Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moto-Morocco Novice Trip Nov'07 - Another Story

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    November 27 Ouazazarte to Marrakech
    Road day, up and over the Col de Tishka, then a descent into Marrakech for the final night in Morocco, and the famous belly dancers. This completed the full set of weather conditions; we did not experience any snow ourselves, but signs of recent falls were apparent everywhere. Time also for some last minute road-side shopping. On the final run into Marrakesh I was definitely feeling like some quantum shift in my riding had happened over the previous 10 days. You never really feel that you have travelled until you return to the start; all the way back to the Hotel Menara. The belly dancers were almost surreal for the way they suddenly started, then finished. In the middle of the meal …

Special thanks must be extended to Neil for lugging our baggage around Morocco and d the long days in his own in the Land Rover. We all sped off on the next day and we did not have time to say a big thank you.
    Thanks also to Mike, always there to catch the stragglers and provide welcome words of encouragement. Last but not least thanks to Bill for putting the trip together and taking our comfort zones to new limits, and tirelessly picking up and delivering our bikes.

Would I do it again? Soon as the bank account recovers. Would I recommend it to anyone else? Only if it did not endanger my chance of getting on the trip!

Morocco struck me as having many parallels with the Spain I used bum around in 20 odd years ago. There are signs of change, Europeanised cities, many new roads being built and a strengthening economy. If you are thinking of going, go now, before it succumbs to the form of Europeanisation that has standardised most of Europe.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    The only thing I am master of is my own destiny, and at best only half of it - the rest is entirely random.

Awesome dude!... (That's Canadian eh?)

I guess I'll have to get something together soon... I keep getting intimidated by what's come before though...

Al...

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead) Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Nice one Martin. I enjoyed that.

Quote Originally Posted by araspitfire View Post
    Awesome dude!... (That's Canadian eh?)

I guess I'll have to get something together soon...

Al...
    Yeah, get on with it Al. We need to know more about Ander's nocturnal activities and you are the only one with the first-hand evidence.

yea but... unlike you and steptoe... We weren't making bedroom multi-media presentations!...

Al...

opinionated, me? Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Nice one! Enjoyed that, thanks.
    Mark
    Just when you've got this rat race licked, here come faster rats!

Quote Originally Posted by CityBum View Post
    Sand which lunch..
    I see you took the southerly track

Looks like you all had a great time
    KEA

Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    I see you took the southerly track...

There was another one ??
    The only thing I am master of is my own destiny, and at best only half of it - the rest is entirely random.

Toubab Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by CityBum View Post
    There was another one ??
    Yup.....Neil took the left fork of two or three options...the more Northerly route along the Zagora end of the valley tends to be more stony and the Southern (that we did) more sandy.

Great report BTW- I haven't heard anything from the Rohan guy yet but ya never know...it'd be fun to see you in their ad!

B
    सत्यमेव जयते

Quote Originally Posted by Fanum View Post
    Yup.....Neil took the left fork of two or three options...the more Northerly route along the Zagora end of the valley tends to be more stony and the Southern (that we did) more sandy.

Great report BTW- I haven't heard anything from the Rohan guy yet but ya never know...it'd be fun to see you in their ad!

B
    Well, I enjoyed our way all the same...I hope we did not put you off running another Novice trip.

I did check the Rohan site (natch), but they are still in Winter mode.

I too am really glad we took the Southerly route there....

I felt my riding advanced to a whole new level on it...

(how to ride with hard knotted shoulders while padding along with feet out and telling yourself to 'loosen up... loosen up...' )

3 hours of adrenaline terror... some people pay a lot of money for that...

Actually for myself... I was glad of every advance we made in the difficulty of our rides... from my point of view, it was almost as if the trip was tailor made for me...

Al...

Great write up .....

Many thanks for the write up, a really good read - sounds like you had a fantastic time and were well looked after in true Moto-Morocco style

New Member (less than 15 Posts)

Exclamation Insurance Query....

Hi Folks

Read your diary with interest, and what stunning pictures you managed to grab along the way...!

Regarding your Green Card insurance for your trip, did you manage to get it at home (UK), or did you buy it at the border?

I'd be interested to know, as I'm having a real game trying to get some sorted before I head of next month.

Cheers

I sorted it through BMW Insurance. Phoning them was useless, I even had one person sayin that of course it was covered 'cos it is Europe - until I pointed out that it was in northern Africa.

Eventually I wrote to them becuase there were varying reports of success, and got a reply to sya they would do it. Pen mightier than the (mouse) cord, perhaps?

You can get cover at the border. It will not be green card extension of your own policy. I'm sure I've seen a sticky on here about insurance, it has always been a hot topic for Morocco. The behaviour of BMW Insurance ( then run by Devitts) from nearly 5 years ago may not be so relevant today....

If you manage to arrange cover from the UK for a trip do post it up on the site for others going that way.

Exclamation Ref Insurance Query...

Hi

Many thanks for the prompt advice. I'll keep trying, and feed back my findings

It wasn't this difficult 10 years ago when I last visited Morocco....!

It seems loads of people are going, but few agents are offering cover. What's going on?

If anyone can advise on "approx" opening times of border agents, and experiences I'd be grateful.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Magwych View Post
    More from the Telhouet Loop
    pretty amazing pics man when i was in morroco or i saw were medinas and agressive beggers (some call the "guides") but if i had a bike that would have made leaving them behind easier. Next time i go your way instead

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12