Votes: 10 9.8%
  • Would never do it

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Might do it, but the IAM is so boring

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Would rather do RoSPA, Diamond etc...

Votes: 14 13.7%

• Total voters
I would agree with the sentiment that no training is wasted. I had ridden for 22 years, riding most days of the year, before I had any training. I took my IAM test this year after undertaking training with two different groups in the Midlands, generally found experience worthwhile and met some good people who are dedicated to raising rider safety standards (also met a few idiots whom I would not ride with again, but at least they were safe idiots!). Found test quite easy and standard not very challenging so have now joined local RoSPA group to continue my development.
I think the greatest gain for me has been way I have taken time to reflect on my own riding and see it as a skill I can develop and that riding well is something to be proud of.

I have passed the IAM bike test and thoroughly enjoyed the training and structure.

However, I also agree that there is some inconsistency between the various observers that I have experienced. This may be a result of the rapid increase in numbers in recent years and difficulty in monitoring the knowledge/performance of a large number of volunteers.

I am now doing my car training and have to say that if I hadn't paid my money up front I would have left after the first session.

The first evening of "classroom" was an eye opener for sure. Someone described it as anal, all I can say is that parts of it are are certainly a bit OTT in my opinion. Ask your passengers to check that their doors are shut properly but also tell them which hand to use (according to which side of the car they are sitting in) and then tell them how to put on their seat belt. Tell them how to open the door. How bloody condescending is that?

Whilst some people may still drive classic cars without anti-burst door locks and others may have cars without "door open" indicators mine have both. Not only that I will immediately hear that the door didn't close properly by the noise it makes. I could go on...................

Thought it was worthwhile and learned a lot from a variety of instructors.........you can of course take it again after passing it once just to make sure you keep up to speed. Also members get a slightly reduced insurance premium :thumb

My concern with the IAM is their need to "make progress" from what I have seen this leads to some silly and dangerous overtakes. Personally I would prefer to wait for a safe overtake and maybe arrive a minute or two later, and not progress to the local hospital.

I did the IAM test last November and it was definately worth while as I know I had picked up some bad habits.
I enquired about further training this year by doing the "advanced plus" (I think that's what it's called) and one of their senior instructors advised me to do the RoSPA course instead. I've been out for 3 or 4 observed rides with my RoSPA observer and advised to apply for the test now.
From personal experience the IAM training is very good, perhaps I was lucky as I had a very good observer, but the RoSPA training has taken me to a higher level.
My last ride on Sunday was in pishin rain and I had a great (though soggy) time, making good progress in lousy conditons and feeling confident about it.

Millard

VERY INTERESTING

Some very interesting replies on this subject. I belong to one of only 4 Motorcycle only RoSPA groups in the country at last count.

If the IAM test is so good why is there no retest after 3 years or so like RoSPA?

Now the bit some of you will not like but hey I have broad shoulders. Out of the number of IAM Riders and Observers that I have assessed not one would have been ready for a RoSPA test (To pass at any grade) So considering that both organizations use the same teaching aids (Current H.W.C. Road Craft and K.Y.T.S) Where does the difference come in?

Out of the number of IAM Riders and Observers that I have assessed not one would have been ready for a RoSPA test

:D

I passed my IAM test a year or so ago, and agree that the focus (at least with the group I trained with) was progress under all circumstances. A friend (who is a RoSPA observer) suggested that I might like to "up my standard" and do the RoSPA test.

Well, my first ride was a real eye opener, and found that they not only focus on the same things as the IAM, but a whole lot more. Not just where you sit on the road, but what it is you're riding over; the one overtake procedure has now become three, and numerous other things that went in one ear and out the other.

All that with a three year re-test, and different grades of pass suggests to me a higher overall standard... imho of course :rolleyes:

:eek:

Well I'm just about to do my IAM test after having been an associate for the past 4 months or so. My observer has tried to teach me things about what the road surface is doing, what the potential hazrards are, what could happen etc, etc.

I agree that a 3 yearly retest would be a good thing but at the moment I just feel better having made the effort to get out there and do that deeply unsexy thing called advanced training. Surely that is the point here?

:thumb

SOut of the number of IAM Riders and Observers that I have assessed not one would have been ready for a RoSPA test (To pass at any grade) So considering that both organizations use the same teaching aids (Current H.W.C. Road Craft and K.Y.T.S) Where does the difference come in?

Interesting isnt it... All I can guess at is that there seems to be a varying level of training / standards required across the Country... If it helps... I just did my Senior Observers Training this year and got told I was riding at a similar standard to Class I (which was rather nice)... :bounce1 Your more than welcome to come down and go for a spin mate!!!

:eek:
I agree that a 3 yearly retest would be a good thing but at the moment I just feel better having made the effort to get out there and do that deeply unsexy thing called advanced training. Surely that is the point here?
:thumb

I think this is the point... Everyone can benefit from this unsexy thing called 'Advanced Training'..

But, why is it looked at as "Unsexy"??? :nenau

Cheers

Nate

But, why is it looked at as "Unsexy"??? :nenau

Cheers

Nate

you could start by checking out the huge thread where all you IAM types are arguing about which foot to put down at traffic lights :p

Fair Point

:rob

BUT... I disagree with being called an ÏAM Type"...

What's so bad about wanting to improve your riding? Nothing in my book.

And by the way, I did ask about which foot to use as I was picked up for it on my dummy test. Turns out that even the observers can't fully agree so I'm going to use my left (As I have been doing for years thereby covering the back brake) and if I fail for it then they can stick their test...

Is that IAM Type enough for you?

;)

The main thing is that training is worth having - as long as there's training in the mental processes that underly safe riding. That's what really makes you safe.

I reckon there are enough IAM and RoSPA observers on here to organise a GSer training day. Maybe a bit of theory and a few two-to-one rideouts.

What do people think?

Which foot down

Well this is the answer from the book " An advanced motorcyclist should be able to fully control the machine with either foot on the ground" However this is my take, If I have to stop at a minor to major junction or traffic light it's always left foot down right foot covering rear brake. If I have to stop on a major to minor right turn then it's always right foot down. This take the grounded foot out of the traffic flow from behind. I don't care if it's right or wrong in some eyes but it makes sense to me.

I've done both IAM and ROSPA. Done he IAM about 6 years ago and he ROSPA 3 years ago.

Turning up at the local IAM group on a Gixxer 750 with a Yoshimura with no 'packing' in went down well...:D

The bloke who who runs the group is about the biggest twat I've had the misfortune to ride with, I don't think I've ever come across such a 'know all'. Told me he was quicker than me on his beemer, I tried my utmost not to piss myself...:cool:

Anyway, the observer I had was a great bloke and a pretty cool rider. He had a CBR6, so we used to take off from the 'pipe brigade and have some fun. He taught me a lot!

I'm not going to go into the 'system' but I took a lot away from it and customised it to suit my riding. It's not written in stone as some seem to think it is, in fact some of the IAM stuff is feckin madness but that's another story!

The ROSPA course I felt was better, maybe because the bloke I rode with was such a 'gem'?

Take away from it what you want and plan it into your ride, it's gets better over time...:thumb

DD...:thumb2

Some very interesting replies on this subject. I belong to one of only 4 Motorcycle only RoSPA groups in the country at last count.

If the IAM test is so good why is there no retest after 3 years or so like RoSPA?

Now the bit some of you will not like but hey I have broad shoulders. Out of the number of IAM Riders and Observers that I have assessed not one would have been ready for a RoSPA test (To pass at any grade) So considering that both organizations use the same teaching aids (Current H.W.C. Road Craft and K.Y.T.S) Where does the difference come in?

IMHO you are exagerating slightly to make a point

Rob

RoSPA Gold (x2) / IAM Observer

:rob

BUT... I disagree with being called an ÏAM Type"...

What's so bad about wanting to improve your riding? Nothing in my book.

And by the way, I did ask about which foot to use as I was picked up for it on my dummy test. Turns out that even the observers can't fully agree so I'm going to use my left (As I have been doing for years thereby covering the back brake) and if I fail for it then they can stick their test...

Is that IAM Type enough for you?

;)

The correct answer is: You must be able to put either down and remain in balance to operate the controls with one foot on the ground. This is also quoted in the Road Craft (IAM Bible) and IAM Litrature. So put the one down that you don't need to use!

Consider learning how to pull away on a slope using the front break and throttle at the same time.

Any good IAM Observer would tell you that.

So infact it is not an issue - what is is not staying upright when stopped!!!

Rik

From a former Senior IAM Observer;The Rospa Gold is of a higher standard, but I would do them all, starting with bikesafe, if you are not the confident type.

A graduated training plan would be IMHO:

1. Bikesafe
2. IAM
3. Rospa, upto Gold standard

I might get shot down here, but I believe the Rospa Gold to be the highest available civilian standard!:thumb

From a former Senior IAM Observer;The Rospa Gold is of a higher standard, but I would do them all, starting with bikesafe, if you are not the confident type.

A graduated training plan would be IMHO:

1. Bikesafe
2. IAM
3. Rospa, upto Gold standard

I might get shot down here, but I believe the Rospa Gold to be the highest available civilian standard!:thumb

*stands up - ready with blindfold and last cigarette* :D
i would agree...but then i would :p

i've been meaning to do up a post on "The Test" - any/all of them. :rolleyes:
coz the bottom line here is is it safe?
never mind the minutae / petty details of e.g. which foot etc.
all that ANY Examiner looks for is just that;
Is It Safe?

when i get a round tuit... someday, one of these days... i'll get a round tuit :blast
~~
Og,
RoSPA Gold and DIPstick :)

Back
Top Bottom