Sawtry calling...

Looked at Twotters previous post and found that Polebrook had already been mentioned in dispatches (forgive me, I am a newbie at this - and I DID read the sticky - whoops!), and that James Stewart had been stationed there.

Well, a little research later and I have found that;
1. Clark Gable was stationed there also to make a film;
2. It was an IRBM base !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Polebrook

Scary stuff - glad the cold war is over !
:thumb2

Would be a nice ride on a sunny day.

P.S. Do you know John (with the Repsol Fireblade) from Sawtry.

also in peterborough so hello from me!

Hi,

I'm also in P'boro , 2007 1200GS in red etc.. would be happy to meet up etc.:hide

I've got a little rideout of just over 100 miles to visit a few of the old wartime airfields in the area. Looking to do it in the next few weeks/month or so...

Depending on time/date I could be up for that too - never realised so many ex-flight stations around here - apart from the obvious Wyton/Brampton.

I've got a plan to go futher to the east and include Warboys, Oakington and then Mepal, Sutton and a few others :augie

Well i'm in Royston on the Herts Cambs border so would love to join in too, we have the obvious Duxford and also the less obvious WW2 airfield at Nuthampstead. Another 1200 GS.

Okay then gents, who's up for this rideout this Sunday?

Meet up at the McDonalds at the Brampton Hut Services on the A1/A14 roundabout at 09:30 for a 10:00 departure. I'll be the short haired chap with the beard wearing a Rukka jacket and loitering near to a red/white/blue Varadero :)

All at your own risk etc...:augie

Okay then gents, who's up for this rideout this Sunday?

Meet up at the McDonalds at the Brampton Hut Services on the A1/A14 roundabout at 09:30 for a 10:00 departure. I'll be the short haired chap with the beard wearing a Rukka jacket and loitering near to a red/white/blue Varadero :)

All at your own risk etc...:augie
Sounds a good'un.:clap

The missus is scowling, but that's my job in life !

See you then.

cant do this sunday as I will have been away in SFO for the last 2 weeks for work and the wife would kill me!! I fly back on friday!

But if there is another weekend outing, let em know...

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom