Washing BMW Rallye 2 Pro suit!!!!!!!!!!

Tilly

Reaction score
Can anyone please inform me the CORRECT way to clean and waterproof this suit?
I've had it for 8 months and only washed and waterproofed it in Nikwax Tech Wash and TX.Direct wash-in.
The suede on the trousers has disintegrated and looks as if it's been eaten by giant moths!
I've emailed Nikwax who say their products are non-biological and will not affect the suede in anyway.
Are they bullshitting me?
Has anyone else had the same problems?

Did you clean the washing machine of all the other washing detergents before washing your gear with nikwax?

A few empty wash cycles should clean the washing machine then lob your gear in with the nikwax.

someone with more knowledge than meself will be along with some sage words of wisdom......

Have washed mine a couple of time now, using the same Nikwax stuff.

The suede panels on the troosers are now defo. looking old but in no way have they fallen apart or look as if they are about to.

Either it's an issue with the troosers themselves (warranty if only 8 months old :nenau) or you may have used too high a temp wash cycle - that could dry out the suede and cause to to crack and flake.

The only reason you must have no detergent in the washing machine is to ensure that the water proofing solution can 'take' properly and do it's job - I can't see how it would cause the suede to degrade in the way described.

Andres

I wash mine the same and have no problems. Not what you wanted to hear I know...Intersting point about residue powders in the machine, we normally use non-Bio soap for normal washes so no chance of that for me; do you normally use one of these clean-anything-at-no-temperatures-watch-it-glow-in-the-dark modern cleaners? There could be some residual cleaner in the mchine?

Also, how did you dry it? The suede must be left to dry naturally, without any warming to rush it along, that means the rest of the trousers too. If you try and speed along the drying process (you did not tumble dry it , did you?) it can damage the suede.

Machine washed out - no other detergents left on board.
The trousers have been hung up and dried naturally - no tumble drier, nowhere near a radiator.
In eight months they have probably been washed about 10 - 12 times.
I hope no one else suffers.

Some what enthusiastic cleaning me thinks, my Savannah gets washed once a year unless absolutely filthy, and its still going strong after 5 years.

Some what enthusiastic cleaning me thinks, my Savannah gets washed once a year unless absolutely filthy, and its still going strong after 5 years.

Ditto, washed once after getting back from Istanbul and only one other time after some VERY muddy green laning. 30,000 miles old and still going strong.

Andres

I don't understand why you are proofing the Rallye suit, it is not meant to be waterproof. Thet is what the goretex is for and the outer suit is just washed in cold water with any mild soap. If you "proof" the outer you will stop the goretex breathing.
Washed several if not many times, comes up like new.
Bin

It's washed that often because I work for BMW Rider Training in South Wales and to turn up with a shitty looking suit just ain't on.
The outer suit is waterproofed to stop water coming through it during the summer. There is no Gortex in the outer, it's the inner lining that has the Gortex, so it won't be affected by waterproofing.
You tried working all day when it's pissing down in Wales with the lining still in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lads, if you want the outer to be waterproof, I think you bought the wrong gear.

It sounds to me like you've got a dodgy pair of trousers.

My rally 2 suit is washed thus:-

Jacket/trouser outers are washed in a non-bio detergent.
gortex liners washed in nikwax soap/proofer.

I've given up trying to keep the outer waterproof as its clearly not designed as such, so save my money on keeping the liners in good condition instead.

That said, i've still not had any issues with the suede.

There are so many zips and vents on the rallye suits, there is no way the outer bit is going to be water tight. Its good as an all round suit, but crap for constant wet weather use. :rob

Hot wash might feck the suede ?? Mine get washed about 4 times a year and are like new, 50,000kms, mostly dry

Thanks, but obviously nobody has a clue!
I'll ask elsewhere.

I think everybody here has given you very pertinant and spot on advice.

If you work for MBW get them to sort you.

Don't slam the door on your way out..................

Andres

Thanks to everybody for the words of wisdom.
The trousers are being returned to BMW under warranty. They have been washed in a cool wash and in a way being described by those who replied to this thread.
We'll see what happens to the next pair.
Thanks again.:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom