Pannier Corrosion

Talking of the BMW GSA aluminium panniers........................

Can anyone get the little rubber lock cover thingy to actually go into the hole in the locks?

Buggered if I can :(

yes... but I think the luggs are the wrong shapes all three of mine are different shapes but I can, with effort get them all to sit in place

Well you are entitled to your opinion of course but I'm sure you can see that the exact same argument could be used against a 6 month old car that corroded badly.

To quote you

'What's the purpose of a car ? It's there to transport passengers and items.
Does the corrosion and loss of finish make it unfit for this? Errrr.... No.

Sure, they look pretty when brand new but they're not sold on their looks.'

Do you really believe that would constitute a defence?

You've not really thought this through have you?? :rolleyes:

One of the selling points that a motor manufacturer quite often makes is on corrosion resistance and they may well give you a guarantee with the product. You wouldn't be able to sue them for the fit for purpose but you could have them on their warranty (assuming you're not caught out by the small print).

As for corroding badly in 6mths... You still wouldn't get them on the fit for purpose.

M

Seriously has anyone any idea how much it'd be to have these etch primed, galvanised and then powder coated? Or know of anyone that would do them. The plastic bits do come off and could be riveted back on.

Just checked out the metal mules looking at over a grand, Touratech (same bare ali problem) over £800. Think the BMW ones are about £500 so if you could get them coated for under £200 its more cost effective than the others

My local powder coaters would probably do them (etch primed too...) for approx £100.

I've just had a load of stuff done for my Landys (loads more than just 3x panniers) and that was approx £150. Though you have to remember that for small batches, you'll be paying quite a bit for the setup costs.

M

You've not really thought this through have you?? :rolleyes:

One of the selling points that a motor manufacturer quite often makes is on corrosion resistance and they may well give you a guarantee with the product. You wouldn't be able to sue them for the fit for purpose but you could have them on their warranty (assuming you're not caught out by the small print).

As for corroding badly in 6mths... You still wouldn't get them on the fit for purpose.

M

Your interpretation of 'fit for purpose' is much too narrow IMHO.

To state, as you did
'What's the purpose of a pannier (be it plastic or alloy)? It's there to carry things.
Does the corrosion and loss of finish make it unfit for carrying things? Errrr.... No.' is, I am sure you will agree if you think things through a liitle more, ;)clearly an oversimplification. The primary purpose is, of course, exactly as you state. But to argue that finish and appearance have no bearing is, in my view, a nonsence.

I've got the full set of luggage on mine. Yes the ali is looking furry after only a few days on the bike, but I can't say it bothers me. I'm certainly not going to keep polishing them. Probably let the oxide layer build up and only polish it off when it comes to sell.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yesterday Bahnstormer told me that they had never heard of their panniers corroding and that this was new to them. Today I am told that they all corrode and that I should have used some kind of protective coating such as ACF50!

I would have protected them if I had known that it was necessary but they don’t even come with aftercare instructions? Why didn't someone at Bahnstormer warn me? Even cashiers in a shoe shops would know to recommend the appropriate cleaner/polish for what they sell. Its cross selling and good customer service.

It’s easy to say I should have know, but why should I? I have ridden sports bikes for ten years and regular washing and garaging has always kept them free from rust. My GS still looks great so there is an issue here with the materials used for the panniers and the way in which they are finished.

I know that aluminium corrodes over time but what I am talking about is excessive corrosion. one week is unacceptable! If this happens to all of the BMW panniers then BMW have used the wrong materials for the job! I notice that they have no problem in replacing parts of the bike when it corrodes prematurely so why not the luggage. BMW/Touratech would soon get the finish right if they did!

According to Bahnstormer BMW have never replaced panniers under warranty due to excessive corrosion. This contradicts threads that I have read on here. Do you know anyone who has recieved replacement luggage under warranty for this reason?

Bahnstormer have told me that they will try to polish them but that is all they can do. I will see how they turn out but when I tried to polish them they ended up like rusty old mirrors.

:spitfire:spitfire:spitfire:spitfire:spitfire:spitfire:spitfire:spitfire:spitfir

My panniers corroded quite badly, but also started to leak. I had them replaced by Bahnstormer under warranty, then sold them whilst they were still new and gleaming, and invested in powder-coated Metal Mule panniers.

Tim

"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966) e

:nenau:nenau:nenau:nenau:nenau:nenau:nenau:nenau:nenau:nenau:nenau
Panniers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PEDRO says

I went for a warranty claim on mt ones. It was turned down. I thereafter took proceedings to sue the dealer under the sale of goods act, stating that the panniers were unfit for purpose, demanding a full refund / replacement. I also sent about 10 emails to BMW customer service. After about 2 months I got an email from BM telling me that they would replace them as a 'goodwill' gesture, following talks with the dealer. Make yourself as much of a pain in the arse as you can and they may show you some similar goodwill, just to shut you up.

:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

right then question to the above tossers

which one of the above is telling lies to us tossers: augie:augie:augie

Well you are entitled to your opinion of course but I'm sure you can see that the exact same argument could be used against a 6 month old car that corroded badly.

Too young to remember the Lancias of the 70s??

To quote you

'What's the purpose of a car ? It's there to transport passengers and items.
Does the corrosion and loss of finish make it unfit for this? Errrr.... No.

Sure, they look pretty when brand new but they're not sold on their looks.'

If you look at the sales literature for any car these days, they will probably be talking about corrosion resistance and typically offer some sort of warranty. At that point, the corrosion resistance becomes contractual... Then it comes down to the small print.

Do you really believe that would constitute a defence?

Yes. If the car was being sold without a corrosion warranty then that defense would be fine. Where in the sales literature does it say that the panniers are corrosion resistant and that BMW will guarantee the finish???

M

My panniers corroded quite badly, but also started to leak. I had them replaced by Bahnstormer under warranty, then sold them whilst they were still new and gleaming, and invested in powder-coated Metal Mule panniers.

That's the the important bit... It became more than just the finish, the product actually started to fail / fall apart.

M

seal

That's the the important bit... It became more than just the finish, the product actually started to fail / fall apart.

M

oh you must be refferring to the leaking seal problem

unless you know different

Too young to remember the Lancias of the 70s??
M

At 54 years of age I don't think so some how.

If you look at the sales literature for any car these days, they will probably be talking about corrosion resistance and typically offer some sort of warranty. At that point, the corrosion resistance becomes contractual... Then it comes down to the small print.
M

Irrelevant. Whether this is offered or not a car which corroded badly in a shot period of time would be 'unfit for purpose'.

Yes. If the car was being sold without a corrosion warranty then that defense would be fine. Where in the sales literature does it say that the panniers are corrosion resistant and that BMW will guarantee the finish???
M

Complete crap.

?

what question
i just like playing with those things on the side
:beerjug::thedummy:handbag:handbag:eek:onyack:rob:blast:):aidan:augie:(;):D:eek::clap:bow:beer::ymca:bounce1:beer::eek:thumb:eek::cool::D:rolleyes:;):nenau

Bolt one of these to each pannier and your front engine cover and all your worries will be over:thumb

Attachments

• 20241322.jpg
    20241322.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 168

Back
Top Bottom