• Would never do it

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Might do it, but the IAM is so boring

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Would rather do RoSPA, Diamond etc...

Votes: 14 13.7%

• Total voters
Robb

And you are basing your reply on how many Gold Grade passes upgraded from and IAM Pass?

And you are basing your reply on how many Gold Grade passes upgraded from and IAM Pass?

Who's talking about gold grade passes.
You said you haven't come across any IAM riders or observers who are ready to pass the RoSPA test at any grade.

Me thinks you have RoSPA tinted specs.:bow

Who's talking about gold grade passes.
You said you haven't come across any IAM riders or observers who are ready to pass the RoSPA test at any grade.

Me thinks you have RoSPA tinted specs.:bow

Not really.

The IAM test standard is roughly the same as a RoSPA Bronze.

One major flaw with the IAM system is their ridiculous assertion that people will be test-ready with just six 35-mile Observed runs .........

Granted, some are, but the majority aren't.

The issue that gets to me is that of asking Associates for a contribution to costs. The IAM has set a National Maximum Contribution of £100. Most groups ask folk to dole out £10 per run. This has been so for at least 4 years, when petrol prices have gone from 74p/litre to £1.03/litre.

This becomes an issue, at least for me, because I can see little merit in training someone to be able to maintain their concentration for 90 minutes or 35 miles. If someone wants to be called 'Advanced' it's not unreasonable to expect that riding to 'the System' can be maintained all day.

You can see where this is leading. If training runs are at the 60 - 80 mile range the Instructor/Tutor/Observer is losing money when you take into account fuel, tyres and servicing costs. So, let's say each run is £15 .. then we meet the £100 barrier.

I have taken a number of people from IAM to RoSPA. Some have been very good - they're all IAM Observers - but most have had a long way to go to reach Gold standard. It's not the principles of advanced riding that they fall down on, it's the application of them.

An earlier suggestion that you can improve your riding by doing Bikesafe. IAM and then RoSPA in that order is sound. Of course, Bikesafe is really little more than an assessment with some tips. I know that Avon & Somerset do a residential weekend which lots of people rave about.

If the subject ever comes up, I tend to advise people to do the IAM first (that gets them the Insurance discount) and then follow on to do RoSPA.

Not really.

The IAM test standard is roughly the same as a RoSPA Bronze.

One major flaw with the IAM system is their ridiculous assertion that people will be test-ready with just six 35-mile Observed runs .........

Granted, some are, but the majority aren't.

The issue that gets to me is that of asking Associates for a contribution to costs. The IAM has set a National Maximum Contribution of £100. Most groups ask folk to dole out £10 per run. This has been so for at least 4 years, when petrol prices have gone from 74p/litre to £1.03/litre.

This becomes an issue, at least for me, because I can see little merit in training someone to be able to maintain their concentration for 90 minutes or 35 miles. If someone wants to be called 'Advanced' it's not unreasonable to expect that riding to 'the System' can be maintained all day.

You can see where this is leading. If training runs are at the 60 - 80 mile range the Instructor/Tutor/Observer is losing money when you take into account fuel, tyres and servicing costs. So, let's say each run is £15 .. then we meet the £100 barrier.

I have taken a number of people from IAM to RoSPA. Some have been very good - they're all IAM Observers - but most have had a long way to go to reach Gold standard. It's not the principles of advanced riding that they fall down on, it's the application of them.

An earlier suggestion that you can improve your riding by doing Bikesafe. IAM and then RoSPA in that order is sound. Of course, Bikesafe is really little more than an assessment with some tips. I know that Avon & Somerset do a residential weekend which lots of people rave about.

If the subject ever comes up, I tend to advise people to do the IAM first (that gets them the Insurance discount) and then follow on to do RoSPA.

Hang on a second!!!

1) The contribution to costs is voluntary... Personally I don't ask or expect any money... And those who do accept it, well its no more than a £5 a throw

2) Who said anything about 6 observed runs... Members are given 12 months to take and pass their test, therefore say an average of once a fortnight... that allows 20 runs at least if they need it!

3) As for 90 minutes.... well your right... if You are Riding to The System, then yes, you can maintain it All Day... However, if your teaching someone, its a proven fact that concentration lapses after quite a short period of time, therefore why bombard them with information when they havent got a chance of retaining it... Far better to teach them piece by piece and prepare them for their test that way...

4) I do agree with you on the IAM test being similar to Rospa Bronze, I also suggest that Observer and Senior Observer are equivilent to Rospa Silver and Gold... When your an Observer or Senior, your re assessed every 3 years anyway, so again on a par with Rospa.

:nenau

I.A.M

I passed my test in 1997
I love riding especially with the wife
I use the Knowledge i was taught by a superb rider called Len Tromans of the AA Widmerpool Notts I called him RED LEADER

Maybe lucky i stay alive using the Training and proudly display my badge
Too many riders are killed or badly hurt thinking they are good riders
They pass me Balls out to Baghdad knees out cranking it over on the bends
When they could go round the bend sat up right reading the road watching everything around

Well done I.A.M :thumb

Can someone tell me what ROSPA Smart is please?

Also what is the most reliable way of finding local ROSPA approved instructors?

Can someone tell me what ROSPA Smart is please?

Yes, ROSPA stands for the Royal society for the prevention of accidents and Smart stands for something like Southern area rider training whose members come from Sussex, Surrey, Kent and London because training and lectures are based in the Crawley area. If you go on the website rospasmart.com it's all on there. There will be a rospa organisation in your area. I just got an email detailing the beginning of my training at the end of January and am looking forward to it.
PS The train is based on the police handbook roadcraft and is rated as the highest civilian standard if you attain the Gold standard.

I took & passed my IAM about 6 years ago. I took it on my old 1970 Laverda SF750. I only did 3 observed rides before the pre test then test.

My observer rode a Hyabusa & on one ride reprimanded me for disapearing into the distance on my old Laverda. Then he couldn't work out what I was doing with my right foot, (Changing gear) Why I braked so early (Drum Brakes Front & Rear) Why I used hand signals (No indicators) etc... After the third observed run he said he couldn't teach me anything I didn't already know.

I did think the observer was ignorant of other bikes performance & braking capabilities.

30 years riding tends to teach you the right things eventually.. I ride with a group of IAM passes & the standard of riding is very different in us all. Some seem to have forgot all they learned & went back to their old bad habits.

A 3 year retest would be a good idea.

30 years riding tends to teach you the right things eventually.

You'd think so.

But you need to ask if you actually had 30 consecutive years of experience, or if you simply repeated the 1st year 30 times!

It's all too obvious from driving/riding standards that some poeple either don't lear, or simply refuse to learn.

Back
Top Bottom