Cafes, coffee stops and favourite greasy spoons in Ireland

You got to try the Ashers in Carnmoney, Newtownabbey. Really nice grub!! Also the Ashers diner on the left beside the garage on the way into Larne..:thumb

Ultimate Irish Pizza ...... Tosser Deal

Ah, but no mention of a healthy discount for fellow Tossers. :nenau :augie

:D

Listen peeps...:D:D

If there is an organised group ...I'll sort something out :thumb2

:clap If there is an organised charity run on going through these parts.... :clap
...........I would be honoured to help out.....

:rob I'll not see any tossers hungry :beerjug:
(especailly on a tuesday:D)

Just PM me:type
.Gs Pizza

An old standby for tossers here would be Maud's, on the Main Street in Newcastle. Good grub, nice views, you can sit outside on the terrace for a coffee and a smoke if you're so afflicted and the weather's decent. And the ice cream is excellent :thumb

N54 12.634 W5 53.420

Further up the street is the Strand Caff and beside it Sea Salt, both good in their own way too. Pavement tables in summer.

BTW, WTF have they done with the bike parking outside Tropicana? :nenau

Waypoints

Since it's likely I won't have a printed list of these places I thought I'd put them into Mapsource. (see attached GDB)
If you can post the GPS locations we could keep an updated GDB of recommended hovels that serve good grub. :eek:

Download this one, update it and upload it again ?

Attachments

• IrishGreasySpoons.gdb
    1.5 KB · Views: 313
On the Beara once you get to Castletownbere there is a good fried breakfast to be had in the cafe in front of Supervalue (murphys I think). In fact I think the only fried up breakfast available on the Beara all year round.

Mc Carthys do good sea food chowder if thats your thing too.

In Allihies no greasy cafe, but on the road to Dursey in the summer is a caravan doing good food. Summer months only.

Ok, here is my choice, waypoints maye not be 100% as Mapsource doesn't have specific eateries listed, but here goes:-

1. The Galley, Glassdrumman Rd, Annalong, Co Down.
N54 06.612 W5 53.969

Take away only, but weather permitting tables outside. Best choice of fish I have ever had, size and variety.

2. Mortons Fish Shop, Ballycastle Harbour, Co Antrim.
N55 12.443 W6 14.454

Co Antrims answer to The Galley. Again take away only, can wait for your fish but choice, variety, size and quality worth it.

3. The Pitstop, Balloo Rd, Bangor, Co Down.
N54 38.355 W5 40.125

Choice of Take away, roadside trucker type set up or sit-in and enjoy huge variety, from Ulster fry to Sunday dinner, and pots of tea/coffee, very reasonably priced and large portions.

4. Cafollas, Conway Square, Newtownards.
N54 35.588 W5 41.773

Small family run diner, sit in or take away, everything from beans on toast to Ulster fry and fish and chips and the famed Cafollas Ice Cream. Get there on Saturday and avail of the street market being overwatched by the bronze statue of Blair Mayne.

5. Daft Eddies, Sketerick Island, Co Down.
N54 29.287 W5 38.896

Bar/Lounge/Restaurant overlooking Whiterock Bay and the yacht club. Outside tables are a favourite in the dry weather.

6. Herrons Country Fried Chicken, Bridge St, Comber, Co Down.
N54 33.072 W5 44.551

Personal favourite and very tasty better, (we think) alternative to KFC. Take away only but Kebab on chips with chicken gravy sauce to die for. (Not real kebab meat, just fried chicken diced, but Mmmmmm)

7. AJ's Downpatrick Rd, Crossgar, Co Down.
N54 23.748 W5 45.637

Just agreeing with Geno here and adding waypoint. Top Nosh.

Sorry if the waypoints are not 100%, but if you get that close you'll see them. Think thats enough for me for today, beginning to look like advertising section in Yellow Pages, hope they have been a help. :beer:

I like the idea of the photo rally but this just seems soo much more rewarding:thumb

My additions are 'Brams Cafe' (signposted) just off the Fairview park end of the Malahide Rd Dublin (nice breaky all day afaik) and 'Gerrys' just off camden st. Their where I go anyway.

Last edited:
Since it's likely I won't have a printed list of these places I thought I'd put them into Mapsource. (see attached GDB)
If you can post the GPS locations we could keep an updated GDB of recommended hovels that serve good grub. :eek:

Good idea.........except my Garmin Nuvi dont require MapSource (so I don't have it) and it dont deal with with GDB files:mad: I can create POI files if the data can be presented in a .csv spreadsheet-type format? Any chance of running the two formats in parallel on this thread?:nenau

I know, I've got to get a different GPS......
V

buncrana

TRY TOMMIES ROADSIDE CAFE WHERE THE FISH AND CHIPS ARE FABULOUS THE BATTERED SAUCAGES ARE SCRUMPTOUS AND THE PIZZAS WOULD FEED A WHOLE ARMY. YOU CAN ALSO POST ON LINE WHILE YOU FEAST IN THE NEWLY ADDED INTERNET AND VIDEO SECTION .YOU MIGHT JUST MEET THE CIVIL FELLOW THERE AS ITS ALWAYS HIS HAUNT WHEN MAMMY IS NOT ABOUT TO MAKE THE T.!!!!

The Harbour Inn, Larne.:clap

Owned by Liz & Spanner

Good food & hearty portions - just up the road from the ferry terminal.

Click on the beers
:beerjug:

URLINGFORD From Cork to Dublin or Vice Versa

URLINGFORD

a lot of people stop off at Urlingford at the large petrol station, as i have been doing for the last number of years , but a dickie bird told me there is a new Turkish Kabab shop up beside the chipper near the centre of the town , well on the way down from Dublin last friday night , we called in expecting to get a take away kabab! , but sat down and had a royal feast for 2 with refill's of beverages FOC , i would say the nicest Kabab I have ever had

pg

Last edited:
Maynooth

<a href="http://www.cafetwist.com/" target="_blank">Twist Cafe</a> , Fagan's Lane, Maynooth (opposite Straffan Road). Great breakfast, served all day AFAIK. Has become a regular Saturday morning haunt for me. :thumb2

Not so much of Greasy spoon but great grub, reasonable priced and well worth the ride out is the Speckled Door on the old head of Kinsale. Sorry I don't have GPS co-ordinates yet. It has great parking and is in a fantastic location.

Cheers

Chris

If you can post the GPS locations we could keep an updated GDB of recommended hovels that serve good grub.

Not so much of Greasy spoon but great grub, reasonable priced and well worth the ride out is the Speckled Door on the old head of Kinsale. Sorry I don't have GPS co-ordinates yet. It has great parking and is in a fantastic location.
Cheers
Chris

:thumb2

Even posting a small street map would do the trick, then we could find the waypoint on MapSource. :thumb2

Anyway, I've added "Dinos" a chipper just outside Cork city.

Vireo, how do you create POI on the Nuvi, can you type in coordinates ?

Attachments

• IrishGreasySpoonsUpdated.gdb
    1.7 KB · Views: 249
I had a nice coffee last week in Laragh at the Deli place at the end of the Sally Gap road. Not the cheapest coffee, but tasted good. I rode down from Dublin for a coffee break which is the kind of thing a new bike will bring on.:)

FYI. I used a tool called GPS Utility to translate the .gdb file to .kml so I could import it to Google. It seems to support a lot of formats. The url is http://www.gpsu.co.uk/ for the software (free).
The map is here :
Google map of greasy spoons, and can be edited by anyone.

dB.

Vireo, how do you create POI on the Nuvi, can you type in coordinates ?

Daithi

Apart from saving a location on the device as a 'favourite', the only way I know to do so is to create a .csv file with Lat, Long, Description/comment in successive columns. Thus I have "Custom POI's" files such as 'Greasy Spoons'; 'Hotels'; 'Garda speed check areas' etc, each as a separate xxxx.csv file.

I then use POI Uploader to store them on the Nuvi, or edit/upload via POIEdit or some such appl...?

I think I need a Zumo.....:augie

V

Banagher.
Co. Offaly,

the Dead centre :augie of this Island.

Heidis,
Courtyard Coffee shop
Crank road
(no - really, it IS called Crank Road!).

Heidi is sound, prices reasonable, portions are good and Bikers welcomed.
middle of the town, just off the main street - car park opposite.

MAG and IRTA have often held meetings there coz it's central, and theres a room for hire nearby - but ...really it's coz of Heidis food :D

Attachments

• HeidisGSedit.JPG
    HeidisGSedit.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 784
Good eating in Cashel

Ladyswell Restaurant, Ladyswell, Cashel - great food, service & prices. Good parking.

Grid ref N52 31.126
W 7 53.174

Also in Maynooth

<a href="http://www.cafetwist.com/" target="_blank">Twist Cafe</a> , Fagan's Lane, Maynooth (opposite Straffan Road). Great breakfast, served all day AFAIK. Has become a regular Saturday morning haunt for me. :thumb2

Give Kehoes Deli beside the Roost Bar a go. Full Fry is excellent. Lunch menu is first class but slightly more than twist both in quantity of food and price. Ted the bosses hubby is a bit of a pain in the a@s*, Alvern boss and great cook. Ted does the hiring and firing of staff waitress is always a looker. :blast Dooh I'm not supposed to say those things any more.:blast:blast:blast:augie:augie:augie
:aidan

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom