Touratech Stools - a warning

DavidHolmes

Reaction score
Sitting on a Touratech stool 200 miles north of the Artic circle, and it collapsed. One arm broke off and ended up in my backside. A close examination of the bruise suggested that 3 inches to the left and I would have had a very interesting experience.

Careful examination of the stool revealed a pin on one of the arms of the stool had worked loose, and the pressure applied had caused the plastic to fail.

A quick check of Emmas stool revealed that a pin on that one had also worked loose. I hammered it back in. Something I had to do again after every time I used it. Emma refused to sit on it again.(We just couldn't spare the time to travel to a town in the hope of finding replacements).
Two other pins (on the legs) also worked themselves lose.

Both stools had been used (as best as I can calculate) seven times in a period of 3 weeks. Both stools were bought specially for the trip a couple of weeks before we went.

I weigh less than 102 kilos fully kitted, (the recommended limit is 110kg) - anyone who would like to suggest that Emma weighs more ought to be aware that her mother and two of her sisters are lawyers ;)

If you own a Touratech stool, I suggest you have a very close look at all the little metal pins and check that they are all flush with the black plastic.

Seriously folks, I very nearly ended up very seriously hurt in the middle of nowhere, and I would hate someone else to actually get hurt.

Some confusion here . . . first you say someone's arm (your own?) ended up in your backside ???
Second, you have something three inches to the left of your backside that is more interesting !!! What strange anatomy you have!
Later you claim you were very nearly seriously hurt in the middle of nowhere . . . I thought it was your backside?

:hapybnce:

Excellent

I'll mention at the Bracken evening that Touratech sh1ts.
Or maybe, just maybe I'll read your post again.

Now it goes like this you sat down and Touratech produced a stool. Nope I still don't get it :)
:D :D :D :D :D

No no, he was examining Emma's stools. They had brought some along for the trip . . . must be dried to use as firelighters or something.
Dave has got pins in his legs poor guy. Probably from some earlier accident. But anyway he's removed them and flushed them all along with the black plastic.

:goof

Dried ? I don't think so - he is 200 miles north of the Artic Circle. They will just freeze on exposure how on earth do you dehydrate them before they freeze ? I have heard of taking gadgets on a tour with the GS but that is just silly if a freeze dried gadget is required. And all he wanted to do was admire the view.

This is all becoming very complicated.

On the other hand maybe he is north of a lorry depot down a dead end hence the need to turn those Artics in his turning circle ? Why measure 200 miles North ?

Last edited:
I'm wondering who it is that recommended he must weigh 110kilos . . . his doctor? It's great that he's under his recommended weight. No need to diet.
He needs to speak to his Doctor about the third party, the one who actually did get hurt. Wasn't he saying he's worried in case someone ELSE gets hurt. Who got hurt?
Come to think of it. Maybe we've both got it wrong. Was it the circle on the articulated lorry that collapsed? Must be like a black hole or is that where he put his arm (the one that had come off)?

Give us a clue Dave was it a:-

1:
toad.jpg
2:
ttturd.gif
3:
ttseat.jpg

Paul - the answer is 3

Simon, I used to live in Bedford, but I am all better now.

As to Bracken, I sent John Hill a little e-mail as I lay in my tent (I was unable to sit). Strangely enough he did not reply. However, the day before I left he was kind enough to persuade me to buy a bright orange Touratech/Otlieb Dry Bag toilet roll holder (complete with toilet roll), so maybe he knew I would be sitting on shit (or is that stool). Or in it. Or something.

I shall see him tomorrow, so I may or may not be able to come to the GPS evening :)

We got home yesterday, and right now, it is nice to be back :)

David.....

.... is this a picture of you?

Attachments

• iran_trip_dodgy.jpg
    iran_trip_dodgy.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 254
Hedgehog . . . you've really gone too far this time.
Anyway, can't be David, there's no arm and no stools.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks

David,

I was looking at the Touratech seat recently for our trip next year.

Having looked at the seat in Bracken I can see exactly what you mean, the design perhaps could be rethought.

Anyway thanks for the heads up.

Cheers
Simon T:beerjug:

Hi David,
Many thanks for the warning, it seems mine has also been fitted with the same unwelcome optional extra and shall return to Bracken.

Chris

PS don't know what you did to motivate the board, or is it bored, assault on your persona but I look forward to your witty retort.

Chris:
David didn't do anything . . . it's just one of those things. Two bored board surfers took an opportunity to try to gain some amusement, none of it intended as a criticism of David whose posting has obviously proven very useful for at least two people so far (but apologies if it seemed that way).
But don't expect a witty response, just insult and a veiled attempt at a put-down. You'll find it elsewhere if you're interested.
:bomb :bomb :bomb

It wazney me, ha

Simon Eassom said:
Chris:
David didn't do anything . . . it's just one of those things.

¦kidding mode¦
:D :D LOL LOL :D :D One of those things, excellent. Did I hear a "It wazney me". Well you would if you came from my home town. C'mon Simon you are sick - face it. OOPS the veil slipped. :) I think you should buy us all a pint.

Paul G - you really have done some serious research and with pictures also, superb. In fact RESPECT. :cool:

If only we all could be so sensible and to the point. ;)

BTW : It wazney me either, nor was this post someone is just using my PC, wait till I get my hands on 'em.
¦/kidding mode¦

Seriously, anyone going to Sarratt ? I'll buy the 1st.

Malky:
Yup, I'll be there and I'm sure (certainly hope) Big Chris is coming. Chris . . . you appear to know David. Persuade him to come as well. He resists divulging his location but it's certainly not Bedford nor any such similar bland and uninspiring place to live. I want to discuss my adventuring CV with him because he obviously feels I don't get out much.
Let's all by each lots of drinks (sadly, mine's Diet Coke or OJ if I'm riding).
Simon E.
PS Much as I hate that kind of depraved humour myself, I have sent numerous Simpson-loving friends Hedgehog's "bartbelly" picture.

Malky, If I ask you for a beer on Monday I dont want you to reply
"IT WAZNEY ME"

Coz it was.

Enjoyed the banter between you and simon on this thread, its a shame some people lack a GSOH

FAO Mr Eassom

dunno why you think I am resisting requests for my location - unless you cant click on the members section. And haven't read the South/Essex sections over the last year.

Cant understand you at all actually, unless you have only joined this group in the last couple of months and are suffering from the Wessie syndrome. (All fast hard man for a day)

Dont know what gives you the arogance to say that you know who my friends are or are not. (Hello Mr Big C whoever you are)

And where oh where did I show any interest in your CV? Travelling or otherwise.

Cant really understand who or what you are really, so, BMW Main Dealer permiting, I shall look forward to the Sarrat thingy, so that I can meet you face to face, and can express my feelings for you in a more adequate fashion.

David,

You know who big C is.......He's Chris Emerson (the colonel). You put the world to rights with him, over copious quantities of booze untill the wee hours at the bmf.

Cheers
Simon T:beerjug:

I'm so pleased surrealism has finally asserted itself on this board. My stools sometimes break, but then again doesn't everybodys after 7 pints of Directors ?

If the pin keeps coming out then I suggest it's because no-one listened to it the first time it did it.

Stay cool guys.

Back
Top Bottom