Halfords Spots

As consensus, easy job, we all do it slightly differently, attached is my way of doing it.
Mounted autoswitch at 1, Relay which came with Halfords lights at 2, Took ignition live from grey lead to instrument light at 3 (Spots only work when lights are on !!) Fed LED through hole drilled at 10 oclock on speedo moulding, leads just visible to right of 4, under auto switch. Indicator cancel lead is small brown & white lead in bottom right connector under tank.

Attachments

• poplarbear.jpg
    poplarbear.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,042
Very neat, Roger. Looks good. Looks like I'm going to have to take the plunge and test my schoolboy electronics skills when my Autoswitch arrives.
:( :( :(

Simon

Pedal the old girl down to Enfield on Saturday morning and we'll do it together (so to speak!)

Greg

Cheers Greg:
I need the autoswitch before proceeding. Plus, I'm hoping to go to Princetown for the weekend. May need to postpone your kind offer. Anyday is good for me otherwise.
Simon E.
:beerjug:

Am now hoping to make Princetown, wont know 4 sure until Thursday late, will post and I'll then show you mine - if you show me yours?

Re: Autoswitch

gazza said:
I have an Autoswitch Model 4NB for sale at cost.

Gazza:
Excuse my ignorance but if that's the same switch as Paul, Roger, etc have used, consider it sold! Send me a private mail and we'll arrange the transfer of goods and chattels.
Simon E.

Wipac lights

For what it is worth I have a pair of Wipac Work Lights suspended from a length of DIN rack mounting rail that is fixed to the underside of the beak on my 1150. Each one has a switch in the rear casing and the pair are realy switched to operate with main beam. They give a very broad, rather than long, spread of light which means that the forground is illuminated however much I am banked over. Nice!

Hi Peeps,

You can call me Moses now. I have fitted some PIAA 1200s to a lightbar and added an autoswitch. They get switched on when filtering - hence my new name!- and when I want to be seen on the open road. I have a horn too - the combination has the same effect as a blue light!

Anyway - whilst I was in the States I bought 2 autoswitches that work off the cancel button on the basis that one of you guys might want one too. So you can have it at cost.

I was well impressed by the use of B&Q steel square section seen on bikes at the last Sarrat meet. However, I wanted to use aluminium since my lights are smaller and don't need the strength so I sourced some 12mm aluminium section. It's just the job and was finished in accordance with other posts in this thread (many thanks). Unfortunately I had to buy 5 metres of the stuff when I only needed 50cm. I have therefore some to spare at cost (£3.50 per 50cm).

My switch is soldered in - it took a couple of hours at a leasurely place whilst somewhat jetlagged - my PIAAs came with a relay so it was straightforward combining the two. I noted on the switch info there is a slight error - the live switched feed on the plugs under the tank is not the one they suggested but the one next to it. The cancel wire was correctly identified. A meter helped to confirm things but is probably not necessary mindful of the experience out there.

The whole lot works really well and can well recommend it.

If anyone wants to give me a call to discuss info/handover etc. they can on 0118 918 1102

Halfords spots and autoswitch

Can someone please help me? I've got my Halfords spots and my autoswitch, have made my mounting bar, and am ready to go!
What I want to do, is wire the lights so that one comes on with the dipped beam, and both come on when on main beam, with both being switched by the autoswitch when I don't want to use them (daytime)

could anyone do me simple..ish wiring diagram to show how I should wire them up.... I've looked hard at the lee bastins excellent wiring diagram, and also at the autoswitch diagram, but it's beyond my abilities to work out how to wire the set up as above

Pleeeeease help

many thanks

Will Statt

What I want to do, is wire the lights so that one comes on with the dipped beam, and both come on when on main beam, with both being switched by the autoswitch when I don't want to use them (daytime)

Will, i think this is what you're after. :D

Perfect!!

Brilliant Lee, that's just what I needed...... just not my scene, electrics, unless I have 'instructions for idiots'....... I'll start soldering tonight.

Thanks

Will

Wreford and I have had a few early morning starts and have probably ridden 1000 miles in the dark since Friday. The value of both of us having extra lights cannot be underestimated.

Whereas my lights are switched with the Autoswitch, Wreford's simply pick up on the main-beam feed (with relay). In many ways that is a better arrangement as he doesn't have to flick two switches to turn all his lights on. It set me thinking.

I want my extra lights to come on whenever I switch my main-beam on, but ALSO to be able to turn on the extra lights seperately using the Autoswitch (even if no headlights are on at all). Whilst we were riding through Spain I thought of a way of doing this using 3 relays, but can it be done by just using two?

:confused:

Greg

Autoswitch bypass.

I want my extra lights to come on whenever I switch my main-beam on, but ALSO to be able to turn on the extra lights seperately using the Autoswitch (even if no headlights are on at all).

Here you go Greg (quick rehash of diagram!), two relays. :p

Attachments

• 2002 r1150 gs - with goodies fitted3.jpg
    2002 r1150 gs - with goodies fitted3.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 464
Brilliant

Have completed the 'installation' of my Halfords Spots and Autoswitch today......... and just been out to see the difference....... they're BRILLIANT!
Thanks to Lee Bastin's wiring diagram service, I've wired mine so that one spot comes on with the dipped beam, and then both are on when I go onto main beam........ works a treat.

Also wired my GPS V up and have made a mount so that it sits neatly behind the crossbar, on top of the bar clamps..... looks ace at night with the backlit screen turned on!

Thanks for all the various electrical help!

Where are the Wiring drawings?

I know that there is an excellent set of drawings showing the dimensions and wiring for a home made light bar to mount under the beak. Trouble is I can't find it any more! It used to be in the GSclubuk website but that is no more.

Can anybody point me at it's new location??

Thanks

auxlights.jpg

Yikes

well I wanted extra lights - but having just read all of these posts and scared myself silly looking at that wiring diagram - I'll just have to keep on with the carrot eating !!!!!!!!

Technical Incompetents of the world unite !

Back
Top Bottom