Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Italia 08 - General Postings Thread

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Italia 08 - General Postings Thread

This thread is for posting of general communications, questions etc which are not specifc to other threads within the Italia 08 section.

Motorway vignette - Switzerland

Gents, please find below info on vignettes for Switzerland.

web site for booking ( Austria we will pick up at the border for £ 4)

http://www.switzerlandtravelcentre.c...FQ8ZQgodSW22fQ
    Attached Images Attached Images   

We'll need vignettes before Basel since after the border the road goes directly onto the Swiss motorway system. You can buy them at the border and they will take Euros (but not GBP AFAIK). There is a £3.50 supplement for buying them on the web.

Since I will be at the border before you lot, I can buy them in advance for those who want - save a lot of messing about with change and credit cards.

Another tip for a smooth passage - Swiss plod take a dim view of noisy bikes, so if you've got an Akropovic, best keep it down ;-)

Stolzy, can you put me down for one please?

HiVis

Hi Gents, I noticed on the Getgeared site they say that Bikers have to wear HiVis Waistcoats on Italian Motorways, does anyone know if this is true?

Cheers Ken.

Navigator

Reflective Vests

Or however it is spelt.
    It is not compulsury to wear them but cars are supposed to carry them. I presume for in the event of a breakdown. I guess it would be recommended to carry oney but as a lot of motorcycle suits have reflective built into them then I don't think it is an issue. It is like most things. If you get pulled and they want to nail you they will find something even it is wearing size 10 boots on size 9 feet. But in reality politeness and not the traditional English way of speaking to foreigners (loud and slowly) will help and they will waggle a well groomed finger at you and tell you to sod off..... Hopefully.
    Alternativelly you can do what a friend of mine did when stopped for speeding. Cry. Mind you she was blonde and looked like the fallen madonna with the biga boobies. So she used it to good advantage. Perhaps not an ideal solution for a bloke..........?

Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    Or however it is spelt.
    It is not compulsury to wear them but cars are supposed to carry them. I presume for in the event of a breakdown. I guess it would be recommended to carry oney but as a lot of motorcycle suits have reflective built into them then I don't think it is an issue.
    I've got 2 spare if anyone wants one on the day.
    XL, fit my bod OK over my jacket.
    I picked up a few from work when our new factory was being built. Not ideal for bikes 'cos they're just lightweight cotton, sleeveless, with a single velcro fastening. Should be OK for warm weather riding though.
    If you want one, remind me before we go & I'll pack them.

Quote Originally Posted by panzerphil View Post
    I've got 2 spare if anyone wants one on the day.
    XL, fit my bod OK over my jacket.
    I picked up a few from work when our new factory was being built. Not ideal for bikes 'cos they're just lightweight cotton, sleeveless, with a single velcro fastening. Should be OK for warm weather riding though.
    If you want one, remind me before we go & I'll pack them.
    Hi Panzer.
    It would be great if i could first dibs one of those please - obviously for a pint in Italy
    You're a handy bloke to know - the earplugs worked a treat after the last meeting
    If anyone else is in greater need, no probs, i'll do my best to source another.
    ATB
    Stevo

For the past 4 or 5 years I've been chatting to a guy on another forum from Italy. I told him I'd be passing his gaff this year & I posted our route to him.

He said & I quote.. 'avoid the E45 like the plague. It's one the worst paved, most dangerous roads in Italy and it's also full of speed cameras & as usual I am available for tip-top tips!'.

I see we do actually use the E45 on our way from Rome to Rimini for 46 miles.
    Be warned, be carefull.

He lives in Cellatica which is slap bang in the middle of our route (between Milan & Venice.)
    If anyone wants to ask him any questions regarding the area, feel free & I'll fwd it to him.
    If there's enough interest I'm sure he'll pop over & post here himself.

A Thought

Oh Look it's the 14th..

of May....only 4 more weeks.

Navigator

darn and drat

[QUOTE=Major Gadget;1407714]Oh Look it's the 14th..

Where all the kit, will the radio work, how big are the holes in the ground sheet will I fit the extra lights in time...WWWAAAAAUGH why did you have to remind me.

Travel Insurance

Hi Gents, Does anybody know of a company that does single trip insurance for the Italia 2008 trip,with the GS as the only form of transport.

Cheers Ken.

Colins

insurance

Just got my travel insurance for Italy. £51.00 for my wife and I from Carole Nash. Used them before always quick service documents arived the next day.

Navigator
    When I have looked into travel insurance before I have found that a yearly policy is just slightly more expensive than a single trip policy.
    Navman

Trav/Med Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Major Gadget View Post
    Hi Gents, Does anybody know of a company that does single trip insurance for the Italia 2008 trip,with the GS as the only form of transport.

Cheers Ken.
    Ken, I went on-line & got cover for the dates we're away from the AA for £14.79.

http://www.aatravelinsurance.com/tra...-insurance.asp

Travel Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by panzerphil View Post
    Ken, I went on-line & got cover for the dates we're away from the AA for £14.79.

http://www.aatravelinsurance.com/tra...-insurance.asp
    Thanks Phil

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast