BIKELUG Trailer

Bert

Reaction score
Bikelug
A brilliantly executed trailer- Quality build and reliable.
I carried this to Africa on my last mission and it bailed John out twice- once due to illness and another due to a oil pressure problem on his bike.
My bikelug was assembled in no time at all and we did not get struck.

If you have a 4x4 with a higher tow ball, you need let Bikelug know and they will make you a different one in order to keep the trailer level. 11" wheel option is better as tubeless and we can use our Tyre Plugger on them if needed.

Excellent product, great company- I can heartily recommend them:thumb2

In your opinion... would this trailer be suitable for lugging a 1200gs(a?) around Europe for when I go on vacation with SWIMBO (who will not ride on the bike :clap:clap)

This means normal motorway travel and parking-lot speedbumps..

There are a couple of Dutch companies that make folding trailers (meant for compact storage, not carrying...) they seem pretty suitable for heavy use... And though I watched Fanum and MikeP unload Mike's 1150 from one, I didn't really get a feel for how good it would be for extended (3000 mile) use on holliday...

Al...

In your opinion... would this trailer be suitable for lugging a 1200gs(a?) around Europe for when I go on vacation with SWIMBO (who will not ride on the bike :clap:clap)

There are a couple of Dutch companies that make folding trailers (meant for compact storage, not carrying...) they seem pretty suitable for heavy use... And though I watched Fanum and MikeP unload Mike's 1150 from one, I didn't really get a feel for how good it would be for extended (3000 mile) use on holliday...

Al...

Al..yes, but I'd make a few mods.

Bikelug doesn't come with a breakaway cable- it doesn't need to 'cos it isn't braked, but for long journeys I'd like the peace of mind of having one 'just in case'

I'd also look for (or ask Bikelug for) a longer beam- although it's pretty stable even at speed, I've had one wheel off the road before when taking avoiding action and a longer axle beam would help.

It's also very light, so it's flighty over bumps and ramps etc.

There are some obvious engineering changes you could make- the pins that lock it together are stainless steel and the ramps etc mild steel, so over a long period on mine the pins have started wearing the holes into ovals- if you were planning to use it long term, it would be sensible to sort that out.

Lastly and most definitely, change whatever ratchet straps you get so they are continuous loops using carabiners......a GS will bounce on its suspension plenty enough to drop a hook out of the anchor points, but crabs will stop the bike from ever doing that.

Bert- 'proper' 4x4's have Dixon Bates units on the back mate so you wouldn't have needed any extras to lower it ;) :thumb

IMHO

Al...

Yes, I have my 1200 loaded on it- and drove it up to 70mph on motorways- I also towed a F650 through France- no worries-Of course, they are not designed for super high speed and/or silly driving! any trailer has its limitations!! You have to take corners carefully and watch out for bumps! The heavier and longer the trailer the more stable it should be-
The Bikelug has been primarily designed with the ability to fold up in a small area thereby enabling you to park your vehicle, dismantle the trailer and lock up in the car and go for a ride!

The only 'downside' is to remember that it uses pins so extra security is needed to lock the trailer to the car/4x4- I use Cobra adjustable cables.

Break-away cable- Mine came with one- but I have replaced it with a heavier duty one as a modification.

The standard setup is for cars with a tow ball- A 4x4 's tow ball will be higher hence the need for a modified hitch with Bikelug do and have made for me.

As to what constitutes a 'proper' 4x4 .......... a rather subjective subject!
My Toyota always seems to find landy's needing recovery :augie :D

Bill, have you been on the 'shroom' or the C<SUB>n</SUB>H<SUB>2n+1</SUB>OH again:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom