Black Forest.....

JDH

Reaction score
Planning a visit to the Black Forest (Titisee Neustadt) in mid to late May and then down to see the Millau Viaduct. I appreciate the weather is always a bit of a lottery, but could anyone give me an idea of average weather conditions in those two areas for that time of year?

JDH

Spent a couple of days in the Black Forest in May a few years ago. While we were there it was pleasantly warm during the day. The roads were all clear, although on the highest roads there was still fairly deep snow elsewhere and it was not the place for summer gloves.

We camped for a night near Freudenstadt. At eight in the evening as we walked to the restaurant, it was a little fresh. Walking back to the tents around 11:00 it was properly chilly. Woke up at 3 am and it was absolutely bloody freezing! Struggled to get back to sleep as it got colder and colder, and got up around 5.30 just to stomp around abit. Ice on the tent - not just a light covering of frost, but proper ice. My friend emerged from his tent wearing all his clothes, including leathers, helmet and gloves, and said he was still too cold to sleep in his sleeping bag.

As soon as the sun climbed over the mountains around 7:00, it was instantly warm again.

The Black Forest has some great roads - in fact, pretty much all of them are great - and scenery. There are some serious mountain passes, some big and sweepy, others small and technical, but all good fun. You'll love it, as long as you're not a poorly-prepared camper. Titisee is a bit of a tourist trap, full of coach trips on the day we visited. There are many other nicer places around, just don't ask me to name them!

(Haven't been to Millau in May, but I imagine it will be significantly warmer and sunnier that the UK.)

Planning a visit to the Black Forest (Titisee Neustadt) in mid to late May and then down to see the Millau Viaduct. I appreciate the weather is always a bit of a lottery, but could anyone give me an idea of average weather conditions in those two areas for that time of year?

JDH

Small Group of us went to the Milau bridge end of June last year. P1ssed it down every day - either in the morning or the afternoon. French weather forecasters were good at predicting when it was coming through though.

We were fortunate in that, having listened to the forecasts, our day trip to the bridge was wonderful in the morning but by early afternoon the clouds came over and the last 80 miles back to the hotel was in pouring rain.

I'd say expect sunshine and showers and pack accordingly......

Milau Bridge is awesome :thumb

Attachments

• Millau Bridge 069 (22).JPG
    Millau Bridge 069 (22).JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 463
We camped for a night near Freudenstadt. At eight in the evening as we walked to the restaurant, it was a little fresh. Walking back to the tents around 11:00 it was properly chilly. Woke up at 3 am and it was absolutely bloody freezing! Struggled to get back to sleep as it got colder and colder, and got up around 5.30 just to stomp around abit. Ice on the tent - not just a light covering of frost, but proper ice. My friend emerged from his tent wearing all his clothes, including leathers, helmet and gloves, and said he was still too cold to sleep in his sleeping bag.

Just read this....still giggling too. Class. :aidan

Back
Top Bottom