Fitting winglets to a 2008 1200GS

GS Screen

Just got an 08 GS and its the biz apart from turbulence from the screen.

It seems to come from two sources over the top – I am 6’3” tall and the seat is on the highest setting – and from each side, which seems to alternate, a bit like being punched on the chest.

The standard GS screen is level with the base of my neck and the turbulence almost stops if I duck down below the lip of the screen.

How does an Adventure screen fit – I see it has an additional support bracket and does it make a difference?

Just got an 08 GS and its the biz apart from turbulence from the screen.

It seems to come from two sources over the top – I am 6’3” tall and the seat is on the highest setting – and from each side, which seems to alternate, a bit like being punched on the chest.

The standard GS screen is level with the base of my neck and the turbulence almost stops if I duck down below the lip of the screen.

How does an Adventure screen fit – I see it has an additional support bracket and does it make a difference?

The GSA screen is a straight fir to the GS as they share the same frame mount but you need to fork out for the additional brace and the mounting components.

I'm very please with the resulting improvement and find I now ride turbulence free.

Worth negotiating with your dealer for a discount if your considering it.

The best aftermarket screen for me personally was the MRA VArio, I just feel the GSA screen while more expensive looks better on the bike. :blast Yes I admit it, I'm a tart! :D

Enjoy the new bike :thumb

I have an 05 GS and put the GSA windshield on first and rode the bike to see waht difference the winglets would make. The winglets I found really stopped the wind from hitting my upper body. A great mod. And it looks great.

So far so good...

Thunder, thank you for your excellent instructions which have worked perfectly. :thumb2 I'm about to fit the winglets but am not sure about the black plastic bushes. They seem to fit nicely when positioned from above (into a slight round recess on the winglet) but as supplied, they are longer than the thickness of the winglets. This means they would sit proud on the beak unless the beak holes were drilled out beyond 6mm to take the bush rather than just the 5mm screw thread. Any thoughts? Sorry if I am being thick...

After a cup of tea...

...and with a clearer mind, bushes went in from underneath and an O ring on top ensured the winglets are solid. Really pleased with the result although haven't tried out on the road yet. I still (temporarily) have the standard screen on as the bracket to fit the Adventure screen is still on order (should be with me in 7-10 days). Note if you have the standard screen, you have to adjust it all the way back (lowest setting) to avoid it fouling the winglets at its base. I have also fitted the larger BMW handguards (black rather than grey) and the 5 litre tank bag which I am very impressed with. If anyone can point out the switch which will stop me spending money on this bike, I'd be grateful.

...and with a clearer mind, bushes went in from underneath and an O ring on top ensured the winglets are solid. Really pleased with the result although haven't tried out on the road yet. I still (temporarily) have the standard screen on as the bracket to fit the Adventure screen is still on order (should be with me in 7-10 days). Note if you have the standard screen, you have to adjust it all the way back (lowest setting) to avoid it fouling the winglets at its base. I have also fitted the larger BMW handguards (black rather than grey) and the 5 litre tank bag which I am very impressed with. If anyone can point out the switch which will stop me spending money on this bike, I'd be grateful.

Glad you got it sorted, try and help when ever I can but when it comes to spending money on the bike I would win gold for Team GB in the London Olympics. :aidan

Thunder - thanks for the post - I bought some winglets for my 08 GS from Nippy Normans (seem to be the same/similar as BMW but cheaper) .If I'd just blindly followed the instructions would have been drilling through the plastic into the plate where the proper mounting holes are - but with no way of knowing they were either there in the first place or if it would line up. Followed your advice and marked from underneath and wipped plastics off (though managed to do so without removing the tank plastic) - when checked found the Nippy Winglets have holes spaced to fit those on the bike, so after drilling they mounted perfectly. Thanks - saved a lot of swearing!:thumb2
As for the difference - I found I was suffering a load of buffeting round the sides of the screen to the chest but this is now virtually eliminated and makes for a much better ride.

Excellent photos showing the mountings... thanks.

I too bought the Nippy Norman variants and using your photos as a guide, plus the NN fitting guide, managed to drill the holes through without removing the "beak". The NN fitting does not use the spire clip fitting BMW use for their bolt, but NN supply a nylock nut for the bolt so there is no need to prise the beak off the mounting bracket, leaving the sealer undisturbed.

Ref' the previous post on the washer mounting order...
Allan bolt - winglet - rubber washer - bodywork - metal washer - nylock nut.
This allows one to tighten down the winglet till it is firm, but there is s slight cushioning between the winglet and the bodywork so there is no rubbing and any vibration is absorbed.

Ref' turbulence... pleased with winglets, seem to keep some more rain off with no adverse buffeting. Stopping sort of buying the Adventure screen at the moment but using the seat at its highest position to give clearer air flow around the crash helmet (I'm 6'4").

Rennie

does anybody know roughly how much the GSA screen plus mounts costs, and the best place to pick one up?

cheers :D

Total cost was a shade over £300 for winglets and GSA screen plus extra supporting bracket from Clarks BMW Birmingham. This didn't quite include all nuts and bolts as it turned out but I managed to improvise anything missing. Expensive but money well spent...it took an age to arrive but there may be more in the country now.

£300? wow...

i guess the GSA screen + winglets must compare favourably with the aftermarket screens like the wunderlichs and touratechs?

The GSA Screen

"....This didn't quite include all nuts and bolts as it turned out but I managed to improvise anything missing....." There are quite a large number of extra nuts, bolts, washers, required and the job can be done much more simply if you have the whole lot - and preferably the drawing showing exactly where the various washers, screws etc. fit. When I got confused and went to look at a new Adventure in the showrooms I discovered that THEY had fitted the two sides differently in error. (A complete parts list and drawing has been on this forum before.) It is a simple but fiddly job so make sure you have plenty of light and somewhere to catch the tiny lock-nuts etc;as they fall! If you want to be able to adjust the screen easily you will also need the longer knurled locking screws each side.

I have only had a quick run on the bike with the winglets on (NN ones as well) due to the frost and v cold temperatures we have had here, and Im happy with them. I also think the bike looks better with them on.

Made a wee mistake when fitting them :augie but not that it is obvious....

When I traded up from my '05 GS to my '09 GS, I ordered it with the GSA screen and winglets as extra. The dealer was out of stock at the time but fitted them at the 1000k service. Living in South Africa, other aftermarket options from EU and USA actually land costing a little more than the OEM Adventure screen dealer price. :)

It feels like an RT to me now! I am 175cm high (5"9") and the wind off the top of the screen just goes over the top of my helmet. I'd suggest that if you are taller, then one of the other aftermarket screens that are even taller could work better.:thumb2

I have a GS and was very disappointed by the amount of wind noise. I fitted an Adventure screen and winglets but frankly it’s not much better. I am 6’3” and the seat is on the higher of the two settings but even so for all that money and a System 5 helmet - I expected better.
The rest of the bike is a dream. As an aside I got fitted for a set of “proper” ear plugs today and the guy doing the fitting has gad exactly the same problem – and he was six inches shorter than me. I guess the screen creates a low-pressure area around the helmet, which is promptly filled with turbulent air.

While picking up my new '08 GS today was again told they were unable to order me any Winglets as the part number has changed and as yet there was no price available.

Anyone know why?

I ordered a set from Alan Jeffries yesterday and should be picking them up tomorrow. If all else fails ring them, (01274 776077), and ask for Paul and he can give you the part numbers.:thumb

Have an 08 GS fitted GSA screen (smoked of course - 7k miles) and just loved it after the standard screen on two GS. Today had fitted the winglets on the ride home WHAT a difference. Still able to be part of the bike while riding with out the Wind' fuss.
:thumb

I fitted the winglets on Saturday and was a complete breeze. Dead easy to get everything off the bike and more importantly; back on afterwards! While I had everything off I fitted a couple of accessory sockets in the holes between the winglet screw location and it looks really good now.
The winglets do seem to make a definite difference over not having them on motorway rides at least, and they're not even as ugly as I thought they'd be. Barely noticeable really.

Cheers for the 'how to' as it undoubtedly made things easier.

Thanks Roger

NN Wiglets fitted and they work
thanks Roger photos make all the difference.

Tackle the autocom now

I have fiitted the winglets myself last year together with a Wunderlich ergo screen, almost no buffeting anymore (2.01m) and the steering is much better when driving on the highway. I think it's because of a better airflow passing the hand protectors. I have tried the adventure screen but that didn't work for me.

Back
Top Bottom