Altberg boots

Lowa Desert

hi
altbergs have a good following,
always wanted a pair ,on the bike use sidi courier ,have small metal plates on the front ,paintwork watch out . have used in the summer lowa desert elites , good boot ,have small vents on side mesh ,get nice cool air in . plenty all round protection .stiff in the right places.

+1 for Lowa Desert Elite :thumb2 :thumb2 :thumb2

Very sturdy stiff construction, great wide front protection, very soft (too much maybe...) sole which takes some of the vibrations away whilst riding on hard/uneven/rocky ground, very comfortable, surprisingly warm in winter and not too hot in summer...

Only wish they were much higher!

:D

Another here for Altberg's. Had Daytona Evo for over 5 years but needed resoling so weighed up the price of resoling a pair of 5 year old boots or getting something different.

The Altgergs toke over three month from going to the store and ordering, to collecting them from the store where I had a final fit to make sure the fitment was correct. I've now had them over three months and used them extensively before the arctic conditions arrived, and to be honest their more comfortable than the Daytona's and they were comfortable.

My personal opinion on the safety issue is every accident is different, sometimes we fall awkward and no matter what we are wearing it won't make a jot of difference! You can wear your back protector but for it to be effective it would need to be the thickness of a half dozen mattresses, or a nice pair of gloves with the fancy knuckle protection that will break your fingers if their pressed back, think I read in some bike rag that a pair of welding gloves gave more protection.

Maybe it's all down to luck 'who knows' or maybe it's like the drunk that falls down the stairs and takes his sober mate with him, the drunk gets up and walks away while his mate breaks his neck.

I don't know, don't care, the Altbergs are comfy as hell, I can wear them all day, waterproof and the soles grip like the provable shyt to a blanket. :thumb

Not to take anything away from what you're saying 'cos i don't know enough.:confused:
What has concerned me recently, was a mate who had an off (off road). He was wearing solid plastic type alpine stars MX boots. Powerful protection. Problem was he snapped both bones in his leg about half way down inside his boot. I have been wondering if the inflexibility of the boot caused that type of break:confused: He was thrown off, spun in the air and came down heavy on his leg. I wonder if a flexible boot may have allowed his leg to flex a bit and so not snap:confused:

any views?

Hi, I believe that proper off road bike boots are designed like ski boots, they protect the ankle and the foot by keeping them rigid/straight. But the shock from heavy fall has to go somewhere so the force is often 'directed' at the tibula and fibula higher up the leg. The idea being that the tib/fib breaks are easier to heal as they are big straight bones. The ankle and foot are hugely complicated and if you break those then it will take much much longer to heal and you will probably never heal 'right'. The knee is also a complicated joint so if I was to break a bone in the leg then I would hope that it was a tib/fib break (touch wood that it never happens!).

It is a controlled break really, kinda like a fuse in a circuit. A collar bone break is the same principle. If you have to then break something simple and easy to fix as opposed to something complicated and hard to fix.

I too would have liked a pair of alterbergs with good ankle protection and some impact protection on the shin.

Hi, I believe that proper off road bike boots are designed like ski boots, they protect the ankle and the foot by keeping them rigid/straight. But the shock from heavy fall has to go somewhere so the force is often 'directed' at the tibula and fibula higher up the leg. The idea being that the tib/fib breaks are easier to heal as they are big straight bones. The ankle and foot are hugely complicated and if you break those then it will take much much longer to heal and you will probably never heal 'right'. The knee is also a complicated joint so if I was to break a bone in the leg then I would hope that it was a tib/fib break (touch wood that it never happens!).

It is a controlled break really, kinda like a fuse in a circuit. A collar bone break is the same principle. If you have to then break something simple and easy to fix as opposed to something complicated and hard to fix.

I too would have liked a pair of alterbergs with good ankle protection and some impact protection on the shin.

I agree with you. I went to a talk by the Daytona boots importer about 3 years ago. He said one of the most common injuries was when the rider landed on his/her back and the rider's heels hit the road/track. When the rider lands like this, the feet and legs act like a whip. The resulting injuries are usually to the heel bone, which shatters. This is a permanently crippling injury so whatever boots you choose to wear should provide protection in this area.

im looking at getting a pair of altbergs, but cant get up to richmond to get a fitting,

am i right in thinking that you can just buy them "off the shelf" so to speak and they will be fine, just not as nice as getting them made to measure?

and if i do, are they the same sizings to what i usually wear? im an 8 or euro 42, so take it this is what i would order?

i will get aroudn to caling them but working all weekend and most of next week so wont get the chance!

cheers
jon

:beerjug:

You can buy mail order but they recommend you visit for a sizing. They only carry limited stock as most are made to order.

I was lucky when I went to see them, they had my size on the shelf, I love my Altbergs.

...When the rider lands like this, the feet and legs act like a whip. The resulting injuries are usually to the heel bone, which shatters. This is a permanently crippling injury so whatever boots you choose to wear should provide protection in this area.

That's exactly what happened to me! 45mph spill, the heel of my right foot struck the ground very hard as above and brok the talus - which is the castle shaped bone in the middle of your ankle. Took two attempts to fix it properly and is now screwed together.

FWIW I was wearing Alt Berg Classics, which I rate highly for comfort and warmth. I'd like to buy a pair of boots that would protect from a similar spill if I was every unlucky again, but short of wearing off road boots (I'm on a GT), I'm not sure of any boots that foot the bill :)

Mike

Broke my ankle in a very minor off with Alt Bergs, I am sure if I had been wearing ankle protected bike boots I would have got away with it did it last August still giving me grief
cheers jim

Back
Top Bottom