Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cafes, coffee stops and favourite greasy spoons in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by sieve68 View Post
    there is a wee shop in whiterashes on the road between oldmeldrum and Newmacher that does a fantastic steak sandwich and will sell you some steak to take home.
    +1 - pass it everyday and its truly mega!!

Orlandies ice cream is ok, keep going till cullen on the moray coast and thats where you'll find the 2nd best ice cream of all time imo. 3rd best ice cream is peters at cairnbulg and 1st by a country mile is Foosies at the roundabout in Thornhill, Dumfriesshire - awesome, been having some for 28 years every summer!

Deleted account rno
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Well I actually thought it was at Errol. Anyway its right next to Perthshire Caravans and as the an says is a great rest stop

AndyT
    Errol it is. I was thinkin about the one that's at Inchture at the junction with the Abernyte road. (well it was there in the 70's )

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronno View Post
    Errol it is. I was thinkin about the one that's at Inchture at the junction with the Abernyte road. (well it was there in the 70's )
    That ain's still there Ronno.

A real throw back tae the 60's (you'd be at hame there then). American diner style wi loadso pics o big rigs on the wa's. The Horse Shoe Cafe & Restaurant it's ca'ed, used tae be JG's.

No bad grub too.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and preserved piece, but to slide across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!!!

+1 for the arch inn ullapool

the night we went to the ferryboat inn was 'folk warbling' night ...........

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pasto64/2083751678/

http://www.cluanieinn.com/

Bridge cottage cafe Poolewe

http://www.thecraggan.co.uk/

Thumbs up heres a few more............

'Pillars Of Hercules' farm shop and cafe, just outside Falkland,Fife
    'Tapa' bakehouse and coffeeshop, Dennistoun in Glasgow
    'Ralia' cafe on A9, near Newtonmore
    'Mountain' coffeeshop /cafe in Gairloch

Motorgrill at Ballinluig for superb cooked breakfast, one of the best in Scotland?

'An Lochan' at the Tormauchin in Glendevon.

[QUOTE=jww62;1753277]
    'Mountain' coffeeshop /cafe in Gairloch[QUOTE]

2 coffee's ,2 rock cakes - £12

good but expensive

Deleted account rno

Station Buffet Bar, Elie

I looked into the Station Buffet Bar in Elie, Fife (lovely wee coastal village with a cracking sandy beach) and had a coffee in the pub which is on the main street. Turns out that it was voted the Sunday Mail Pub Of The Year 2008. The barman and several regulars were ultra friendly, which make a pleasant change when you step into a strange boozer. It was just after 11 a.m. when I went in but it started to fill up. It turns out that the barman was Edith Bowman's (Radio One DJ) faither. There were two or three music memorabilia items on the walls among lots of railway, sporting and seafairing stuff. Edith Bowman and her brother own the pub but there's nothing "showbizzie" about it.

A really nice pub with a very heathy selection of whiskies.

Oh, I had the car in case yer wondering why I was drinking coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by columbus View Post
    Castle Stalker tearoom, N56 34.540 W5 22.727. On the A828 between Ballachulish and Connel. Overlooks the castle itself and there is a bike specific car park.
    Was in there yesterday! good grub and for a touristy place prices were brill.

Green welly now has a pizza stop, sit down or take out. Not cheap but very good.

Applecross Inn is always good and depending on the ride over a welcome place to go drip dry or warm up!

There was a greasy spoon on the campsite at Thurso that used to do a massive breakfast, Billys bumper breakfast (he gave us our money back once for eating 2 each) I didn't eat till next morning, them wer the days. When men wer men and even the women wer men!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWarlock View Post
    Great eatery on along the west bank of Loch Lomond, A82 between Tarbet and Ardlui. Unfortunately, to my shame, I can't remember the name of it, but I'm sure some better informed tosser from Scotland can help out

Great battered fish and fabulous apple pie
    Might be the Bonnie Brae (woz it white wi a green and white sign?)

We had some cracking munchies in The Alford Bistro, funnily enough, in Alford.

Superb home bake trolley.

Deleted account rno
    The Croft Inn just about a mile from Glenlivet on the B9008 Dufftown road. Cracking wee place and really good food. Best pub grub I've tasted in a long time. Over 60 different malts and a few cask ales.

Langholm on the A7

Hello everyone,
    Whitshiels Cafe and Caravan Park, Langholm, Dumfriesshire (on the A7)
    Small cafe run by Mr and Mrs Vickers. This is an excellent little cafe, it's spotlessly clean and the food is just excellent, really is a smashing little place. Plenty of parking, caravan site is small but room for a few tents too.
    Regards, Richard.

1 . Townhead cafe at the top of Biggar high street , braw fish supper !!!!!

2. The Drovers Inn on Loch Lomond , braw Highland Burger !!!!!!

The cafe on South High Street in Portsoy (I cant remember what it is called)

Its just down from the chemist toward the harbour (just off the main road through)

Less that a fiver for a toastie and a pot of tea - good value these days.

airwave

Kincardine O'neil

Post office in Kincardine O'Neil does stunning bacon butties.
    made on the premisies, while you wait.

(will also do black pudding n egg rolls)

Good excuse to slow down going through Kincardine O'Neil as it's known for being a place used to tax skiers in the winter (the boys in blue have been known to nail anyone doing 33+ through town in the winter, just as the skiers are on a mission to get to the slopes at the crack of noon)

Deleted account rno

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by airwave View Post
    Post office in Kincardine O'Neil does stunning bacon butties.
    made on the premisies, while you wait.

(will also do black pudding n egg rolls)

Good excuse to slow down going through Kincardine O'Neil as it's known for being a place used to tax skiers in the winter (the boys in blue have been known to nail anyone doing 33+ through town in the winter, just as the skiers are on a mission to get to the slopes at the crack of noon)
    Bacon rolls made on the premises while you wait? How are bacon rolls usually put together?

We'll need to send AndyT to recce this place for a taste test. A good bacon roll is a Tosser prerequisite on a morning run.

BTW Welcome to the SS

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast