Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trail Riders Fellowship 2009

Quote Originally Posted by cutmorej View Post
    as for corriacher pass that will be a no no very shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    whare exactly is the Corriach pass?? Iv'e heard it mentioned but no idea where it is??
    Corrieyairack? Melgarve (Laggan) to Fort Augustus.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by bgfinlay View Post
    Corrieyairack? Melgarve (Laggan) to Fort Augustus.
    Excellent, thats one for me to try in the New year when I'm back on shifts and have time on my hands. Is it da tough trail for the Husky or will I manage it on a big boxer??
    R100GS PD 1993
    Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport 2010
    Triumph 900 Scrambler 2014
    Yamaha Delight 115 Scooter 2013

Citroen DS3 120lux 2015
    Knaus Sun Ti 650 MG 2017

Quote Originally Posted by cutmorej View Post
    oh the trf are great my ass ask the lads down the north east and yorkshire weve lost loads of good legal(was)trails around the above areas and yes i was a member of the trf,we all knew what was going on with the downgrading of trails,rupps,boats etc,etc and when the shit hit the fan by all the dogooders and goverment the trf didnt want to know.just passed the buck as for riding in scotland you do need permission of the landowner but they will never give it as this will then let everyone come up to scotland to ride and they dont want that i know as i live up here and spoke to a lot of farmers,game wardens,forestry etc as for corriacher pass that will be a no no very shortly.just my 2 pennys worth sorry if it offends certain people but they say the truth hurts
    Hmmm have to say I found TRF a little to insular for my tastes with a view that knowledge was power , they seemed reluctant to show new members routes on maps and organised run outs were few and far between (for newbies at least ) and the ones that were seemed to be on a need to know basis. On the odd occassion a chap decided to do a guided run it was going to be at a fee per head?

Thats not to say all members were guilty of being tarred with that brush but it wasnt an inspiration for taking up the cudgle of defending the right to use the tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by IainMac View Post
    Hmmm have to say I found TRF a little to insular for my tastes with a view that knowledge was power , they seemed reluctant to show new members routes on maps and organised run outs were few and far between (for newbies at least ) and the ones that were seemed to be on a need to know basis.
    Things are a bit like that over here, some of the more experienced lads keep what they know to
    themselves, I presume in order to stop the trails being overused and then stopped.

North Wales TRF Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
    I presume in order to stop them being overused and then stopped.
    Or to stop some newbie turning up freshly armed with a GPS Tracklogger, recording the route and then advertise on sites like UKGSER to lead guided runs around £20 to £40 per person.
    It takes a long time in County Council offices researching these old roads and I do get reluctant to 'give it away'.
    Once a rider has attended a few of the runs lead by myself, for example, and I see that they are capable of following the code adopted by the likes of the TRF, GLASS or CRAG-UK, then my guard relaxes and information is passed on.
    Another quick way of getting into the swing of things, is to offer your services at a Horse Trial/Endurance event, or a lane clearing day. You know, put a little more in, not just £40.

Timpo.

ps. I have not been a member of the TRF whilst using the UKGSER site. But, I (and Sarah Teach) have rejoined for the 2008. Nevertheless, I have been leading one or two trail rides advertised on this site, none of which attendees were charged or asked to make any monitary donation, yep that's right, all totally free of charge.
    T.

Quote Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
    ...ps. I have not been a member of the TRF whilst using the UKGSER site. But, I (and Sarah Teach) have rejoined for the 2008. Nevertheless, I have been leading one or two trail rides advertised on this site, none of which attendees were charged or asked to make any monitary donation, yep that's right, all totally free of charge.
    T.
    I can vouch for that having spent a weekend with Forry at Timpo and Sarah Teach's abode. (Sarah Teach is a superb hostess too and an amazing cook by the way).

I used to be in the NW TRF when I lived in Stockport and the guys are a bit reserved at first because as Timpo says it takes alot of effort going to the local offices and studying the definitive map to assertain your legal right of way. Loads of people would come along for a week expecting to get an atlas of routes and bugger off..... No pain no gain... as always
    R100GS PD 1993

Citroen DS3 120lux 2015
    Knaus Sun Ti 650 MG 2017

Andy
    There are a couple of threads in the Scottish section on the corrieairyack - its pretty rocky and steep in places so probably a bit much on a big GS. The track is also impassable on the Fort august side for the last 1/4 mile so you have to start at the Laggan end and do a there and back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clarke View Post
    Andy
    There are a couple of threads in the Scottish section on the corrieairyack - its pretty rocky and steep in places so probably a bit much on a big GS. The track is also impassable on the Fort august side for the last 1/4 mile so you have to start at the Laggan end and do a there and back again.
    Phil - is it impassable due to blockages or has it fallen away, to rocky etc!!!

AndyT
    R100GS PD 1993

Citroen DS3 120lux 2015
    Knaus Sun Ti 650 MG 2017

Look at the map below the pass is the red dotted line. The last section (about the last 500m just below the black dot) is basically an 8 foot deep by 10 feet wide gully full of huge rocks - me and my mates mountainbiked the pass a few years ago and we had to carry right through this section - its probably alot worse now. If your name was Dougie and you were on a montesa you might do it but for a normal trail bike it would be nigh on impossible. There is an alternative at the top of the washout (by Culachy ho) but the landowner is apparently wise to folk trying to bypass the washout and the gate is either locked or he will stop you himself.

There and back from the Laggan side seems to be the best bet plus you get to do both sides as a climb and descent!

I think the access issues are still very gray but I've met several people who have done it and never had any hassle - infact Landrover owner magazine did a feature on driving it so it must be ok....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BuzzFan

choice of bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I couldn't agree more Clive. I enjoyed another 60mile cracking ride around Boxhill, Newlands Corner, West Horsley, Shere, Framley Green on Saturday morning fuelled by tea and bacon sandwiches. A top bunch of like minded blokes. We were so wet and muddy we laughed like school boys at the tsunamis rising as we crashed through puddles. As much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

Jeremy
    Surrey TRF Member
    Hi - was thinking of joining TRF, but couldnt find access to their forum. I was wondering how "sloshy" their routes were! Would the road tyres on my beta alp be insufficient, and/or if I px the Beta for a 650GS, would this be too heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzFan View Post
    Hi - was thinking of joining TRF, but couldnt find access to their forum.
    I don't think there is a central TRF forum. The local groups tend to do their own thing, e.g. my local group uses Yahoo groups. You need to be a TRF member to apply to join the group.

Yes there is a National forum that you have to be a TRF member to log in.

This is the web site and you can join on line.

http://www.trf.org.uk/
    Eddie

I've found loads of unsurfaced roads in Scotland with loads of traffic on them this weekend alone....

...granted they are all in Glasgow City!!!

What's going on with the roads in Glasgow, is the council spending all the cash on Buckfast or something?

(no offence meant to Glasgow Council, I'm sure you're trying your best)

I just recently signed up with my local TRF group in sunny Hertfordshire.
    Had a trial day out with them in December to see if it was what I was looking for before spending me hard earned £41.(got an extra sticker )

Great day out

TRF

I've also recently joined my local TRF (N Wales) and my experience has been a positive one. Whilst I know many of the trails in my immediate locality, joining in the group rides has helped me find new routes and challenges.

I like the fact that the rides are controlled (max number of riders, legal routes, consideration to other users and residents etc), and the feedback from the public that we have met has been polite and positive. I've met some great people on these rides.

I also like the fact that there are some individuals within the group who will go out of their way to help newcomers, lead rides for those 'not from around here', organise ride weekends etc on this and other forums which also helps put some sought after money into the local economy. From what I can figure, none of this has been done for any personal financial gain. When my skills are up, I'll happily help out and assist in running/leading on these events.

Re organised rides, the local group are very active, with a good number of rides planned each month. I went on 3 last month, and am scheduled for 2 this month. In addition to this, there are always the informal rides that are planned at short notice, maybe going with people of similar ability etc. After all, you quickly form friendships in this game and you can;t really expect all 40-50 people to go out together!

So, from my point of view; it's good, and the future is not orange!

Quote Originally Posted by GFJ View Post
    I've also recently joined my local TRF (N Wales) and my experience has been a positive one. Whilst I know many of the trails in my immediate locality, joining in the group rides has helped me find new routes and challenges.

I like the fact that the rides are controlled (max number of riders, legal routes, consideration to other users and residents etc), and the feedback from the public that we have met has been polite and positive. I've met some great people on these rides.

I also like the fact that there are some individuals within the group who will go out of their way to help newcomers, lead rides for those 'not from around here', organise ride weekends etc on this and other forums which also helps put some sought after money into the local economy. From what I can figure, none of this has been done for any personal financial gain. When my skills are up, I'll happily help out and assist in running/leading on these events.

Re organised rides, the local group are very active, with a good number of rides planned each month. I went on 3 last month, and am scheduled for 2 this month. In addition to this, there are always the informal rides that are planned at short notice, maybe going with people of similar ability etc. After all, you quickly form friendships in this game and you can;t really expect all 40-50 people to go out together!

So, from my point of view; it's good, and the future is not orange!
    How do they view the G650 Xchallenge on rideouts?
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast