Fitting winglets to a 2008 1200GS

That GS almost looks as good as a GSA,must have cost a fortune to do.

I called up today to order all the bits for this job (I feel a bit daft paying BMW prices for the screws, but assume that I'd otherwise get to the end and be out of just the bit I needed), and was told that the parts numbers that you quote are no longer current.

I'm afraid that I did not take down the numbers from, the new model, but does anyone know if there is any substantial difference old to new?

I ordered the exact pieces above anyway.

I have used the following parts for my winglets on my 2008 GS.:
Winglets: 1x 46637694399, 1x 46637694400,
4x 06327657966
4x 46612308594
4x 46637664846
4x 52532308647

As far as I know you can use these also for previous version 1200GS.

I went with the part numbers from the start of the thread, despite the dealer telling me that they were for the older model. They fitted just fine, and have made a huge difference to how it is to ride at higher speeds, so I'm a very happy bunny.

Fitting Winglets to 1200 GS ( 2007 Vintage )

HI

Aquired a set of winglets to fit, found no support brackets on GS :nenau,
( Its pre 2008 that'll teach me to look first ) , has anyone any experience of fitting them directly to fairing ? I presume the fairing will need to be strengthened ?? If so any ideas??

Cheers

Good write up Thunder - is this one of the frame/apertures for the accessary socket - or something else???

Attachments

• P2170491-1.jpg
    P2170491-1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,182
HI

Aquired a set of winglets to fit, found no support brackets on GS :nenau,
( Its pre 2008 that'll teach me to look first ) , has anyone any experience of fitting them directly to fairing ? I presume the fairing will need to be strengthened ?? If so any ideas??

Cheers

Hi!

My short experience: I have recently installed the ADV windscreen + the winglets on my 05 GS (better saying, the bmw local dealer installed them).

The dealer installed the winglets directly to the GS fairing, they have just used bolts, nuts and washers to fix them (I cannot see any other parts used to stength the fairing).

I have just completed a north to south Portugal trip (aprox. 1200 kms made) and the winglets performed really well, no visible shaking and they seem to be well attached to the fairing.

I have also read in other forums, people with earlier GS models (04, 05, 06) who fixed the winglets directly to the fairing without addicional bracket support had no problems at all.

Safe riding and good luck!:)

I fitted the wingletts to my 05 bike, i DID use a strip of Ali plate either side under the plastic to boost it's strengh. No problems in 20,000 miles.

Fitting Winglets to 1200 GS ( 2007 Vintage )

Hi

Thanks for replies, appreciated :thumb2,

I've already fitted the ADV screen, so fitting winglets seemed a logical next step re improved protection and reduced buffeting. I had visions of fitting winglets directly to fairing not being a very good idea (one dealer strongly advised me not to). I'll be fitting them this weekend and also reinforce the plastic with ali mesh and resin on the underside.

Cheers

Has anybody dropped the bike with winglets fitted on a GS? I take it they would just snap off and not damage anything else - they seem to stick out quite far...

where can I order these BMW parts on line

great info and pics where can I order the BMW parts you listed on line.

jeff

Nippy's Winglets

Thanks info and heads up - brilliant thread.
My 09 SE fitted with nippy normans winglets - took about 20 mins - best advice from thread (ignore the supplied template ). used a small Dremel type drill to mark the holes coming up over using the alread pre-drilled holes as guide . Enlarge holes to 6.5 mm from above . No need to remove anything.
DSC00272.jpg

Dave

Winglet with standard GS

Has anyone fitted the winglets without resorting to a GSA or vario screen and if so, did it work?

Has anybody dropped the bike with winglets fitted on a GS? I take it they would just snap off and not damage anything else - they seem to stick out quite far...

Yes I have !!!! And yes they do snap and break but no other damage !:blast

NippyNormans screen and BMW winglets

I recently got a set of BMW winglets to fit to my 07 1200GS but found they wouldn't fit with the NN screen. The screen seems to foul the winglets in any position I've tried.

Waiting for a reply from NN to see if the NN winglets fit the NN screen but in the meantime I was wondering if anybody has had a similar problem and can offer some advice.

I have the original screen and could revert to it as I understand the winglets fit OK with it but this won't offer as much wind protection as the NN so it might defeat the purpose...

cheers,
Daniel

Thanks info and heads up - brilliant thread.
My 09 SE fitted with nippy normans winglets - took about 20 mins - best advice from thread (ignore the supplied template ). used a small Dremel type drill to mark the holes coming up over using the alread pre-drilled holes as guide . Enlarge holes to 6.5 mm from above . No need to remove anything.
DSC00272.jpg

Dave

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Winglets from Nippy Normans ...

So got to thinking how to drill the holes in the right place on my 2009 SE without dismantling everything... and having blown up my dremel a few weeks ago, took the following approach which worked well;)

Soldering iron warmed up.. pushed through from underneath through the holes in the frame, then drilled out from above...

Worked a treat, and nothing to dismangle.....:D

Used the same method Bryn with a gas soldering iron and then with a drill worked perfectly. For me with an 09 standard gs the NN winglet fit with no problems with the BMW standard screen .

Yes I have !!!! And yes they do snap and break but no other damage !:blast

i guess as they are part of the much bigger gsa then they'll snap off if you drop your bike but on the gsa they'll not touch down due to the crash bars

If you have never dropped your GS/GSA then either you are a riding god or you are'nt trying hard enough :augie

Here is my last, but one, off and you can see that it floats very high, i.e. nowhere near the wings. The wings shouldn't be damaged unless something unusual happens, such as hitting something or being hit by a flying rider.

Attachments

• gs on side  ubley.jpg
    gs on side ubley.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 981

Back
Top Bottom