Beak power socket

<<Mark_C>>

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
I bought the BMW one and it comes with a wiring loom that connects to the original socket at the seat piggy back fashion. the beak has a egg shaped raised section underneath you drill here and fit the socket. only difficulties are moving the tank which can be disconnected.to feed the loom to the front. I think you should waterproof the connectors with at least Duck tape. Lost-fan

Does the kit you fitted have a DIN sized socket or a car ciggy one? I'm trying to establish whether a car socket will fit on the beak as I suspect it won't.

Does the kit you fitted have a DIN sized socket or a car ciggy one? I'm trying to establish whether a car socket will fit on the beak as I suspect it won't.

It should, quite easily.

I fitted a second din sized one to mine two days ago and there was plenty of room......it's wide enough on the 'shelf' bit and there's nothing below it for a good few inches, so I can't see why it wouldn't work :)

Why do you want to put in a cigar type one BTW?

The DIN type are actually better- they're designed not to ping out and they are far less prone to failing....you can get a din to car type adaptor for about 6 quid if it's a case of gadgets with the wrong sort of plug.

I suspect you may find that stuff put in a car type socket will vibrate out, giving intermittent connections etc........

Little tip....put a piece of masking tape on the beak before you drill then start off with a small pilot hole before you use a cone cutter......wandering drill bit tips make nasty scratches on vehicles ;) DAMHIK :blast

this is a better socket for cigarette fittings, twist lock so it wont vibrate out, also has a waterproof cap.

marine plug.jpg

they can be bought on ebay for £9.00 , saves buying a marine to cigy lighter fitting adaptor.
ugg.

Why do you want to put in a cigar type one BTW?

Because I want to do something like this :-

14562942-M.jpg

ie Tomtom mobile on a smartphone.

The phone charger is a USB type and the plug contains gubbins to reduce 12v to about 5 or 6v. Just thought it would be cleaner to have the correct sized socket without adapters. Take your point on DIN sockets being better and designed for the job. Like the idea of the locking car ciggy type though - cheers ugg.

My solution as cig socket plugs vibrate out in the car so I stood no chance on the bike.

I bought a cig socket USB adaptor (£1 in Poundland), soldered wires to the contacts, covered in insulating tape, wired to battery (via fuse, I use a Centech fuse panel which made it easy) and kept under seat. USB cable runs from adaptor to bars.

Back
Top Bottom