Italia 08 GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulbde

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For those of you using Garmin GPS systems on the Italia 08 tour, you will be able to have the full trip, divided by day, downloaded onto your GPS prior to departure.

However, as we all seem to use different software versions as well as NT versions this can lead to compatibility issues.

Thus,

Anyone using a Garmin GPS need to :

A, download the attached route and waypoints, transfer it to your GPS, and ensure you can read the route on the GPS - then post that you have the info OK

B, If you cannot read the file, post your model of GPS and software version i.e city navigator Europe V9

In the coming weeks, I intend to make sure everyone with a GPS has a full set of compatable files.

Paul

Attachments

• test route.gdb
    13.6 KB · Views: 262
umo rather than me having to trawl through and find out for myself? What size memory card will I need for this download?:(

Paul, that post went wrong:spitfire

I tried to say,
would it be possible for you to post an idiots guide to putting this on my Zumo since I.ve just bought it and haven't yet any idea.

If it's too complex to post, don't worry I will trawl through the manual or search on line.

thanks
Paul

Test Route

Hi Paul, I can't open your test route.

I am running NT versions of Ver 8, and 9 City Navigator Europe.

Ken.

Paul, that post went wrong:spitfire

I tried to say,
would it be possible for you to post an idiots guide to putting this on my Zumo since I.ve just bought it and haven't yet any idea.

If it's too complex to post, don't worry I will trawl through the manual or search on line.

thanks
Paul

Paul, if its anything like the 2650... plug it in to the computer... then when its on click on the file... open.... that should open mapsource... then transfer to unit ... does that make sense?

Bryn :beerjug:

It's very simple.

Download the file to your DESKTOP so you can find it easily.

Open Mapsource. The GARMIN software on your PC. If you haven't loaded it then load it from the CD in the box. The one labeled Navigator not the instruction manual CD.

ONce you have mapsource opened in your PC. DO a File/Open to the file you downloaded to your desktop.
Then plug in your Zumo to the PC using the USB lead. IF it is your first time then it will take a minute or two to load the drivers etc.

Once Zumo is recognised by PC. Use the TRANSFER/SEnd to device function.
A box will come up on the screen. It has a drop down menu for selecting the Zumo. Then a series of checkboxes. Select Waypoints and Routes.
Click ok.

Once completed. Disconnect the Zumo from the PC. Use the disconnect function on Windows BEFORE YOU PULL THE WIRE OUT. Then turn on the ZUMO. It will ask you if you want to transfer the data. Just follow on screen instructions.

BINGO route loaded!

ZUMO 550 2008 maps

Works fine

Although the waypoints are not in Italy :D

Anyone using a Garmin GPS need to :

....download the attached route and waypoints, transfer it to your GPS, and ensure you can read the route on the GPS - then post that you have the info OK
Paul

I have the info OK! :thumb2

I have Mapsource V8/2610 and it says:
'The file cannot be read because it uses a subsequent file version.'
Guess I have to wait for an upgrade.

Hi Stolzy,

Have the same equipment, got the same message. Selected for the options Help>Check for Software Updates.

Downloaded and installed, all seems to work now. :thumb

If your running Vista like me, the ZIP file does not extract atomatically, however, if you download direct from the site and run the ZIP it works.

Cheers

Richard :beerjug:

I have Mapsource V8/2610 and it says:
Guess I have to wait for an upgrade.

I have followed the information supplied by Novice, keep getting message same as the others.
Followed DV8's advice and updated but still getting the message.
I have the ZUMU 550 running city navigator NT Version 9.
can anyone put me right please?:confused:

Sorry CC,

My advice was only for the 2610 and V8, not the config you have.

Good luck :thumb

I have followed the information supplied by Novice, keep getting message same as the others.
Followed DV8's advice and updated but still getting the message.
I have the ZUMU 550 running city navigator NT Version 9.
can anyone put me right please?:confused:

Hi Paul

I have just tried to load the Test route and get the following message:

"This route does not match the available maps.

It would not follow the roads precisely do you want to continue"

This was on a SP3 with Europe V6.

In what version was the file created and saved???

Cheers G

Also got the same message in V8

Last edited:
Hi Paul

I have just tried to load the Test route and get the following message:

"This route does not match the available maps.

It would not follow the roads precisely do you want to continue"

This was on a SP3 with Europe V6.

In what version was the file created and saved???

Cheers G

Gippo, I'm using an SP3 on V6 as well.
Sounds like you don't have a major problem.
I assume you got that message from the GPS. All it is saying is that your data card does not have the maps loaded for the route Paul posted.
If you got that far it's pretty safe to say Paul's info can be read & loaded to your unit. Just try loading maps for the Midlands area onto your datacard.

(My SP3 can get the whole route on three 128mb data cards, I'm using four to spread the maps further afield in case of detours. pm me if you want any help)

PP

Maps, Routes, Version & Other strange things!

Chaps,

To put your minds at rest.

1. Those of you with SP3's are fully compatible with the mapping that I use -I know this as when we did Garmisch 07, I used an SP3.

2. For SP3's you will not fit the whole route and all the waypoints onto 1 card, so you will need to get another - if you look on e-bay you can pick up the 256mb version - 1 of these was enough for the whole Garmisch trip.

3 I author the trip in Mapsource V9, which allows me to also save the routes in older versions. However, for the routes and waypoints to be relevant, you have to have the map sets loaded - no map - no GPS understanding.

4 I am expecting the latest map upgrade in the next few days from Garmin, so I will update all the routes, and Major Gadget (an Mapsource08 user) and I have had a discussion about general compatibility issues.

5 The biggest problem will be with older map sets - because over time roads change. To overcome this problem, and also on newer devices to beat the dynamic re-route feature, the routes will contain intermediate way points, thus if your device re-calculates because of the roads are different, you will still pick up the next waypoint - so you will stay on route.

6 Those of you that have had problems with error messages about compatibility, please update your Mapsource and also device software to the latest release (I'm not talking about the maps), which is a free download from the Garmin site. Bryn had to do this last year and everything works groovy afterwards.

This is why unfortunately we need to get the GPS section going so early, so that we can overcome any little issues.

For those of you that have GPS’s but have not checked everything out yet, please do so – just in case it’s a new problem your experiencing!

Cheers

Paul

GPS Anomolies.

I rang Garmin today to discuss the problem I'm having with the Test Route, and spoke to a very nice lady. She said City Navigator V9,and City Navigator NT V9, are two different map sets,and cannot be read by each other. The fact that my 2820 with City Navigator NTv9 cannot read this is because of this reason. The fact that my Zumo 550 with City Navigator NTv9 can is a fluke,and she confirmed this with their IT Guy.When Paul gets his new Map it will be City Navigator 2008 because he runs a Garmin 2610 which cannot read the new City Navigator NT2008. So guys who cannot read the posted maps will need to take all the Waypoints and Co-ordinates, and create daily rouites in their own version of Mapsource.

Cheers, Ken

Well just to add to the confusion I have a MIO268 and a Nokia Navigator. Oh and soon should have a street pilot 3 to add to the collection. I only need a map with the waypoints ticked into it and will then put them in individually in my systems. Have to say the nokia is a cracking piece of kit for a phone.

Hi Stolzy,

Have the same equipment, got the same message. Selected for the options Help>Check for Software Updates.

Downloaded and installed, all seems to work now. :thumb

If your running Vista like me, the ZIP file does not extract atomatically, however, if you download direct from the site and run the ZIP it works.

Cheers

Richard :beerjug:
I'd already tried that, but at the end of downloading the file I get the message

' Invalid command line parameter'

Rather amusingly Garmin say this is not the correct way to update the software and pointed me to a file to download and updateupdate manaully.
I did that, but still get the same message when I try and open the route file.
I'm waiting for Mapsource V9 - maybe that will solve it.

OK, I had a little play on another computer and I updated Mpsource on my MacBook to 6.13.7 and I can see the route fine now. Looks like the update didn't work on the first computer (a Dell XP) I tried.

So I'm up and running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom