Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cafes, coffee stops and favourite greasy spoons in Scotland

Did someone mention bacon rolls?

If you are ever flying into Wick International Airport, the caff there does cracking bacon butties too and a good mug o' coffee...none of ye 'Starbucks' and McBurgers crap.

Welcome to the Jungle..

airwave
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronno View Post
    Bacon rolls made on the premises while you wait? How are bacon rolls usually put together?

We'll need to send AndyT to recce this place for a taste test. A good bacon roll is a Tosser prerequisite on a morning run.

BTW Welcome to the SS
    They are usually made with bacon taken from a place where it's been kept warm since being fried some indeterminate time earlier, levels the workload on the staff.
    However, now that I'm back in the sandpit (close to knoteatingham) I could murder for a decent bacon buttie . . . . . . .

cheers for the welcome to the SS, looks like a fun (if slightly dangerous) place . .

The only place in Scotland to make better tasting Bacon Butties is the wee cafe behind the MRI rescue building in Stonehaven (out on the harbour)
    They use "smoked bacon" hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    (gash buns though) more than made up for with the triple hot chocolate . . .

Deleted account rno
    Excellent pub grub at the recently re-opened The Bruce (a cosy wee hotel) in Falkand, Fife.

Their Penne Carbonara is the best I've ever tasted by some distance and I'm a bit o' a conisseur when it comes tae pasta dishes.

Friendly staff as well which is always nice

The Tuscan
    If you like seafood then this is the place to go and great roads to get there. You know the way

http://www.lochlevenseafoodcafe.co.uk/

dont be put off by the prices, the portions match them

A new cafe just opened in the Fettercairn called 'The Arch' Nice place, great home made soup and the cakes are ace. Has a farm shop there too if you are after a neep on the way home!! Good place to stop and fuel up when having a run over the Cairn 'O' Mount.

It's just beside the famous arch (funny that!!)

Borderline

Cedar cafe

The South East, especially the A1 are much ignored - I know the West side of the country offers all the views and twisty roads, BUT you don't have the Cedar cafe.
    About 20 miles North of the border on the A1 in a great big lay-bye at Grantshouse.
    Biggest freshly cooked fry up you've ever seen along with clean tables, clean bogs and licked clean plates.
    Plenty of parking, outside tables and Yorkie eaters.

Hopeman Chippy in Moray and theirs a great Layby Fast Food bar situated in an old single deck Bus on A96 between Huntley and Inverurie. Full Breakfast is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by MorayGSer View Post
    theirs a great Layby Fast Food bar situated in an old single deck Bus on A96 between Huntly and Inverurie. Full Breakfast is amazing.
    The Pit Stop is pretty good. I have carried out some 'research' there on a couple of occasions....although as I live but 5mins away, I dont visit very often which is good for my waistline.

(oh and there is nae 'e' in Huntly)

poor tom
    Quote Originally Posted by John Armstrong View Post
    Recycled Little Chef in Tyndrum: http://www.therealfoodcafe.com/
    There's no way I'd have guessed this was a recycled junk food place. An excellent establishment: freshly-cooked, real food, and a convenient stopping point, too, being half-way to most places...

Oh, but on other roads, I've always had good nosh from the van at Carter Bar, and further east, the Queen's Head in Berwick-upon-Tweed (NOT the Queen's Head in Tweedmouth!!) has excellent food - between pub-grub and restaurant style - not too formal, but VERY tasty. Used to be a handy place to go while Andy sorted the bike for me, but since the fire he's in Duns, where the local garden centre - although convenient etc etc - isn't quite the same as the QH with its fresh-landed fish...

artisancoffee.co.uk

anyone tried artisancoffee? they are in broughton street in edinburgh and gibson street in glasgow, very good coffee

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    There's a wee cafe (Biker's Cove) operating at South Queensferry. It's a bit basic but you get a half decent coffee for a quid (discount for bikers so I was told). You also get to gaze across the Forth from almost beneath the rail bridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klanky View Post
    I've had some excellent times with the German Navy
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    Who was the Whatton fellow anyway? Was he of any importance?

Pillars of Hercules

www.pillars.co.uk , great place , near Falkland, awesome coffee and food, can sit out under the trees in the strawberry field or on the wooden verandah, some fantastic roads to explore in and around fife (yahoorsir)

Agree with poor tom, The van on Carter Bar does good bacon rolls.So does the cafe at Rochester on the A68 south of Carter Bar.

The Aurora cafe

The Aurora Is situated at Strathlene near Buckie,excellent cafe with sofas if you just want a coffee and cake or tables if you want a meal. Its in a lovely spot right on the coast,well worth a visit.

Cafe Caan

20 Exchange street Dundee

DD1 3DL

01382 204200

Bike parking at the end of the street or up the pend by the side of the cafe

Bra panini's and homemade cakes/soup etc

Coffee's not too shabby either

01382 204200
    Our biggest challenges are won or lost in the soul

Quote Originally Posted by smirky View Post
    Cafe Caan

20 Exchange street Dundee

DD1 3DL

01382 204200

Bike parking at the end of the street or up the pend by the side of the cafe

Bra panini's and homemade cakes/soup etc

Coffee's not too shabby either

01382 204200
    Are they on the phone Smirky?

(Sounds like the very place this Saturday when I'm up there )
    Quote Originally Posted by Klanky View Post
    I've had some excellent times with the German Navy
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    Who was the Whatton fellow anyway? Was he of any importance?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast