National road rally 2008

Using GPS

The whole point for me of doing the rally IS the roads and routes. I really don't see the problem of using a GPS - it is only an adjunct to maps and I spend just as much time with the maps planning the route beforehand. For me, it's the ride - not battling with a map in the wet and dark

I would agree with Paul here - I have spent many years completing rallies using paper maps - for the past few years I have usually printed out A4 maps using Anquet Mapping and typed out instructions stuck to these which I have carried in a tankbag. Like Paul, a large part of the interest and fun of the event for me is working out possible routes beforehand and I do not see using a GPS would change this.
After years of scepticism I have recently started using a Garmin 2610 and I think from a safety point of view it is much better than trying to look at a map in a tankbag.

Further to my previous post about the Iron Butt Rally, realise now that this is the first one of its kind, but have received confirmation of my entry this morning- looks like will be ordering an airhawk seat soon!

GPS

IMO using GPS is cheating. The rallies are navigational scatter rallies - if you're using GPS you're not navigating.

Rick

Insurance for rallies

A side issue to this thread. Actually looked through details of my insurance policy with BMW Motorrad Insurance - noticed that specifically excludes cover for rallies. Since my insurance is nearly due for renewal I tried a few other companies for quotes - Carole Nash phoned me back and while their classic cover does include cover for rallies, their standard insurance for post-82 bikes does not. Does anyone know of an insurance company which includes rallies as part of their cover?

Depends on the nature of the rally. The National Rally should be OK. I haven't made the usual phone call this year yet but I've never had any problem with BMW insurance in the past when I've notified them of the rally.

Now then people :thumb I entered last year for the first time and was realy pissed off when it was cancelled, but got my forms though early this year and entered got my number last week, lets hope its not cancelled again, though they have moved the finish to Bletchley park, Milton keynes, Looking forward to it:clap

Stay lucky ully gully :D

Insurance

On the entry form there is usually the opportunity to insure for the rally for a small fee ie. a rally-specific policy.

GJ

Quite right - it is there this year as well. Be aware it is third party only.

I am sure most people (myself included for many years) have not bothered taking out the extra insurance and as far as I can remember it is only the National Rally which offers it. I have not heard of anyone having difficulties with their insurance company over an accident on a rally but they do happen - a couple of years ago I was not far behind someone who was killed on the Welsh rally when a car ran into the back of him.

I don't get group-hug Iron butt rallies. The basic plan of an iron Butt entry is that you are not limited to when you go so if the weather is shite you can wait a day or 2 .....

That said, I've done a Scottish Coastal saddlesore 1000 twice now (see www.roundthebend.org.uk) and am looking at something equally strange as a diversion this year ... any takers for a SS1000 round Scotland followed by a trip to the Lakes for Wrynose/harknot/kirkstone passes for a 500 mile encore?

I don't get group-hug Iron butt rallies. The basic plan of an iron Butt entry is that you are not limited to when you go so if the weather is shite you can wait a day or 2 .....

That said, I've done a Scottish Coastal saddlesore 1000 twice now (see www.roundthebend.org.uk) and am looking at something equally strange as a diversion this year ... any takers for a SS1000 round Scotland followed by a trip to the Lakes for Wrynose/harknot/kirkstone passes for a 500 mile encore?

What's there not to get? Doing any long distance ride involves testing your bike, your bike skills and yourself. against your own capabilities, the weather conditions etc. Doing a long distance rally is no different except more testing because it does involve some element of competition and you cannot necessarily predict the weather. Obviously not for fair weather bikers :augie

Route around Scotland looks good - wonder if could combine it in the summer with the Scottsh Rally?

The road rally scatter things make perfect sense, although I don't go for teh competition bit meself. It's the IronButt Rallies that seem odd to me. IronButt challenges are non-competitive and essentially single entry events and in fact trying one with more than 2 or 3 bikes is a recipe for disaster!

The Round the Bend Challenge is a cracking route but given a choice I would do the Glasgow - Thurso route there and back (assuming you're not going for the 1000/24) because the scenery is just incredible.

Last night a pal suggested JOG LE JOG ....... in 2 days!

Last edited:
Am aiming to complete an SS1000 around England before the rally as practice - did 500 miles last Saturday so some time over half term will follow route Birmingham - Exeter - Brighton - Newcastle - Carlisle - Birmingham to 'get one in'!

Got my form yesterday but I won't be doing it this year even though it's the 75th. I was hacked off with them this year when it was cancelled due to lack of interest as I usually do the Three Nations Challenge which involves completing the Welsh, English and Scottish rallies. As has been said the Welsh is the best closely followed by the Scottish. All are good fun and an excellent way to spend a weekend on the bike.

Cheers
Dave

Change of plan. The rally in Belgium planned for the same weekend has been cancelled so I'll be doing the National Rally.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom