Things I now know about the Zumo.....

Advanced warnings of turns are SPORADIC/ERRATIC/HECTIC on Zumo.
My trusty ole Quest lets you know what's coming to the point of being a pest. Almost.. :)

can i ..

easily import a route that is e-mailed to me?
does it have to be in a certain format..

I had a route 'mailed to me before and when i went out to travel the route, i followed the zumo's instructions but i KNOW it took me the around the route but used different roads to do it!!

easily import a route that is e-mailed to me?
does it have to be in a certain format..

If it's a track you've been mailed then you'll have to import that track into Mapsource and convert it to a route. There's a specific menu option for that, shouldn't take you long to find.

If you've been mailed a route (or have just converted your track as above) then once imported into Mapsource you should be able to edit the route by dragging it around with the route tool to fit the roads you want to take. Once you transfer these to your Zumo it will follow the roads that you've specified on the PC using Mapsource, regardless of the Zumo's local routing preferences.

Tip: if planning a return trip in Mapsource I usually put the start and destination in as waypoints and then let Mapsource create a route between the points, adjusting it to fit the roads I want to take once it's been calculated. You can specify the type of roads to use in the planning preferences and then get Mapsource to recalculate the route, and since you can also copy routes I tend to make a backup route but use a different set of planning preferences to recalculate just that route. This way I've got Plan A in the form of my original ride, and Plan B if I want to cut out some of the smaller stuff in case time gets short. (If time's really short you can always do the routing ad-hoc on the Zumo and calculate the outright quickest)

I find it's nice of the Zumo to let you pick up a route and start heading in the right direction without having to visit the start of that route as soon as you load it. My Tomtom would make me navigate back to the start unless I'd manually deleted all the visited (in real life, anyway) waypoints just after loading the route.

Ho-hum ...

Mup.

'Designed for motorcyclists to use with gloves on.'
My 'bottom bracket' it was.
The screen buttons are too near the edge, too small to hit when on the move, main buttons need a fairly robust shove/rugged push to activate. (And can't be found in the dark....)

And.... who needs constant prompting/prodding of speed traps (when not on main screen.)
Treated like an idiot by a machine... :spitfire Who needs that then?

Still. I'd not like to be without the cursed thing now though... :eek:

If you are operating in 2 dimensional mode your Zumo requires only 3 satellites to locate you properly. If you are in 3 dimensional mode your Zumo requires I believe a few additional satellites to locate you properly. So...... if satellite reception is dodgy consider using the 2 dimensional map mode.

[*]These collections of custom POI’s appear in the Extras menu.
I have loaded waypoints onto the sd card and then under extras my garmin says "no extras loaded please visit garmin.com/extras

[*]If you send the collections using Mapsource and not POI Loader they end up filling the Favourites menu up, not a good idea.
Done OK

[*]Waypoints you create using Mapsource and send from Mapsource end up in the Favourites menu on the Zumo.
Done OK

I cannot seem to access waypoints loaded on sd card.
I have loaded BMW dealers in austria and then with the garmin map located on innsbruck locale, I cannot see the waypoint for the local dealer!!!
Which menu do you access them thru?

Stupid question

All my old routes in .gdb format need re-saving as .gpx format before they can be sent to the Zumo

I have such a file (.gdb) how do I open it to re-save as .gpx?????????

I have such a file (.gdb) how do I open it to re-save as .gpx?????????

Open in Mapsource and use File > Save As specifying the format to save in as GPX. Simples.

If your files are in an earlier version of the GDB format, V2 instead of the current V3, then you can even use ITN Converter to do the work.

Open in Mapsource and use File > Save As specifying the format to save in as GPX. Simples.

If your files are in an earlier version of the GDB format, V2 instead of the current V3, then you can even use ITN Converter to do the work.

Cheers Bumpkin. Sometimes it the "simple" things in life that seem to take up most of my time.

More stupid questions

You need to load all your custom POI collections from a folder you create on your PC every time you want to add new ones. Otherwise the old ones are overwritten.

Be patient- its been a long day

Is there a way of making/adding/copying some sort of file system into the extras/ poi on the garmin. So for instance you could have one file of campsites and maybe another of pubs.

Is there a way of making/adding/copying some sort of file system into the extras/ poi on the garmin. So for instance you could have one file of campsites and maybe another of pubs.

For my lowly StreetPilot 2720 I have created folders within my upload repository folder (this is what I point POI Loader at when updating), these are the likes of 'Accommodation', 'Car & Bike', 'Food' etc... within these are relavent POI sets. When searching on the GPS these are presented as categories to choose from with additional option of 'All Categories' which contains everything. I would assume that the Zumo does the same.

HTH

Top Tips:
1. Backup your Zumo system files - You may accidentally delete a key file at some point (particularly if you try some of the following tips!) To do this: Connect your Zumo to your PC via USB cable. Using explorer, go to the first connected drive, labelled GARMIN. Here, you'll find a folder called Garmin, which is approximately 2GB. Copy the entire contents of the folder to somewhere safe. (I burnt mine onto DVD). Now, if you ever accidentally delete a key file, or have problems with the device crashing, you can do a comparison, and restore a missing file etc.

How long did this take you?

I took delivery of my 550 this morning & it looks like it's going to take about an hour to copy. Is this right?

:nenau

annoying bongs

Has anyone figured out how to switch of the audible bongs as you go through what it thinks is a speed camera area (specially temp ones which are long gone) without switching off the sound altogether. Mine is going in a skip if it doesn't stop soon!

It's possible to save a silent zero length MP3 to replace the bong. Register for and have a search on Zumoforums and you should find the info.

Has anyone figured out how to switch of the audible bongs as you go through what it thinks is a speed camera area (specially temp ones which are long gone) without switching off the sound altogether. Mine is going in a skip if it doesn't stop soon!

On a similar theme, can anyone tell me why I don't get any bongs? I've also downloaded voice warnings, but all I get is the visual icon.

Advice from another forum, whence I did the downloads, was that if I'm not exceeding the limit, no warnings are given.????

To get to some useful info / diagnostics screens, turn on the zumo, then wait until the main screen appears, then press & hold the clock display on the main screen (top RH corner) for about 10 seconds. Loads of useful stuff such as battery status, external charge voltage etc. :)

Little bit of info

Hi folks, Just thought I'd share a bit of info as it might help someone out! After doing map up dates last year and cocking it up then sorting it all (wrong) got to france last week sat nav all to cock most of the detail missing only showing major roads most of the time it looks like I'm riding in a field??

So to cut a long story short, went for the reset factory setting, Hey presto sat nav back to normal may not be up to date but working fine. Got me out of a fix!!!

Barry G

Back
Top Bottom