabout in Rye East Sussex. There is loads of room for parking up on the quay opposite the cafe. They are all biker pro, great breakfasts lunch or tea, great price and lovely roads. I just wish there were more GSers there whenever I get over that way. Sorry I cant give a grid ref but I'm too poor to have GPS at the moment. Go give it a try, I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Oh yeah........great roads 2.

2 around the Salisbury plain area

Ideal for those out for a day on the plain. Millard and I had brekkie at Friar Tucks in Amesbury, good cooked breakfast and reasonably priced. Then we stopped at the Bustard Inn for a break. We didn't eat on this ocassion but I have eaten there before and the food wasn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventure Stu View Post
    Ideal for those out for a day on the plain. Millard and I had brekkie at Friar Tucks in Amesbury, good cooked breakfast and reasonably priced. Then we stopped at the Bustard Inn for a break. We didn't eat on this ocassion but I have eaten there before and the food wasn't too bad.
    +1

Lock Cafe, Heybridge Basin, Essex

The Lock Café, Heybridge Basin this is just at the end of my road does excellent food has pleasant views (check the tides!)and is bike friendly. Give us a shout if you’re coming down and I’ll join you for a full English and probably join you on the ride out
    51.72930°N 0.71049°E
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Airport Cafe on the A20 between Westenhanger and Sellinge.

N51 05.47 E1 00.766

Fairly new, I think and certainly grown a little over recent months, presumably because of the building work going on opposite (rubbish recycling unit*, I think, but doesn't smell!)

Handy for Romney Marsh, which is full of decent GS roads, even though it's flat. And usually windy.

* By which I mean it'll be a unit for rcycling rubbish, rather than a recycling unit which isn't very good.
    I'm tired of giving a reason when the future is what we believe in.

LOOMIES BIKER CAFE NEAR ALTON (A32)

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Great venue,good service, but the local HAMPSHIRE CONSTABULARY (WNKRS), sit in there and occasionally pull everything that moves and now got an unmarked Fireblade with an unmarked copper sat on it, mostly. (lights in the grill allegedly)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast