A Trip

edmac

Reaction score
Hi all,
i have mulling for the last few days as to how to, or even should i make a post like this but here is the reailty.
I was informed last week that my 11 year contract is coming to an end in January so i have a i have a couple of ways of looking at this.
1. Settle down, get a paye job, pay tax, get a wife, etc etc,
2. Flog the lot and go drive me bike somewhere.
The decision is to go with number 2 above, the problem is i cant find another like minded individual to go with me. Reason i need someone is simple, by bike will go in the ditch at some stage and an ADV is too heavy to pull out alone :)

So here it is, anyone intersted in a trip somewhere in around feb march time frame?h
Pan American highway or asia trip are the 2 that spring to mind but by no means are set in stone let alone soft muck?

So basically, is there anyone about who would fancy such an adventure?

ed

#2 and JFDI

If you're worried about the weight, get a lighter bike like a G/S - Lois had great adventures on a Serow, so the bike's not the deciding factor - go forth and travel :thumb

Yes I came weth you. I love Adventure stile life. But I don't have money.
I could by a good company for you. I have a 1150 GSA ready to burst:D

Hmm... the wife let me drive down to Morocco and back...

I wonder.... :bounce1

Al... (who has a fair amount of flexible time... just hasn't collected a paycheque for over 8 years...)

the problem is i cant find another like minded individual to go with me. Reason i need someone is simple, by bike will go in the ditch at some stage and an ADV is too heavy to pull out alone :)

My choice more often than not, has been to ride alone .... get to mix more with the locals that way, and only have to consider myself in any decisions to be taken (course, maybe I'm just plain anti-social :D ).
Depending upon the region you're traveling, don't think you'd have to wait more than an hour or two for an extra pair of arms to help you out! Done it on quite a few occasions, especially in southern Africa and Morocco. Also likely you'll meet up with other bikers on the road .... maybe ride together for a bit?

I'm all set (bar some paperwork and bike prep) for a gentle ride down to Gambia and back early in the new year ..... can't wait! :thumb:thumb:D

PS. No2 option is the only one ...... take your chances as they come. Enjoy.

PPS. A strong length of webbing strap comes in real handy for hooking up to the back of a passing 4 wheeler (other end to your bike) ... they can pull you out of all sorts of stuff! :)

hi peeps,
thanks for the replies and words of wisdom, i think i need to clairfy slightly, the need for company doesnt really have anything to do with pulling the bike out the ditch (mind you will come in handy)
i really dont know how i would feel about a trip like this alone, i have travelled the world over on numerous occasoins but never alone so i tihnk there is the support and comfort factor of having company. it probably more of an issue if i choose to go the south america option vs the asia option because i would assume SA and CA are marginally more dangerous.
but sure we will see how it all pans out, lack of company wont halt my trip i can tell ye that.
anyways gone 10am on sunday mornign and i can hear the bike calling me.
slan
ed

hi peeps,
thanks for the replies and words of wisdom, i think i need to clairfy slightly, the need for company doesnt really have anything to do with pulling the bike out the ditch (mind you will come in handy)
i really dont know how i would feel about a trip like this alone, i have travelled the world over on numerous occasoins but never alone so i tihnk there is the support and comfort factor of having company. it probably more of an issue if i choose to go the south america option vs the asia option because i would assume SA and CA are marginally more dangerous.
but sure we will see how it all pans out, lack of company wont halt my trip i can tell ye that.
anyways gone 10am on sunday mornign and i can hear the bike calling me.
slan
ed

Man I am in Agentina now, after coming all the way from New York, Central and South America are fine, nothing to worry about. Most people are just curious about the bike. 3 main questions are how much does it cost, how fast does it go and how big is the engine. Some places where the biggest bike is a 250 you are like a God.
If it comes to it dont worry about starting with someone else. Sure its nice to have company, but you do meet other bikers on the road. Well at least I have. There will always be shitty times, but some great ones also!! so if in doubt just get up and go!!

Alaska

Ed

I`m off to Alaska next August on my 1100. Across the Northern States to Vancouver and up to the top. Back to friends in LA and down to Baja for a bit of sun and R&R.:Motomartin

I could easily be persuaded to carry on down to South America because that is the ultimate end to that particular trip. Could always do with a bit of company :D

Done a lot in the US and it`s a great place with few issues on your own.

Hi Guys,
thanks for the replies and sorry for the slow reply, was biking around europe for the christmas hols.
but back to the planning now, house went on the market today and finsihing work in the 1st of Feb.
so with a bit of luck will be heading for South America sometime in Feb.

Bilco, it looks like our dates are slightly off but we maybe in the states in or around the same time so stay in touch and we may hook up.

Celtic Adv,
thanks for the advice lad, i have been keepin an eye on your trip and looks class, dare i say insiparational :)
wouldnt mind picking your brain re permits for the bike and what you did about insurance etc.

Hi Edmac,

Best of Luck on your adventure, wouldnt mind havin a chat with you would be interested in doing something similar, Im from Cork also, give us a call 087/9528333..

Emac.

Don't worry about south america, you'll have a great time but do make an effort to at least learn a bit of basic spanish as this helps greatly with hotels and talking to the locals Whatch out for the cops in central america lots of
pulls for "speeding" they havent got radar and are just after money just tell them you havent got any and if it's along way from civilisation offer to go down the bank! (don't do this in towns or they might call your bluff). I was
"nicked" for speeding while sitting in the passenger seat of a r/h drive van!
lots of shouting inspite of me pointing out that I had no steering wheel and got off with a warning!. So thats what your up against.
dave gs. (dont give money to beggers or you'll be pursued by many others).

Back
Top Bottom