640 adventure

:clap
P1020333-XL.jpg

Now THAT is a picture and a half Timolgra!!!!! :clap:clap:clap

Great thread revival on my favourite bike of all time:)
Even the girls like them...must be the vibes man:D
Hey Tim, you should put that photo up for front page status on ADV. Baldy is a sucker for nice shots.

just a bit of advice

My XTZ has given up the ghost so now looking at the KTM Adventure. I have been offered a 04 with 20K what sort of price should I expect to pay as the bloke said for me to make him an offer and with that sort of mileage what sort of things should I be looking out for when I look it over.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cant stop drooling over the pictures (of the bikes)

My XTZ has given up the ghost so now looking at the KTM Adventure. I have been offered a 04 with 20K what sort of price should I expect to pay as the bloke said for me to make him an offer and with that sort of mileage what sort of things should I be looking out for when I look it over.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cant stop drooling over the pictures (of the bikes)

It depends....which isn't much help I know but it depends on condition, how it's been maintained, what modifications have been done etc. just like any bike.

Have you ridden one? Some say they vibrate, I like to think of it as being alive.:toungincheek

At 20k miles it should be good for another 60K + without major attention but:

Make sure the starter sounds good, as it could be the sprag clutch or auto decompressor on it's way out.
Engine's don't rattle at all if they're in good order, if it does, the inlet cam follower may be in trouble.
Rear suspension linkage takes a hammering offroad, and the swing arm bearings through the frame will be goosed if they've not been done.

Get one really sorted and there's no finer mid weight real bike:beerjug:

Some brilliant threads on ADVrider specifically on the 640 LC4 here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958

cheers for the link it has been most helpful, but by the same way it has completely blown my brain with links to links then a shed load more on top of that. As to the bike I am guessing it has not been serviced looked after or ridden much over the last year or so. No doubt when I make the bold move of looking it over not that I really know what I doing and making that purchase I will put a few pics up here. It might even get a mention in my next trip to Turkey in 4 weeks. No pressure to get it done and fixed up. Same story every year.

A couple of moths ago on the Trans America Trail
P1040363-XL.jpg

P1040532-XL.jpg

And today, back into Welsh trail riding mode ready for the HAF this Sat and Sun.
God, I love this bike:love
P1050058-XL.jpg

640/690 compare and contrast.....
I was tempted by your new acquisition, looks a very well sorted bike.

640/690 compare and contrast.....
I was tempted by your new acquisition, looks a very well sorted bike.

I suppose I'm doing much of that in my mind right now, but not having lived with the 690 on a long trip yet it's still unclear.

Also both my bike's are yes, very well sorted but both aren't standard so any comparison I make may not hold true for stock bikes.

When KTM dropped the 640 Adv there was much excitement at the prospect of a new 690 Adv ...but it didn't happen!:blast possibly because it would be too expensive.

I never particularly liked the Rally Raid Evo 1, but this Evo 2 seems to be about right and with the additional changes Rick made to suspension, engine etc. the end product (if there ever is an end) is much more than the Adv that KTM couldn't produce.
P1050037%20-%20Copy%20copy-XL.jpg

The 690 is smoother, faster, lighter ...BUT... it has fuel injection, my 640 has an FCR 41 carb jetted perfectly and I love the way it almost responds to what I'm thinking, whereas with the 690 I need to think about the throttle more.....if that makes sense.

Both stunning bikes, with the 640 I have history, it has soul;) I've been through it inside out preparing for trips, it's been reliable, kept me safe, I've always had great fun and love it..........

......the 690 I will have to make mine, for it's part, it'll need to earn that respect too and when it does, who knows what to do!:eek:

Problem is when you have to choose, like here....which would be most fun...mother or daughter?:D
P1040430-XL.jpg

Here's mine next to Ferret's old 690 (I say 'old' because he sold it at the end of the TAT in preference for a bike he liked the most),
so if I had to choose between these two, the 690 wouldn't even get a look in:beerjug:
P1040521-XL.jpg

Neither have your 2 GS's or XCo so I'd call it a consideration, not a serious drawback:beerjug:

Yeah.........but I don't stray off tarmac with those and into the wilderness, the RAC are a mere phone call away - if it goes completely pear shaped and I can't fix it

I wouldn't want to be stuck in a Welsh bog, miles from anywhere (possibly on a Husaberg:D) and have the battery go flat.............it's a long push:blast

Husaberg. Race bike, small battery, (mine has a kick start, new one's don't).
IMGP0338-M.jpg

KTM 690. Not a race bike, bigger battery.

DR650. Not a race bike!, bigger battery. Not stuck:eek
dr%20bog.jpg

KTM 640. kick start is reassuring after having to lay the bike down when a branch got jammed into the rad:mad:
IMGP0069-L.jpg

Saying that, I've probably experienced the advantages of having a kick start on a bikes with flat batteries more than most:blast

btw. they've done away with starting handles on cars too:D

The 690 is smoother, faster, lighter ...BUT... it has fuel injection, my 640 has an FCR 41 carb jetted perfectly and I love the way it almost responds to what I'm thinking, whereas with the 690 I need to think about the throttle more.....if that makes sense.

What I meant here was the 690 feels a little snatchy just as you bring the throttle in on tricky sections, (it already has the G2 throttle) in 'soft mode' or riding it harder it's brilliant and I'll get used to that.

I've been playing on a CBR6 with injection, made some right messes exiting corners as the power lagged then kicked in, after a couple of days shaking my head and cursing I learned that keeping the revs up was the way forward (smoothly).
How that would work off road in the nadgery bits, I don't know.

How does your 640 compare to the 650Dakar bike

Put it this way, last time I went to Morocco I had both bikes and took the 640....
Why?
Because this 640 is far better in every respect :eek and my 690 is in a totally different league to the 650 Dakar Rallye bike. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom