Fitting winglets to a 2008 1200GS

Thunder

Reaction score
I’d fitted the GSA winglets to my previous GS and was aware of the benefits for rider and passenger, so when I found that the 2008 version of the bike now comes with support brackets for winglets and accessory sockets as part of the new frame it seemed like a waste not to head off to the dealers for the necessary bits. :rob

P2170491.jpg

Parts that are required including how many and BMW part numbers are:

SLIPSTREAM DEFLECTOR LEFT 1 46637694399
SLIPSTREAM DEFLECTOR RIGHT 1 46637694400
FILLISTER HEAD SCREW M5X20SI 4 06327657966
FLAT WASHER 4 46612308594
BUSH 6,9X2,3 4 46637664846
NUT M5 4 52532308647

Before you remove the beak feel underneath for the mounting bracket and mark the position of the mounting holes with a pencil on to the underside its worth marking the position of the accessory sockets as well just for reference.

To remove the beak I found it’s best to remove the tank panel first, on the previous bike this was not necessary but on the new model it’s a lot harder and while I eventually got the beak off it was at the risk of cracking it and I could not get it back into position with the tank panel in place.

Removing the tank panel is a lot easier than the previous model thanks to the new filler cap. Remove the side panels first (2 screws at the rear and one at the front on the stainless steel panel), then the rear tank panels (2 screws and it unclips), then the filler cap itself, remove the 4 black screws only and lift it clear. For safety I’d recommend putting a clean rag into the filler cap just in case you drop one of the screws.
Finally remove the 2 screws joining the tank panel to the beak, lift the tank panel and slide it to the rear of the bike.

To remove the beak there are 2 screws at each side, once removed you will be able to slide the beak forward to remove it, but be aware BMW have used mastic on the winglet bracket to prevent vibrations (see previous photo) and it means gently freeing the back of the beak. Take it easy at this part you do not want to crack the panel it’s a tighter fit than the previous version owing to the redesigned sub frame.

Once removed you will be able to see the positions you previously marked on the underside of the beak, they should be positioned within 2 squares formed in the plastic. If not refit and check them again, you do not want to drill holes in the wrong place at this point.
Drill a small pilot hole (3mm worked for me) at each mounting point and again refit the beak to check it is centred over the mounting point, if all is in place drill a final 6 mm hole to accommodate the 5mm flat head screw used to mount the winglets.

Before refitting the beak slip one 5mm spring nut over the frame at each mounting point, refit the beak and secure it in place.

P2170495-1.jpg

Place a plastic bush under each hole of the winglet and a washer on the top then screw each winglet in place, don’t over tighten them.

P2170497.jpg

Finally refit the tank and side panels and go try out the new deflectors. :thumb

Hi

Do these winglets make much difference to the ride?..... more for the side of the rider I should think!

Just upgraded to a 1200 (from an 1150) and find the standard 1200 screen not as good as the old std 1150.

Tried adjusting screen up and down but the airflow above the head at the legal limit isnt as good at the old 1150 screen at its LOWEST setting.. any ideas to improve it???

Hi

Do these winglets make much difference to the ride?..... more for the side of the rider I should think!

Just upgraded to a 1200 (from an 1150) and find the standard 1200 screen not as good as the old std 1150.

Tried adjusting screen up and down but the airflow above the head at the legal limit isnt as good at the old 1150 screen at its LOWEST setting.. any ideas to improve it???

OOOh there are lots of opinions about screens, do a search when you have a day free :rob

Can only speak personally but I found the winglets fitted on my previious bike made a big difference and Ms Cheeks found it a lot better when she was riding pillion.

I've tried different screens as I could never get a perfect position with the stock, this time I've got the GSA screen fitted and it's a big improvement.

Stickied due to popular demand (for a few weeks anyway) :thumb2

Oh us mods are such helpful and decent people :clap

looks like a great mod.

How much did all of the parts come to?

winglets

does anyone know if you can get winglets for an 1100gs?

Not from North Oxford

While picking up my new '08 GS today was again told they were unable to order me any Winglets as the part number has changed and as yet there was no price available.

Anyone know why?

Hi

Hi Viking

I have an 07 1200 GSA and have ridden the 1200 GS. I'm 6' 2" and the screen on the GSA works much better than the GS even with the seat in the high position. If you can replace the GS screen with the GSA screen I would definately recommend you do so.

With regards to the winglets, they come as standard on the GSA and even when I had taken them off to paint the tank cover and beak and promptly lost the screws to replace them, I had to ride for a few days without the winglets and can honestly say I personally didn't notice a great deal of difference. They do however make the bike look totally different with them on.

Hope this helps.

Hi Viking

I have an 07 1200 GSA and have ridden the 1200 GS. I'm 6' 2" and the screen on the GSA works much better than the GS even with the seat in the high position. If you can replace the GS screen with the GSA screen I would definately recommend you do so.

With regards to the winglets, they come as standard on the GSA and even when I had taken them off to paint the tank cover and beak and promptly lost the screws to replace them, I had to ride for a few days without the winglets and can honestly say I personally didn't notice a great deal of difference. They do however make the bike look totally different with them on.

Hope this helps.

I beg to differ on your winglet eval. Most people have found a significant decrease in buffetting. I'm running the winglets and the GSA screen and its night and day compared to the reg GS screen.

Cracking how to that filled in a snowy afternoon. I painted under the frame with a couple of tiny blasts of spray paint which matched all of the holes to be drilled exactly so I knew they would be in the right place.
Here is the finished article - complete with Adventure screen.
:beerjug:

Attachments

• IMG_1477.jpg
    IMG_1477.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 10,281
  • IMG_1474.jpg
    IMG_1474.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 10,341
Excuse my ignorance or if I have not read correctly, what do the winglets actually do? :rolleyes:

The GSA screen

Your photographs clearly show how the GSA screen looks right on the GS - and as many of us have found out it does make a worthwile difference; I did suggest ( a year or so ago) that i was surprised that BMW did not offer the larger screen as an option - now that they are fitting the winglet supports I suspect that it will soon be possible to have the big screen as original.

Just got an 08 GS and its the biz apart from turbulence from the screen.

It seems to come from two sources over the top – I am 6’3” tall and the seat is on the highest setting – and from each side, which seems to alternate, a bit like being punched on the chest.

The standard GS screen is level with the base of my neck and the turbulence almost stops if I duck down below the lip of the screen.

How does an Adventure screen fit – I see it has an additional support bracket and does it make a difference?

Back
Top Bottom