Snoops Morocco Trip #2

Just been to collect Snoop from the airport, off his 10:15 arrival.

......only it's 22:15 :blast

Just been to collect Snoop from the airport, off his 10:15 arrival.

......only it's 22:15 :blast

What we've got here is a failure to communicate.

coolhandluke.jpg

Greg

Snoops does to adventure bikeing what Joe simpson does to mountaineering.

Having said that, an evening in the pub with both might prove entertaining though.

22:10 mrs cookie said on the phone. somehow i was exactly half an hour late to pick her up :rolleyes:

But if she said twenty-two ten, which you misheard as 'twenty to ten', why did you turn up at 'twenty to eleven'? (ie half an hour after 22:10).

Do you habitually leave Mrs Cookie waiting an hour for you?

Snoops does to adventure bikeing what Joe simpson does to mountaineering.

Having said that, an evening in the pub with both might prove entertaining though.

Dunno JS but an evening in the pub with the Dawg is not unpleasant...

:beerjug::beerjug::beerjug:

Attachments

• The Crew.jpg
    The Crew.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 399
Hallo everyone,

I'm back in the UK. My mate picked me up, said he can see the bones through my face i've lost so much weight. :(

Damage to bike is substantial. A car took out the panniers so I had to dump any "extras" and "nice to have"s to remount so that I could cross west which was my ultimate aim.

On Tetraciclina and Doxciclina for Cholera. I nearly went into shock in the Spanish hospital just after txting Forry with an update (phone charger failed so could only get a little charge here and there).

I was repatriated back to UK a wreak; bike boots, soiled lightweight pants, a thermal vest and bike jacket.

Endless battles to get home was an absolute nightmare.

I'll start the write-up tomorrow all being well but I'm in a shit state and need to recover first.

Andrew

I told everyone you would be fine... a small dose of the runs, a seasoned travellers knocks and scratches on the bike.... I never mentioned the skid marks in your undies though and by all accounts it wasn't skid marks but looked like the tyre burst.....:augie

Glad your'e okay and await the write up. Hopefully your camera is intact and has a full memory card:rolleyes:

AndyT:cool:

But if she said twenty-two ten, which you misheard as 'twenty to ten', why did you turn up at 'twenty to eleven'? (ie half an hour after 22:10).

Do you habitually leave Mrs Cookie waiting an hour for you?

As women don't understand the 24-hour clock, she obviously said "twenty to ten".

As men do understand the 24-hour clock, cookie turned up at 22:10

Camera failed during crossing the desert so doesn't have any footage thereafter but up to there is excellent. I really do think that's a good thing. I went from 11.5 stone and I'm now 9 and showing the hardship of getting back to the UK would be depressing. Last thing I ate was a big mac three days ago and I feel full still. Not sure if I held that down.

at least your back in one piece.all be it a smaller piece.:bow:bow:bow:clap:clap

Camera failed during crossing the desert so doesn't have any footage thereafter but up to there is excellent. I really do think that's a good thing. I went from 11.5 stone and I'm now 9 and showing the hardship of getting back to the UK would be depressing. Last thing I ate was a big mac three days ago and I feel full still. Not sure if I held that down.

Andrew, glad you got home 'ok'.....get well and get some pics up and the gruesome story in all its finest detail when you get the chance....:thumb

Write-up is now in progress and first part will be here shortly. Can I ask a mod to put a URL link from one chapter to another to save people searching.

Chapters will include images and video. I recommend downloading the video before reading the chapter and watching them as you get to the link. Videos are large mp4 (quicktime based) and broadband is required. Right click on each movie link and select Save Target or similar.

I hope you enjoy the report. Cheers, Snoops.

Chapter 1 – the journey begins!

In two hours time I was setting off for the Spanish Picos, Northern Spain, for a couple days or a week of riding the mountains there. I'd bought a new bike and the V5 hadn't arrived. This cut short my ambition to go once more to Morocco and do the challenging west route from Merzouga to Zagora.

Then my mam, or mum as it is said down South, phoned. The V5 had turned up! Frantically I began to repack and recheck the equipment – I was going back to Morocco!

For those of you who haven't read trip report #1, I took an R1150GS around Morocco two years ago at the age of 23 with no planning. It was admittedly ballsy and I got myself into a few tight situations but I had good fun doing it and experienced many things you can't do unless you travel solo.

My equipment was a bit simpler this time round. I was carrying three t-shirts, boxers, socks and a pair of trainers. For the bike there was tyre levers & puncture repair, spare 21” tube, additional oil, fuses and the usual cable ties and such. For sleeping there was a Goretex bivy, down bag and inflatable roll mate all rolled into one bag. For hygiene there were separate bags for washing clothes, dishes, myself and a medical kit (really basic one, left the proper one in mates car). The panniers had taps on the bottom and could store 7ltrs of water between them, and two 10ltr jerry cans were slung on the back for good measure. I also carried basic cooking facilities and some packet foods.

101_0001.jpg

101_0002.jpg

http://www.igaro.com/misc/moroc2/101_0005.mov

I was due to travel from Newcastle to Bradford Uni where I'd be staying with a mate and drinking at the uni bars & club that night. I was going to be late now but it had to be so. I set off at around 20:00hrs and got there for 21:30hrs leaving plenty of time for drinking, which ultimately we did a lot off.

http://www.igaro.com/misc/moroc2/101_0006.mov

In the morning my mate (he's Greek as you can see on the video) decided he'd have a shot on my bike. He broke my first bike and I was a bit apprehensive about him breaking the Dakar before I'd even left the country. None the less he quickly mastered it around the university block.

http://www.igaro.com/misc/moroc2/101_0007.mov
http://www.igaro.com/misc/moroc2/101_0008.mov

I booked a SeaFrance ferry and in the afternoon set off for the Dover-Calais ferry for 20:20hrs. I was there in good time but the ferry had been cancelled and I was put on a later P&O alternative for 21:40hrs. That give plenty of time for chatting with various bus drivers on best routes through France and for photo taking of the bike. I also tightened some bolts that were the cause of an oil leak.

101_0011.jpg

glad you're OK...

What was the best thing you took with you?
the worst thing you took?
And what should you had taken?... apart from

back to taking the piss
have you pictures of your bag:augie

Andrew it would be a good idea to say the size of each of the files so people have an idea of how long they will take to download;)

Back
Top Bottom